Command line window default directory

When I start the Command Processor using Start/Run, the default directory of
the window that opens is

C:\Documents and Setttings\Administrator

I login with a username of "Administrator."

How can I change the default to the root directory (C:\)?

John Wirt
4 answers Last reply
More about command line window default directory

    Create a desktop shortcut to;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
    and place
    C:\
    in the "Start in:" box.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    John Wirt wrote:

    > When I start the Command Processor using Start/Run, the default directory of
    > the window that opens is
    >
    > C:\Documents and Setttings\Administrator
    >
    > I login with a username of "Administrator."
    >
    > How can I change the default to the root directory (C:\)?

    FWIW, here's my response to this question the last time you posted it
    in July:

    --------------------------- (snip )
    -----------------------------------

    Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
    shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
    it start in any directory you want.

    I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
    RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
    that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
    active windows.

    Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
    in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
    by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
    and select <Advanced> then <New>

    Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
    Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
    (without quotes).

    OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
    on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
    Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
    a lot of time navigating in the command window.

    --------------------------- (snip )
    -----------------------------------

    I have created a short cut. and it works. It should be possible to change
    the default directory for cmd executed from the Run box. I have three
    different Win2K computer and they all open to a different defulat directory.
    Somewhere (I think it's somewhere in the registry) it must be possible to
    change the defulat. Alternatively, t may have something to do with the
    environment variables.

    John

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > John Wirt wrote:
    > >
    > > When I start the Command Processor using Start/Run, the default
    directory of
    > > the window that opens is
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Setttings\Administrator
    > >
    > > I login with a username of "Administrator."
    > >
    > > How can I change the default to the root directory (C:\)?
    >

    > FWIW, here's my response to this question the last time you posted it
    > in July:
    >

    > --------------------------- (snip )
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
    > shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
    > it start in any directory you want.
    >
    > I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
    > RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
    > that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
    > active windows.
    >

    > Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
    > in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
    > by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
    > and select <Advanced> then <New>
    >
    > Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
    > Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
    > (without quotes).
    >
    > OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
    > on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
    > Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
    > a lot of time navigating in the command window.
    >
    > --------------------------- (snip )
    > -----------------------------------

    Woof,

    See Gary Smith'sresponse below.

    John

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > John Wirt wrote:
    > >
    > > When I start the Command Processor using Start/Run, the default
    directory of
    > > the window that opens is
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Setttings\Administrator
    > >
    > > I login with a username of "Administrator."
    > >
    > > How can I change the default to the root directory (C:\)?
    >

    > FWIW, here's my response to this question the last time you posted it
    > in July:
    >

    > --------------------------- (snip )
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
    > shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
    > it start in any directory you want.
    >
    > I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
    > RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
    > that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
    > active windows.
    >

    > Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
    > in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
    > by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
    > and select <Advanced> then <New>
    >
    > Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
    > Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
    > (without quotes).
    >
    > OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
    > on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
    > Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
    > a lot of time navigating in the command window.

Default Command Line Microsoft Command Prompt Windows