Transferring Hard Disk with win2K to new system

We have an older workstation in which the motherboard has
died. We have replaced the whole system but if possible
would like to install the old hard disk and some how
refresh the Hardware settings? I believe this is not
possible but would save me a considerable amount of time
if it was.

Any advice would be great.
Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about transferring hard disk win2k system

    how similar in hardware is the new system, if it is totally
    different you can try but best idea would be to in install
    all afresh.

    If new system has a hard drive use the HD manufacturer
    transfer software

    failing this, and when you have backed up any data you want
    to keep, plug the new drive in as master boot from CD, run a
    repair install, and hope a bit.

    I personally would go for the new install, I have tried a
    couple of what you want to do and the install is never
    "quite right", if course if you no longer have the software
    install CDs or numbers you might have very little option

    good luck

    Geoff

    "Mark Rudloff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:19a101c49a0e$824a3ee0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > We have an older workstation in which the motherboard has
    > died. We have replaced the whole system but if possible
    > would like to install the old hard disk and some how
    > refresh the Hardware settings? I believe this is not
    > possible but would save me a considerable amount of time
    > if it was.
    >
    > Any advice would be great.
    > Mark

    Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
    old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
    very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
    subsequent hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Mark Rudloff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have an older workstation in which the motherboard has
    > died. We have replaced the whole system but if possible
    > would like to install the old hard disk and some how
    > refresh the Hardware settings? I believe this is not
    > possible but would save me a considerable amount of time
    > if it was.
    >
    > Any advice would be great.
    > Mark

Workstations Hard Drives Microsoft Windows