dual boot 2000 and windows 95

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 15, 2004 9:28:49 AM

I have a computer with two physical drives (must be this
way due to software limitations). One has Windows 95 and
the other has Windows 2000. I need to edit the boot.ini
file to allow me to select either one at boot up but I
cannot figure out the right settings. Should I put them
on separate IDE controllers as well? Right now they are
on the same with the 2000 as master and 95 as slave.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

More about : dual boot 2000 windows

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:59:28 AM

"donald" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a computer with two physical drives (must be this
> way due to software limitations). One has Windows 95 and
> the other has Windows 2000. I need to edit the boot.ini
> file to allow me to select either one at boot up but I
> cannot figure out the right settings. Should I put them
> on separate IDE controllers as well? Right now they are
> on the same with the 2000 as master and 95 as slave.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> TIA

- If your Win2000 disk is the primary master disk, can
you boot into Win2000?
- If your Win95 disk is the primary master disk, can
you boot into Win95?
- Is your Win2000 partition a FAT or an NTFS partition?
September 16, 2004 3:59:29 AM

I have them now on separate IDE controllers and yes I can
boot to both of them when I set them to boot first in the
BIOS.

The Windows partition is NTFS.

Thanks

September 16, 2004 5:12:57 AM

Since each OS is visible on drive C: when it runs in its own
right, it must always remain visible on drive C:. This means
that you must use a third party boot loader. I recommend
XOSL: It has a nice user interface, it can boot into any disk,
and it's free. Try this:

- Make your Win2000 disk the primary master disk.
- Make your Win95 disk the primary slave disk.
- Boot the machine with a Win95 boot diskette.
- Load XOSL into your existing Win95 partition. Take care
NOT to select the "Dedicated partition" option!
- Add the Win2000 and the Win95 OSs to the XOSL menu.
- Instruct XOSL to swap disks when booting into Win95.

When you now boot into Win2000, you will see the Win95
disk as drive D:. When you boot into Win95, you will
only see drive C:.

> I have them now on separate IDE controllers and yes I can
> boot to both of them when I set them to boot first in the
> BIOS.
>
> The Windows partition is NTFS.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 5:12:58 AM

I am lost at the part where I boot with a 95 boot disk.
How do I load XOSL into the win95 partition? Are there
instructions on the download page?

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 11:29:25 AM

XOSL comes as a zipped up file. After you unzip it,
you will find the installation program "install.bat". If you
are unfamiliar with this sort of standard approach
then I recommend you ask a computer-savvy friend
to assist you.

!