AMD's Website has Barcelona on it...

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
The native quad core design. This could help the launch on Monday rumor. Wonder if they will...
www.amd.com
The flash thing is here:
http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/quadcore/
Why would they put this on their site?

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
You know, a recommendation to AMD --- stop advertising your product on what you competition does... the first thing that hits you is 'FSB is bottlenecked' --- the first thing you see is 'why you shouldn't buy my competitor' rather than 'why you should buy my processor'.

It makes it appear like they are chasing.

You are right... but...

This strategy worked well for AMD 3 years ago.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
You know, a recommendation to AMD --- stop advertising your product on what you competition does... the first thing that hits you is 'FSB is bottlenecked' --- the first thing you see is 'why you shouldn't buy my competitor' rather than 'why you should buy my processor'.

You are right... but...

This strategy worked well for AMD 3 years ago.

I would disagree, what worked well for them 3 years ago was producing a better product.

It also contradicts their assertion that they are the industry leader.
None of what you said answered my question.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
AMD say: look hahaha, Intel have to use huge L2 cache on there chips to beat our slimline efficiant CPU

Customer says: So the Intel CPU is faster then, umm whats cache?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
It's not news that you are right; however, they're mistakenly trying to react in a situation of stall until Barcelona is out. They should rather do what Intel did; start delivering ESs and showing benchmarks.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
They need just one more step to freeze almost all the Clovertown buyers; Show some winning benchmarks as soon as possible. Adding to this the fact that Intel chips are going to swap socket sooner rather than later would give AMD a lot of time and valuable money.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
They need just one more step to freeze almost all the Clovertown buyers; Show some winning benchmarks as soon as possible. Adding to this the fact that Intel chips are going to swap socket sooner rather than later would give AMD a lot of time and valuable money.

There are no new sockets until CSI comes some time mid 2008, the 45nm units this year will still use exactly the same sockets. Also AMD are not going to be able to release winning benchmarks, because Intel have an ace up there sleeve in the form of the unreleased, but very available (when Intel deem fit) Xeon 5365, 3GHz quad core part. Intel have demo’d it god knows how many times, they are just waiting till AMD makes a move, then are going to gate crash the party...

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Jack, seems Intel have stated that VRM 11.0 will last out until LGA775 dies off with CSI, LGA1366 Nehalem CPU's in mod 2008, at this socket is the first to come with VRM 11.1. Knowing that, the only future left for LGA775 is a slight speed boost to 1333MHz, that Asus for one already have stated that most of the current mobos will support without any issues. http://event.asus.com/mb/fsb1333/

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

:cry: I was having a good day until I found out my FSB was bottlenecked. :x

I can OC my FSB to 1960MHz but this doesn't seem to help any.

Oh well, should I just be content with my e6700 running at 3.5 GHz with a bottlenecked FSB or should I buy an AMD X2????

Can someone help me comphrehend the bottlenecked FSB thing?

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
oooooh shiny I want one so bad...imagine if those seti numbers are real.

I love how the flash presentation rips on intel so bad... "we think fsb is GAY and your gonna have to upgrade it again later!"

Maybe the fear of loosing the datacenter segment scared them into an early release

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Thanks, this would explain why when I go between 3.2GHz with a 1600 FSB vs a 1280 FSB there is no difference. This would also explain why I really see no benefit in OC my Ram from 800MHz to 1.07GHz.

At least I have never seen a difference while playing Windows Solitare. :lol:

So if the K8s have most this stuff, why do they still suck so bad? j/k

The L3 cache and instructions should really help. Was the direct memory addressing between hardware and CPU cache aimed at Video Hardware Addressing to the CPU. Couldn't this give the K10 a big boost if games/video encoding? Or am I high on crack and misunderstood? Or just high on crack? :lol:

edit: Could AMD be releasing a DX10 video card that can address a CPU directly??? Could they be making a technology that will only work if you have an AMD K10 and Their video card?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
LOL, the VAST, VAST majority of customers (or potential ones) don't know anything about FSB, architecture, or the like. They don't know and they don't care. They only know "Core2Duo is FAST and pretty cheap, and is waaaay better than what I got now. I'll buy that!"

We can sit here and wax philosophical about technical nuances, etc but the profits don't come from us.....we're minnows in their sales ocean. C2D is mainstream and big profit/sales. Barcelona isn't/won't be. Such a shame, I wish AMD would bring a mainstream giant-killer to the table and give consumers better choices at better prices. Looks like not.

not_this_punk

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
guess you think you're pretty cool eh talking about your overclocking and your crack euphoria. damn man, is it hard being that stupid?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
[quote="JumpingJack"To be fair.... AMD has lead the industry in areas, the interconnect fabric is well done.... the APM machinery they have prefected overtime is very good ... and the K8/Opteron lead the pack for a long time.[/quote]Being fair isn't fun. :wink: