Closed

How to increase the size of the System Partition?

I would like to know if there is a way of increasing the
size of the parition that is both, the boot and system
partition. Eg. from 15GB to 30 GB.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Rocio
7 answers Last reply
More about increase size system partition

    rocio

    You might be able to extend the system/boot partition if it still is on a
    basic disk.

    You will need free contiguous space after C: in order to extend it. In
    other words, you would need to delete the partition after C:, if you have
    any.

    Use diskpart.exe from "safe mode with command prompt" to extend
    the partition.

    This is normally not recommended on the system partition, but usually works
    anyway. Also see this MS Knowledge Base article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

    Another option is to perform an upgrade installation, as this article
    describes:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289876

    Volume Manager from Powerquest, or other third party utilities, might also
    be an option.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "rocio" <rocio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I would like to know if there is a way of increasing the
    >size of the parition that is both, the boot and system
    >partition. Eg. from 15GB to 30 GB.
    >Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    >Rocio

    Bjorn, thank you for your good responses! The first one
    might just work as I have contiguos space after c to
    intent the merging. I will definetelly try them!

    I have also read the other options and the one with the
    update might not be possible, as I installed on the OS
    the service pack4 and the disk I have for installation
    has up to the service pack 3, so it won't allow an
    update. It has to be a clean install.

    However, I have downloaded the tool recommended in the
    site you suggested and that might be another option if
    the first one fails.

    Thanks for your help again! :)

    Rocio

    Bjorn, just an upadate on your recommendations...

    I was able to increase the size of my paritition
    containing the OS without a trouble. Thank You! :)

    The article on 'Diskpart.exe' was very helpful
    to 'newbites' like myself, with the 'small' exception of
    the square brakets used aroun the text that needed to be
    typed in the line commands.

    When I first typed in the line command the text as it was
    in the document (with the inclusion of the square brackets)
    it didn't work. Then I tought I would experiment typing te
    command without the square brackets and... it worked!

    I wish those instructional symbols were explained in some
    kind of a legend in the article, to make easier the
    following of instructions and the results for no-
    programers users like myself... Oh, well, at the end
    worked!

    Thanks again!

    rocio

    Good point about the brackets. You can comment on the article by clicking
    on the link in the upper right: Provide us with feedback on this article

    Glad that it worked for you.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "rocio" <rocio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Bjorn, just an upadate on your recommendations...
    >
    >I was able to increase the size of my paritition
    >containing the OS without a trouble. Thank You! :)
    >
    >The article on 'Diskpart.exe' was very helpful
    >to 'newbites' like myself, with the 'small' exception of
    >the square brakets used aroun the text that needed to be
    >typed in the line commands.
    >
    >When I first typed in the line command the text as it was
    >in the document (with the inclusion of the square brackets)
    >it didn't work. Then I tought I would experiment typing te
    >command without the square brackets and... it worked!
    >
    >I wish those instructional symbols were explained in some
    >kind of a legend in the article, to make easier the
    >following of instructions and the results for no-
    >programers users like myself... Oh, well, at the end
    >worked!
    >
    >Thanks again!

  5. To expand/extend system boot partition and increase its free space in Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 is very difficult to do in the past time, because their built-in Disk Management did not provide the functions of extending partition or shrinking partition, this would have to use third-party tools such as Partition Magic, Disk Director, and other partition management software to accomplish the extending volume operation.

    Resources: http://www.geeksdo.com/extend-c-drive.html
  6. This topic has been closed by Grumpy9117

Microsoft Partition Windows