Boot to dos prompt?

Hi- I am getting an error pertaining to ntoskrnl.exe being
missing. I need to alter the boot.ini file but I can't
get past the error.
Is it possible to boot the machine up and go directly to
dos?
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about boot prompt

    "Steve Wilson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi- I am getting an error pertaining to ntoskrnl.exe being
    > missing. I need to alter the boot.ini file but I can't
    > get past the error.
    > Is it possible to boot the machine up and go directly to
    > dos?
    > Thanks.

    When you write "DOS Prompt", you probably mean the
    Command Prompt. This is a child process under Windows -
    it cannot run without Windows.

    If your system partition is FAT32 then you can boot your
    machine with a DOS boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
    and edit boot.ini.

    If your system partition is NTFS then you have to install your
    disk temporarily as a slave disk in some other Win2000/XP
    machine to edit boot.ini.

    You could also reboot the machine with your Win2000 CD,
    get into the Command Console, then replace boot.ini with a
    version that you supply on floppy disk.

    wrote in message
    >> Hi- I am getting an error pertaining to ntoskrnl.exe
    being
    >> missing. I need to alter the boot.ini file but I can't
    >> get past the error.
    >> Is it possible to boot the machine up and go directly to
    >> dos?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >When you write "DOS Prompt", you probably mean the
    >Command Prompt. This is a child process under Windows -
    >it cannot run without Windows.
    >
    >If your system partition is FAT32 then you can boot your
    >machine with a DOS boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
    >and edit boot.ini.
    >
    >If your system partition is NTFS then you have to install
    your
    >disk temporarily as a slave disk in some other Win2000/XP
    >machine to edit boot.ini.
    >
    >You could also reboot the machine with your Win2000 CD,
    >get into the Command Console, then replace boot.ini with a
    >version that you supply on floppy disk.
    >

    >.
    >Thanks for the advice- I'll give it a try.

    >>> dos?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>
    >>When you write "DOS Prompt", you probably mean the
    >>Command Prompt. This is a child process under Windows -
    >>it cannot run without Windows.
    >>
    >>If your system partition is FAT32 then you can boot your
    >>machine with a DOS boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
    >>and edit boot.ini.
    >>
    >>If your system partition is NTFS then you have to
    install
    >your
    >>disk temporarily as a slave disk in some other Win2000/XP
    >>machine to edit boot.ini.
    >>
    >>You could also reboot the machine with your Win2000 CD,
    >>get into the Command Console, then replace boot.ini with
    >>version that you supply on floppy disk.
    >>

    >>.
    >>Thanks for the advice- I'll give it a try.
    >.
    >I was able to get the pc to bbot up with the dos boot
    disk and I can move around in dos. However, I cannot seem
    to find the boot.ini file, nor can I run the 'edit'
    command. Also, I have copied the ntoskrnl.exe file into
    \windows\system32 but I still get the same error.
    I'm stumped as I can't seem to get pst the error when
    run the recovery console form the installation cd.

    Any help/suggestions would be rgeatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Steve -
    - boot.ini is a hidden readonly system file in the root dir. Remove
    those attributes to see/edit it.

    - edit boot.ini with notepad, it's just ordinary text.

    - I can't tell from the thread so far, but if the system on the
    partition is a working system, you might be able to start it by (on some
    other W2k system, MUST be W2k) formatting a diskette, then copying 3
    files to it, taking it to your machine, and booting from it. Then copy
    the working boot.ini to the hard drive. The 3 files are:
    boot.ini
    ntldr
    ntdetect.com

    - within boot.ini, "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)" mean the first of each type
    of disk support hardware; "partition(1)" means the first partition on
    the drive being pointed to. All 4 values are the most typical (for the
    active partition on the primary master hard drive.)

    - often when a boot reports ntoskrnl is missing it's because boot.ini is
    pointing to the wrong rdisk or partition. Or the system isn't completely
    installed. You may want to experiment with those boot.ini values, which
    are explained in many places on the net.

    Steve Wilson wrote:
> [...]

    even
    >> run the recovery console form the installation cd.
    >>
    >> Any help/suggestions would be rgeatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >.
    >Dan- excellent information and I wll give it a try.
    Thank you so much for you help.

    Steve.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Good luck...come back in this thread with results :-)

    Steve Wilson wrote:

> [...]
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    >>> ntldr
    >>> ntdetect.com
    >>>
    >>>- within boot.ini, "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)" mean the
    >>
    >> first of each type
    >>
    >>>of disk support hardware; "partition(1)" means the
    first

    >> partition on
    >>
    >>>the drive being pointed to. All 4 values are the most
    >>
    >> typical (for the
    >>
    >>>active partition on the primary master hard drive.)
    >>>
    >>>- often when a boot reports ntoskrnl is missing it's
    >>
    >> because boot.ini is
    >>
    >>>pointing to the wrong rdisk or partition. Or the system
    >>
    >> isn't completely
    >>
    >>>installed. You may want to experiment with those
    boot.ini

    >> values, which
    >>
    >>>are explained in many places on the net.

    files from another W2K Pro machine but when I put the
    floppy into the disabled machine, it can't see the files.
    I know they are hidden but I can't seem to 'unhide' them
    in dos to copy them. I've tried the ATTRIB command but
    I'm getting an error around "Incorrect DOS version".

DOS Boot Microsoft Windows