Sign in with
Your question

TV Tuner w/ component in&pci-express

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2007 10:10:38 PM

I think i'm looking for a tv tuner card that doesn't exist.

Basically i'm looking for a card that has these features:
pci-express,
component input to input my wii and future xbox 360,
tv-tuner - record, watch tv,
remote,
and the software.

I'm willing to settle with a tv tuner card with these:
tv-tuner - i can watch, record tv,
composite input for my wii and future xbox 360
i would prefer a pci-express card.

Now i've bee eye-balling the ati tv wonder 650 pro i think its called.

If what i want exists great otherwise what is you're opinion on the tv wonder 650? I didn't see much at newegg as far as pci-express tv tuner cards. Don't know why there aren't more of them.

Thanks for any advice!
March 3, 2007 11:18:55 PM

Quote:
This will do everything you want, has two tuners, and a better picture quality than the Theater650 (which, btw, had hardware issues earlier in the release; not sure the resolution):

http://www.vistaview.tv/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Money where my mouth (keyboard?) is:

http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

that's a nice card unfortunately its not available anywhere.

edit:
actually i found it - a bit too pricey i think. I'm looking at around a 100 dollar ball park figure.
Related resources
March 3, 2007 11:47:01 PM

its a good card but not exactly what i'm looking for. There is no composite/component inputs.

Let me clarify as to what i'm looking for:

Tv tuner,
Composite in AND Component in
PCI-Express

pip is nice and recording two shows at once without cpu usage is impressive but it's not what i'm looking for unfortunately.
March 4, 2007 12:47:13 AM

Well, 2 out of 3....? I guess I overlooked it becuase it's my video card that has those inputs. I don't think you're going to find those features in the price range you're looking at. I know the Theater 650 has a Audio / Video Input Block, but I'm not sure of its features. As I said ^^^, careful with that card, because they had hardward problems and pulled it back from their vendors, at one point last October.

These Hauppauge cards have composite input, as most TV tuners, but not component , and they are all PCI:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare/compare_pvr.html

Here's a couple of other resources, perhaps that will help:

http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.links.htm

http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php
March 4, 2007 5:08:40 AM

Ya i looked at the Hauppauge cards and the only problem with those is that they state they don't provide software or very limited software.

I kind of figured i wasn't going to get what i want since i've looked every where already. Was hoping perhaps i missed something.

I was hoping i could get a pci-express card because i have pci-express slots.

oh well ... pci will have to do.
March 4, 2007 1:39:29 PM

Quote:
I kind of figured i wasn't going to get what i want since i've looked every where already.
Hence my sig. Cheers.
March 4, 2007 3:17:39 PM

Quote:
I kind of figured i wasn't going to get what i want since i've looked every where already.
Hence my sig. Cheers.

I've been looking at either Sage TV Bundle or Complete solution or pvr 150 bundles. Beyond TV appears to be the better bundle. But not sure if i should get the complete solution or the pvr 150. i don't have digital cable i just have analogue cable.
March 4, 2007 5:46:54 PM

The digital stuff is a bit misleading -- it only does over-the-air (OTA) capture through an external antenna. If you've got a digital cable box (I know, you don't), then you still have to take an analog output from it to feed into your tuner, and you loose the internal channel changing abilities. IOW, it's a bit of a waste. Nice thing about Hauppauge cards is they already have the Vista drivers posted (not that I would use Vista; echh!). I think you'll find some real advantages to the two tuner setup, as well. I've recorded two programs simultaneously with my Saber, and they rendered perfectly. I can't comment on BeyondTV, as I've never used it. I use MCE.
March 4, 2007 7:15:47 PM

ahh i did not know that about digital stuff.

I have windows xp pro and have plans for vista down the road only because my profession requires me to know it. Worst case i'll just dual boot.

i've been looking at DIAMOND PVR560PCISB PCI Interface XtremeTV PVR560 TV Tuner and i think i'll get this as the price is right. It'll do what i want it too. hopefully.

If i find i want 2 tuners well "beyond tv" supports multiple tuners as long as they are either both hardware or software based.

I've read reviews on the card and they are mostly good. Some of the complaints i find seem to be user errors or justs being too picky about the features. If i find i need a remote there are options to just buy one later.

If you got opinions on that card i wouldn't mind reading it.

thanks for your suggestions and advice!

Quote:
The digital stuff is a bit misleading -- it only does over-the-air (OTA) capture through an external antenna. If you've got a digital cable box (I know, you don't), then you still have to take an analog output from it to feed into your tuner, and you loose the internal channel changing abilities. IOW, it's a bit of a waste. Nice thing about Hauppauge cards is they already have the Vista drivers posted (not that I would use Vista; echh!). I think you'll find some real advantages to the two tuner setup, as well. I've recorded two programs simultaneously with my Saber, and they rendered perfectly. I can't comment on BeyondTV, as I've never used it. I use MCE.
March 4, 2007 7:31:09 PM

My pleasure. Yeah, BeyondTV would be better for mult. tuners, as you have to modify the registry in Vista to get the second card recognized. Another Vista gem, eh? Good luck; have fun! (How can we not if were watching TV? :) 
March 18, 2007 5:43:18 PM

nothing
March 23, 2007 1:54:42 AM

I read a review on the egg that said that the included software lagged with his PS2 so he used Media Player Classic.

which Hauppauge btw?
!