dual boot 2000 and windows 95

I have a computer with two physical drives (must be this
way due to software limitations). One has Windows 95 and
the other has Windows 2000. I need to edit the boot.ini
file to allow me to select either one at boot up but I
cannot figure out the right settings. Should I put them
on separate IDE controllers as well? Right now they are
on the same with the 2000 as master and 95 as slave.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about dual boot 2000 windows

    "donald" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a computer with two physical drives (must be this
    > way due to software limitations). One has Windows 95 and
    > the other has Windows 2000. I need to edit the boot.ini
    > file to allow me to select either one at boot up but I
    > cannot figure out the right settings. Should I put them
    > on separate IDE controllers as well? Right now they are
    > on the same with the 2000 as master and 95 as slave.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    - If your Win2000 disk is the primary master disk, can
    you boot into Win2000?
    - If your Win95 disk is the primary master disk, can
    you boot into Win95?
    - Is your Win2000 partition a FAT or an NTFS partition?

    I have them now on separate IDE controllers and yes I can
    boot to both of them when I set them to boot first in the
    BIOS.

    The Windows partition is NTFS.

    Thanks

    Since each OS is visible on drive C: when it runs in its own
    right, it must always remain visible on drive C:. This means
    that you must use a third party boot loader. I recommend
    XOSL: It has a nice user interface, it can boot into any disk,
    and it's free. Try this:

    - Make your Win2000 disk the primary master disk.
    - Make your Win95 disk the primary slave disk.
    - Boot the machine with a Win95 boot diskette.
    - Load XOSL into your existing Win95 partition. Take care
    NOT to select the "Dedicated partition" option!
    - Add the Win2000 and the Win95 OSs to the XOSL menu.
    - Instruct XOSL to swap disks when booting into Win95.

    When you now boot into Win2000, you will see the Win95
    disk as drive D:. When you boot into Win95, you will
    only see drive C:.

    > I have them now on separate IDE controllers and yes I can
    > boot to both of them when I set them to boot first in the
    > BIOS.
    >
    > The Windows partition is NTFS.
    >
    > Thanks

    I am lost at the part where I boot with a 95 boot disk.
    How do I load XOSL into the win95 partition? Are there
    instructions on the download page?

    XOSL comes as a zipped up file. After you unzip it,
    you will find the installation program "install.bat". If you
    are unfamiliar with this sort of standard approach
    then I recommend you ask a computer-savvy friend
    to assist you.

Dual Boot Windows 95 Windows