Sign in with
Your question

Please help me share my printer on this network~ thx

Last response: in Networking
November 26, 2006 4:01:03 PM

Hey all,

I'm about to try to figure out how to do this, but in the mean time I wondered if any of you had a better (easier) solution.

The DGL4300 portion of the network resides in my house. PC#1 is my g/f's laptop, and it's set up to be able to print to the print server wirelessly. The DI624 and other pcs are in my garage, and I'd like to be able to print to the print server from that portion of the network.

I can barely connect to the DGL4300 wirelessly from the garage due to distance and structural interference, and it's a pain to have to switch to that network every time I want to print something. Additionally I'd like to be able to share files between the two networks (PC#4 is set up as a server of sorts).

Can anyone here offer any advice on the matter? I can provide additional details if you need them

Thanks!

November 26, 2006 7:58:29 PM

Easy. Put the DI624 into Access Point mode - turn off the DHCP server, NAT server, etc. Make everything one big happy LAN. Then, put all your PCs into the same workgroup. Done.
Anonymous
November 26, 2006 8:09:39 PM

And connect the network cable to a local port on the DI-624 and NOT the Internet Port.

Grumpy
Related resources
November 26, 2006 8:38:19 PM

Quote:
And coonect the network cable to a local port on the DI-624 and NOT the Internet Port.

Grumpy
Are you sure? I haven't set up a DI-624 as an AP, but the routers I have set up as APs still want the connection to the router to be made from the WAN port (according to their documentation - and they have worked as documented).
November 27, 2006 1:26:50 AM

Quote:
Easy. Put the DI624 into Access Point mode - turn off the DHCP server, NAT server, etc. Make everything one big happy LAN. Then, put all your PCs into the same workgroup. Done.

Hmm. I like the simplicity of this idea, but I kind of want to keep the two networks separate. If I can't find a way to do that then this way will work. Thanks.

Also, I'll check the documentation of the 624 as what port to connect the incoming cable for the AP feature.
November 27, 2006 2:15:38 AM

I added the one workgroup part because you wanted to share folders / files. You do not need to put everything into one workgroup just to access the printer. If you generally trust the users of the different computers, keeping separate workgroups on the same LAN will at least prevent accidental snooping!
November 27, 2006 4:51:18 AM

Hmm. Ok, I've played with this setup for the better part of 4 hours and have come to these conclusions (PC#2 is the main testbed for this):

1) I can use routing so that I can see the DGL4300 from PC#2, behind the DI624. Woot!
2) I can ping the print server from PC#2. Woot!
3) I cannot access any shares from PC#2 and PC#1. Meh.
4) I cannot print to the print server from PC#2.
5) It's very easy to lock up the DGL4300, needing a manufacturer's reset, by entering a setting it doesn't like in the routing table. (Took me one try before I got smart and backed up the router settings-doh!)

So upon thinking about it, there's really no reason why I even need the DI624 to be a router at all--like Ice said, make it an access point and be done with it.

I'm doing that next. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Anonymous
November 27, 2006 10:23:44 AM

Quote:
And coonect the network cable to a local port on the DI-624 and NOT the Internet Port.

Grumpy
Are you sure? I haven't set up a DI-624 as an AP, but the routers I have set up as APs still want the connection to the router to be made from the WAN port (according to their documentation - and they have worked as documented).

Yes, I am. For all computers to be able to access each other, they need to be in the same IP address range (ie. 192.168.1.X) since they are private NON-ROUTABLE IP addresses. The DI-624 should have an IP Address in the same range as the DGL4300 also.

Grumpy
November 27, 2006 11:06:55 AM

Quote:

Grumpy

Yes, I am. For all computers to be able to access each other, they need to be in the same IP address range (ie. 192.168.1.X) since they are private NON-ROUTABLE IP addresses. The DI-624 should have an IP Address in the same range as the DGL4300 also.

GrumpyI agree with your last two sentences. What I was questioning was whether that would be violated once the router is made into an AP. I haven't spent any time peeking and probing into the internal secrets of these little boxes, but the ones I have set up to be APs say in their documentation to connect the WAN port to the router. Everything does remain in the same local LAN. So, the router-now-AP must be smart enough internally to know the WAN port is now no longer a "WAN."

The user does need to check the documentation, though, since what you say "should" be correct if the router makes no change to how it treats the WAN port when in the AP mode.
November 27, 2006 6:46:06 PM

From the horse's mouth (Dlink's 624 FAQ):

To connect a router to an existing router, please follow the steps below:

Step 1 Do not use the WAN port on the second router. Use a cross-over cable and connect for LAN port to LAN port.

Step 2 You will need to change the LAN IP address of the second router to something other than the default 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.2 for example).

Step 3 Disable DHCP on the second router. To disable DHCP, go into the routers configuration > Home > DHCP. Click Disable and then click apply.

Step 4 You computer will not receive a DHCP address from you DHCP server so you will need to set the IP addresses statically on your computers.

:)  Cheers
November 27, 2006 6:55:40 PM

Your computers should receive an IP address from the DHCP server in your DGL4300. You shouldn't have to set them manually.
!