connecting 2 computers with a 56K modem & router

Hi,

I have 2 computers 1 with built in ethernet connected to a router and another computer which doesn't have built in ethernet but has a 56K modem. Is it possible to connect the computer without ethernet to the router using the 56K modem and share files between the 2 computers?

If its possible will the transfer speed be limited by the 56K modem and so i'll be better off buying a NIC for the other computer? If so which brand of NIC should I buy from these 3 choices realtek, SMC or netcomm? The computer that needs the card is old so basically I don't want to buy a NIC that uses the cpu.
2 answers Last reply
More about connecting computers modem router
  1. Quote:
    I have 2 computers 1 with built in ethernet connected to a router and another computer which doesn't have built in ethernet but has a 56K modem. Is it possible to connect the computer without ethernet to the router using the 56K modem and share files between the 2 computers?
    Not with any router I'm familiar with. Doesn't mean such a router doesn't exist, but...
    Quote:
    If its possible will the transfer speed be limited by the 56K modem and so i'll be better off buying a NIC for the other computer?
    Yes and yes.
    Quote:
    If so which brand of NIC should I buy from these 3 choices realtek, SMC or netcomm? The computer that needs the card is old so basically I don't want to buy a NIC that uses the cpu.
    If you have an old PC, you need to pay attention to the specs on your PCI bus and make sure the card will work. PCI has gone through a couple of revisions of the specs, and the adapters are not always backwards compatible. You may have your choices limited by what will work on our motherboard.

    Does your old PC have USB? Even USB 1.1 would be a lot faster than a 56K modem.
  2. unfortunately my old computer doesn't have usb.

    the 56K modem is a netcomm "inmodem 56 v.92" (main title of the packaging) or IN5699_4 which has installation instructions for windows xp and it works in the pci slot of my old computer so hopefully the old computer pci slots will work for any NIC.

    After reading the wikipedia article on PCI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect
    I get the feeling its the new PCI slots that aren't backward compatible not the other way around e.g. "PCI 3.0 is the final official standard of the bus, completely removing 5-volt capability" whereas the conventional hardware specs supports both 3.3 or 5-volt signaling. But I wouldn't know. I wasn't following hardware during the PCI days.

    I'm planning to get the NIC from this store
    http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

    i'm getting the cheap ones the $8 and $13 cards and it doesn't list detailed specs for those NIC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Computers Ethernet Card Modem Networking