Win Xp doesnt recognise secondary hdd

dragjam

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
i have a secondary hard drive with about 70 gigs of data on it. now after a re installation of windows xp on my main hard drive windows no longer recognizes the second hard drive it sees it in device manager and BIOS but says its status is foreign in storage manager.
anyway what i want to know is can i get Xp to recognize the drive without formatting it again

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
In Disk Management right click on the drive and give it a letter. This should correct the problem as long as it's not the drive with the OS on.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hey what a coincidence! My friend gave me a WD 20GB and it never showed up at all on Windows. I was going to load an OS on it and put it in a reeaally old Dell for my bro, but it wasn't worth much anyway... :cry:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Hey what a coincidence! My friend gave me a WD 20GB and it never showed up at all on Windows. I was going to load an OS on it and put it in a reeaally old Dell for my bro, but it wasn't worth much anyway... :cry:

I may have misunderstood the above but you can still set the drive up of Windows if it's working. Install it as the slave, go to WD web site and download the DOS version of their set up program, put it on a Floppy and boot off the Floppy. One of the options will be to format the drive, which will wipe everything out and then install the drive into the old Dell and install Windows. What you can't do is change the letter of the drive or partition the OS is on and continue to use the OS, i.e., you have to reinstall the OS if you want to change the drive letter..

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Well I think my conclusion is that the drive is physically defective, because even the bios didn't find it. Thanks for the help though. It's not worth troubleshooting because I didn't have anything on the drive and really don't need it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Why not put it in the old computer and let you bro work on it? Get him the mfg software, put it on a floppy, and set him lose Could be a good learning experience.