setup of W2K after a drive failure

First thx to RC for help a weeks or so ago.

I now have C: and D: on a new HDD, both have identical
copies of W2K at the moment

I seem to be booting from the D: partition is there an
easy way getting back to (traditionally) using C: ?

Can I just delete stuff on D: and boot will find the C:
version?
tia
Philip
7 answers Last reply
More about setup drive failure

    See reply in .win2000.file_system
    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Philip43" wrote:
    | First thx to RC for help a weeks or so ago.
    |
    | I now have C: and D: on a new HDD, both have identical
    | copies of W2K at the moment
    |
    | I seem to be booting from the D: partition is there an
    | easy way getting back to (traditionally) using C: ?
    |
    | Can I just delete stuff on D: and boot will find the C:
    | version?
    | tia
    | Philip

    Thx for reponse Dave
    I don't want a clean install ( need to retain data like
    email folders, favorites etc)

    C: and D: were restored after much anguish using
    DriveImage.System boots ok - I guess I am nit picking again

    I will look at .win2000.file_system
    philip43

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
    unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"Philip43" wrote:
    >| First thx to RC for help a weeks or so ago.
    >|
    >| I now have C: and D: on a new HDD, both have identical
    >| copies of W2K at the moment
    >|
    >| I seem to be booting from the D: partition is there an
    >| easy way getting back to (traditionally) using C: ?
    >|
    >| Can I just delete stuff on D: and boot will find the C:
    >| version?
    >| tia
    >| Philip
    >

    >.

    You can probably import those items depending on your email software.
    Details of "booting from the D: partition" might help; to me this might mean
    D:\ is the active partition or it might also mean that the default OS to
    start in boot.ini is on the second partition.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Thx for reponse Dave
    | I don't want a clean install ( need to retain data like
    | email folders, favorites etc)
    |
    | C: and D: were restored after much anguish using
    | DriveImage.System boots ok - I guess I am nit picking again
    |
    | I will look at .win2000.file_system
    | philip43

    ah yes I was wondering if boot.ini played a part

    here, boot.ini is found in both C:\WINNT and D:\WINNT -
    which one takes precedence?

    Maybe you can point me at a site which explains how
    boot.ini works?
    thx
    philip43

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Thx for reponse Dave
    >| I don't want a clean install ( need to retain data like
    >| email folders, favorites etc)
    >|
    >| C: and D: were restored after much anguish using
    >| DriveImage.System boots ok - I guess I am nit picking
    again

    >| I will look at .win2000.file_system
    >| philip43
    >

    >.

    my C:\WINNT\boot.ini looks like:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="win2k on
    D:" /fastdetect

    my D:\WINNT\boot.ini is eaxctly the same.

    Regards
    philip43

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Thx for reponse Dave
    >| I don't want a clean install ( need to retain data like
    >| email folders, favorites etc)
    >|
    >| C: and D: were restored after much anguish using
    >| DriveImage.System boots ok - I guess I am nit picking
    again

    >| I will look at .win2000.file_system
    >| philip43
    >

    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The only one used is on the system partition (first primary active
    partition) You can check this in Disk Management. From the "Run" box;
    diskmgmt.msc

    These article may also help.

    Purpose of the Boot.ini file
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];99743

    BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];102873

    Boot.ini options
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];170756

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | ah yes I was wondering if boot.ini played a part
    |
    | here, boot.ini is found in both C:\WINNT and D:\WINNT -
    | which one takes precedence?
    |
    | Maybe you can point me at a site which explains how
    | boot.ini works?
    | thx
    | philip43
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This line;
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    means to start the operating system on the first partition on drive0
    drive zero is almost always the drive setup as master on the primary IDE
    channel. If you have another OS on the second partition then try something
    like this.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="win2k 0,1" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="win2k 0,2" /fastdetect

    You can create a boot floppy if you don't want to edit boot.ini on the
    system partition. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk
    must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000
    machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
    then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it as above and boot this
    floppy.

    --

    "philip43" wrote:
    | my C:\WINNT\boot.ini looks like:
    |
    | [boot loader]
    | timeout=30
    | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    | [operating systems]
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="win2k on
    | D:" /fastdetect
    |
    | my D:\WINNT\boot.ini is eaxctly the same.
    |
    | Regards
    | philip43

    | >|
    | >| C: and D: were restored after much anguish using
    | >| DriveImage.System boots ok - I guess I am nit picking
    | again
    | >|
    | >| I will look at .win2000.file_system
    | >| philip43