Sign in with
Your question

K8N Neo2 MS-7025+Vid Card Woes

Tags:
  • MSI-Microstar
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2007 1:21:05 AM

First of all I apologize if this is not in the right spot, but here's my system specs:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Model MS-7025
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+
RAM: 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston ValumeRAM, 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston HyperX
Video Card: BFG 7600GS 512MB AGP
PSU: Antec TruePower 550W

Yes, I know some/most of this is ancient, no need to rag on me, I'm a poor college student.

Anyways, I recent bought the BFG 7600GS 512MB and have been having some problems with it. First of all, when I first got the card, I uninstalled my old drivers, used Driver Cleaner, took out my old card (GeForce FX5900 Ultra) and put in the 7600GS. I first tried using brand new drivers from nVidia's website. I started up WoW and after 3-5 minutes of game play my screen froze. I was unable to move my mouse for about 10 seconds... then my mouse could move for about 5 seconds then it would refreeze. It would go through that cycle 2-3 times and then my system would restart and I wouldn't get any error messages upon the bootup. I tried Vanguard and got the same thing.

I started tinkering with the card, disabled fast-write in BIOS, changed the agerapture(sp?) size, tried pulling my CPU down from it's overclocked state to stock, checked the heat on everything, it was all fine. It wasn't overheating, and was perfectly cool. I then uninstalled the video card and tried the drivers that came with the CD and those did the same thing. I decided I would just RMA the product and get a new one.

I got the new product yesterday and it started doing the same thing so I figured it may be my system. I reformatted my computer, got everything reinstalled, Windows XP up, video card and sound drivers and all that jazz goin'. Viola, it ran my games fine! I got good frame rates, it wasn't overheating, so needless to say I was happy.

I then decided to get everything in my system going. I finally narrowed down the culprit of the problem to my nForce system drivers. If I install those drivers I get the freezing during games. However, the problem now is that I cannot play any video files unless those system drivers are in.

It's rather annoying. If I start playing a video file my computer will slow to a complete crawl, and nothing shows up, I have to close the program (sometimes it will restart the system) and can't watch it.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem? I've gotten to the end of my rope here and I'm going to go nuts soon.

More about : k8n neo2 7025 vid card woes

March 4, 2007 2:16:04 AM

Turn off AGP Fastwrites in the BIOS. I have one of those boards, and I had the same issues.
March 4, 2007 2:21:19 AM

I have already done that. :?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 4, 2007 3:01:17 AM

I have almost exactly the same configuration as you MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, 4000+, etc and I've never had any kind of problems...

First thing I'll advice you is to always use MSI live update for your drivers, this is just a reminder...

Mixing RAM even when they are the same brand but not the exactly same model its something i don't recommend, you can try removing half of the modules and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't help maybe clearing your CMOS and loading fail safe settings in the BIOS might be a good idea, that way you make sure you didn't let behind or mistakenly turned on any conflicting options from your overclocking (although i doubt it)

If that doesn't works maybe flashing your board BIOS to the most up to date version might help...

Lastly although i love my board and processor by the of this year you should seriously think on changing to new technology. We are already far behind (PCI-Express, DUAL, QUAD, etc cores, DDR2 memory)

BTW something i recommend too its to always turn off the Integrated Peripherals you don't use on the BIOS..

Hope it helps
March 4, 2007 3:24:07 AM

BIOS is already up to date, I used live update on the system drivers, like I said.

I changed the AGP to 4x and its ok now although I friggin hate running lower than I should/can be
March 4, 2007 4:39:29 AM

Quote:
I got the new product yesterday and it started doing the same thing so I figured it may be my system. I reformatted my computer, got everything reinstalled, Windows XP up, video card and sound drivers and all that jazz goin'. Viola, it ran my games fine! I got good frame rates, it wasn't overheating, so needless to say I was happy.

I wonder on what order you install the softwares because you said the everything is working fine 'till you decided to get everything in your system going. You should know that the games should be installed after everything is updated. It's safer that way.

However try to reinstall those driver and Download CCleaner and Run Issues, then fix whatever it scan and run it again 'till no more findings. Next goto MSCONFIG and turn everything off from startup. then Restart computer.

If things work and you can't play movies then try Downloading Windows Media Player 11 will help with new drivers, K-Lite Codec Pack Install and try playing moveis.

Keep on using CCleaner until no more issue show up.
Try installing the old video driver that works with the old card as well, you'll never know.
March 4, 2007 5:01:35 AM

Quote:
I wonder on what order you install the softwares because you said the everything is working fine 'till you decided to get everything in your system going. You should know that the games should be installed after everything is updated. It's safer that way.

Windows was completely up-to-date, video card drivers and sound drivers were as well. The only thing I didn't have installed was my nForce 3 system drivers. I do know that games should be run after everything is updated but I was trouble shooting and everything was up and going. Not a complete noob here.
!