Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Win2000 sees wrong hard drive size.

Tags:
  • Disk Management
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 12:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss something
in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.

More about : win2000 sees wrong hard drive size

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:58:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Even if you slipstream SP4 into your install Windows 2000 won't see the
entire drive till after the install and the registry hack.

48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"nojyttap" wrote:
|I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
| Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
| During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss
something
| in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:58:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Thanks Dave!
So go ahead and install the OS then Service pack 4 (or is there a #5?) then
hack the regisrty? OK, then what's the hack?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Even if you slipstream SP4 into your install Windows 2000 won't see the
> entire drive till after the install and the registry hack.
>
> 48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "nojyttap" wrote:
> |I just built a new computer with a 160GB hard drive. When I try to install
> | Win2000 and go to Disk Management it shows that my drive is only 128GB.
> | During startup the BIOS recognizes the drive correctly. Did I miss
> something
> | in my set up? I'm using a bootable CD version of Win2000 Professional.
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:42:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

See the article.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"nojyttap" wrote:
| Thanks Dave!
| So go ahead and install the OS then Service pack 4 (or is there a #5?)
then
| hack the regisrty? OK, then what's the hack?