copying a hard drive

donald

I have a server with 3 8.5 GB SCSI drives. C: is a 4GB
partition and is the system partition, the rest of that
drive is D:, which is spanned across the remaining
drives. C: contains active directory and acts as our
print server (clearly not enough room, I know).

I want to move C: to a new 36.5 GB SCSI drive. If I
install the new SCSI drive and copy C: to it, what are my
next steps to get it to boot to it?

I am thinking the following:
1. Install the new drive
2. Copy the files to it
3. Reassign the old C: drive a new letter
4. Reassign the new drive as the C: drive
5. Insert the 2000 Server disk and repair the MBR

Should this do the trick? Will I need to edit the SCSI
BIOS or terminate the SCSI drives differently or put the
new Drive in the 1st position in the SCSI chain?

Thanks in advance.

donald

Your method might, with some modifications, have worked with NT4, but does
not work with Win2000. This MS Knowledge Base article describes a possible
solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)