Win2000 sees wrong hard drive size.

I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss something
in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.
3 answers Last reply
More about win2000 sees wrong hard drive size

    Even if you slipstream SP4 into your install Windows 2000 won't see the
    entire drive till after the install and the registry hack.

    48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "nojyttap" wrote:
    |I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
    | Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
    | During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss
    something
    | in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.

    Thanks Dave!
    So go ahead and install the OS then Service pack 4 (or is there a #5?) then
    hack the regisrty? OK, then what's the hack?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Even if you slipstream SP4 into your install Windows 2000 won't see the
    > entire drive till after the install and the registry hack.
    >
    > 48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "nojyttap" wrote:
    > |I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
    > | Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
    > | During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss
    > something
    > | in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.

    See the article.

    --

    "nojyttap" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave!
    | So go ahead and install the OS then Service pack 4 (or is there a #5?)
    then
    | hack the regisrty? OK, then what's the hack?

Disk Management Hard Drives Windows