The Genetic Factor

Hi guys. I read frequently about the genetic factor in Pokemon, but as yet
I do not understand this concept. What exactly is it, how does it affect
them, and is it passed on through breeding? What's the inside scoop on
this?

Thanks again. :)
9 answers Last reply
More about genetic factor

    Jim Haidle <dynatok@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi guys. I read frequently about the genetic factor in Pokemon, but
    > as yet I do not understand this concept. What exactly is it, how
    > does it affect them, and is it passed on through breeding? What's
    > the inside scoop on this?

    Calling it "genetic" is a bit of a leap... a pokemon's varible stats are
    programmed code, and very limited. I think what you might be talking about
    are Egg Moves-- bred pokemon can be taught moves that their parents know,
    that their species wouldn't normally know.

    Other bits of the parent's code (like stats) are passed along as well.

    --
    -----------
    Deep Thought

    "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message
    > Jim Haidle <dynatok@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Hi guys. I read frequently about the genetic factor in Pokemon, but
    >> as yet I do not understand this concept. What exactly is it, how
    >> does it affect them, and is it passed on through breeding? What's
    >> the inside scoop on this?
    >
    > Calling it "genetic" is a bit of a leap... a pokemon's varible stats are
    > programmed code, and very limited.

    Okay, I think some places call it DV (deter value). I see it mentioned by
    both names in the various formularies on the web, but I have no real
    explainations of this factor. They often link it with the "Box Trick".

    >I think what you might be talking about
    > are Egg Moves-- bred pokemon can be taught moves that their parents know,
    > that their species wouldn't normally know.
    >
    > Other bits of the parent's code (like stats) are passed along as well.

    Okay, let's talk about that. Let's say that a Pokemon species has a max of
    300 HP, and that poke A has a max HP value of 250 and breeds with poke B
    with a max HP value of 280. What does this do to the offspring's max HP
    value?

    I think this might be getting too involved for my purposes ... I need to
    streamline this process somehow.

    "Jim Haidle" <dynatok@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I think what you might be talking about
    >> are Egg Moves-- bred pokemon can be taught moves that their parents know,
    >> that their species wouldn't normally know.
    >>
    >> Other bits of the parent's code (like stats) are passed along as well.
    >>
    > Okay, let's talk about that. Let's say that a Pokemon species has a max
    > of 300 HP, and that poke A has a max HP value of 250 and breeds with poke
    > B with a max HP value of 280. What does this do to the offspring's max HP
    > value?
    >
    > I think this might be getting too involved for my purposes ... I need to
    > streamline this process somehow.

    You haven't quite understood yet.

    Each statistic has a DV (or a "gene", to continue your metaphor), and this
    influences the value of the stat. However, the DV is NOT of the same value
    as the stat. Statistics are variable - they (usually) get higher with each
    level. The DV is constant, and there's no way of changing it.

    In RS, the DV for each stat is a number between 0 and 31. The higher the
    DV, the better the stat will be. However, this isn't the only thing that
    affects the stat - it's just a starting point.

    There is also what's now known as EV - Effort Value. Whenever you defeat an
    opponent, you will get Effort Value (or stat experience) as well as level
    experience. What you fight will determine the type of EV you receive.
    Defeat a Magikarp, and your Defense stat gets a boost. Defeat an Electrode,
    and your Speed will get a boost. Defeat a Chansey, and your HP will get a
    boost. Some creatures will give two different types of EV at the same time,
    but never more than two.

    Each stat can only be boosted by up to 255 EVs, and then the stat will be at
    its highest possible for that individual Pokémon. However, the Pokémon can
    only receive up to 510 EVs for all the stats combined. This means you can
    only ever have two max stats on any given Pokémon.

    The drugs - Calcium, Iron, and so on - are to stat experience as Rare
    Candies are to level experience. They boost the EVs of their specific stat
    (by 10, unless it's changed since GSC). You can only use ten of these drugs
    (i.e. 100 EVs) per statistic.

    Breeding is quite erratic now. I believe two stats from the parents are
    randomly selected, and those stats' DVs are passed down. This all got too
    complicated and unreliable for me, so I've not really bothered breeding for
    DVs.

    Oh, and by the way, both DVs and EVs are invisible numbers, so the only way
    to know them is to work them out. A Pokémon caught in the wild, bought from
    Game Corner or received from an in-game character, will have no EVs, so if
    you care enough, you can track the amount they receive by finding a list of
    how many and what kind of EV you receive from every opponent defeated.

    --
    Steffan Alun

    http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
    http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

    Sapphire PokéDex: 201

    "STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message

    > You haven't quite understood yet.
    >
    > Each statistic has a DV (or a "gene", to continue your metaphor), and this
    > influences the value of the stat. However, the DV is NOT of the same
    value
    > as the stat. Statistics are variable - they (usually) get higher with
    each
    > level. The DV is constant, and there's no way of changing it.
    >
    > In RS, the DV for each stat is a number between 0 and 31. The higher the
    > DV, the better the stat will be. However, this isn't the only thing that
    > affects the stat - it's just a starting point.
    >
    > There is also what's now known as EV - Effort Value. Whenever you defeat
    an
    > opponent, you will get Effort Value (or stat experience) as well as level
    > experience. What you fight will determine the type of EV you receive.
    > Defeat a Magikarp, and your Defense stat gets a boost. Defeat an
    Electrode,
    > and your Speed will get a boost. Defeat a Chansey, and your HP will get a
    > boost. Some creatures will give two different types of EV at the same
    time,
    > but never more than two.

    I have a table. Here are the mixed EVs:

    Mixed EV Table
    --------------

    # English Name Jp Name HP Atk Def Spd Sp.Atk Sp.Def

    200 Rayquaza Rekkuuza - 2 - -
    -
    186 Kingdra Kingudora - 1 - -
    1 1
    195 Registeel Rezusuchiru - - 2 - -
    1
    118 Flygon Furaigon - 1 -
    - -
    149 Dusclops Samayooru - - 1 - -
    2

    62 Delcatty Enekororo 1 - -
    1 - -
    107 Muk Betobeton 1
    - - - -
    179 Relianth Jiiransu 1 -
    - - -
    5 Combusken Wakashamo - 1 - -
    1 -
    68 Sableye Yamirami - 1
    1 - - -
    69 Mawile Kuchiito - 1
    1 - - -
    102 Camerupt Bakuuda - 1 - -
    1 -
    117 Vibrava Biburaaba - 1 -
    1 - -
    120 Cacturne Nokutasu - 1 - -
    1 -
    124 Seviper Habuneeku - 1 - -
    1 -
    166 Donphan Donfan - 1
    - - -
    177 Huntail Hanteeru - 1
    - - -
    148 Duskull Yomawaru - -
    1 - - 1
    180 Corsola Saniigo - -
    1 - - 1
    185 Seadra Shiidora - - 1 -
    1 -
    154 Ninetales Kyuukon - - -
    1 - 1
    163 Xatu Neiteio - - - 1
    1 -
    33 Masquerain Amemoosu - - - - 1
    1
    151 Chimecho Chiriin - - - -
    1 1

    # English Name Jp Name HP Atk Def Spd Sp.Atk Sp.Def

    > Each stat can only be boosted by up to 255 EVs, and then the stat will be
    at
    > its highest possible for that individual Pokémon. However, the Pokémon
    can
    > only receive up to 510 EVs for all the stats combined. This means you can
    > only ever have two max stats on any given Pokémon.

    They made the 510 EV cap to make everything more variable. In RBY (and GSC)
    every poke could have every stat up to 255 EVs.

    > Oh, and by the way, both DVs and EVs are invisible numbers, so the only
    way
    > to know them is to work them out. A Pokémon caught in the wild, bought
    from
    > Game Corner or received from an in-game character, will have no EVs, so if
    > you care enough, you can track the amount they receive by finding a list
    of
    > how many and what kind of EV you receive from every opponent defeated.

    Please let me know how the table came out, and if you want the rest of it, I
    can post it, but I got it from the web somewhere (meowth346 maybe?), so you
    can search it out just as (probably more) easily.

    daramark

    Jim Haidle wrote:

    > "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message
    > > Jim Haidle <dynatok@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >> Hi guys. I read frequently about the genetic factor in Pokemon, but
    > >> as yet I do not understand this concept. What exactly is it, how
    > >> does it affect them, and is it passed on through breeding? What's
    > >> the inside scoop on this?
    > >
    > > Calling it "genetic" is a bit of a leap... a pokemon's varible stats are
    > > programmed code, and very limited.
    >
    > Okay, I think some places call it DV (deter value). I see it mentioned by
    > both names in the various formularies on the web, but I have no real
    > explainations of this factor. They often link it with the "Box Trick".
    >
    > >I think what you might be talking about
    > > are Egg Moves-- bred pokemon can be taught moves that their parents know,
    > > that their species wouldn't normally know.
    > >
    > > Other bits of the parent's code (like stats) are passed along as well.
    > >
    > Okay, let's talk about that. Let's say that a Pokemon species has a max of
    > 300 HP, and that poke A has a max HP value of 250 and breeds with poke B
    > with a max HP value of 280. What does this do to the offspring's max HP
    > value?
    >
    > I think this might be getting too involved for my purposes ... I need to
    > streamline this process somehow.

    The way I heard it is that the tm moves from the male can go to the baby and
    the stat increass that the mom has effects the babys stats.
    over many breadings you can get a baby that has higher stats then anything that
    you can find in the game. But the game does not allow insest so you need many
    breaders to get better pokemon.
    The females being the main problum. as you max out the female on stat bosters
    like iron and you get a second generation and then later you breed this one if
    it is female after maxing it out and it will give you a 3 generation one. They
    each are a little better then the last one but wount be able to do any breading
    with anything that is in there famly tree. I don't know how lond you can do
    this.
    But useing dittos don't quite work the same as there are always the ones that
    gives the stats and they may have drasticly diffrent stats then you are after.
    But this is what i did in siliber and gold before I lost my sight.

    --
    Richard The Blind Typer
    Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

    daramark wrote:

    > They made the 510 EV cap to make everything more variable. In RBY (and GSC)
    > every poke could have every stat up to 255 EVs.

    Actually, in RBY/GSC the maximum effort/stat exp was 65,536 in each
    stat. The amount of effort you got from beating a Pokemon was equal to
    the victim's base stats (eg. a Chansey would give you 250 HP, 5 Att, 50
    Speed, etc).

    -- White Cat
    http://pokedex.kary.ca/

    "White Cat" <white_cat59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> They made the 510 EV cap to make everything more variable. In RBY (and
    >> GSC)
    >> every poke could have every stat up to 255 EVs.
    >
    > Actually, in RBY/GSC the maximum effort/stat exp was 65,536 in each stat.
    > The amount of effort you got from beating a Pokemon was equal to the
    > victim's base stats (eg. a Chansey would give you 250 HP, 5 Att, 50 Speed,
    > etc).

    So does that mean HP tended to max out on stat experience quicker than the
    others? I mean, Chansey obviously makes the gap much more clear, but pretty
    much all Pokémon have a higher HP base stat than the others, simply because
    HP is normally a higher number.

    If the maximum is the same for HP as it is for all others, will it max out
    quicker?

    --
    Steffan Alun

    http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
    http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

    Sapphire PokéDex: 201

    LeafGreen PokéDex: 35
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:

    > > Actually, in RBY/GSC the maximum effort/stat exp was 65,536 in each stat.
    > > The amount of effort you got from beating a Pokemon was equal to the
    > > victim's base stats (eg. a Chansey would give you 250 HP, 5 Att, 50 Speed,
    > > etc).
    >
    > So does that mean HP tended to max out on stat experience quicker than the
    > others? I mean, Chansey obviously makes the gap much more clear, but pretty
    > much all Pokémon have a higher HP base stat than the others, simply because
    > HP is normally a higher number.
    >
    > If the maximum is the same for HP as it is for all others, will it max out
    > quicker?

    No, because the stat exp gain is taken from the *base* stats, which are
    roughly the same for HP as for the other stats. It's the in-game stats
    (after they've been run through the stat formula) that HP becomes
    higher, due to having a different formula than the others.

    I've got charts of all the base stats on my site (links below), although
    they only list the final evolutions. HP actually averages somewhat
    lower than most other stats...

    http://pokedex.kary.ca/rbyrank.txt
    http://pokedex.kary.ca/gscrank.txt
    http://pokedex.kary.ca/rsrank.txt

    -- White Cat
    http://pokedex.kary.ca/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    >> If the maximum is the same for HP as it is for all others, will it max
    >> out quicker?
    >
    > No, because the stat exp gain is taken from the *base* stats, which are
    > roughly the same for HP as for the other stats. It's the in-game stats
    > (after they've been run through the stat formula) that HP becomes higher,
    > due to having a different formula than the others.

    Ah, right. Must've been seeing the extraneous variable that is Chansey's
    stats that confused me.

    > I've got charts of all the base stats on my site (links below), although
    > they only list the final evolutions. HP actually averages somewhat lower
    > than most other stats...

    Noted. I guess that's because fewer Pokémon are noted for their high HP
    than other stats.

    --
    Steffan Alun

    http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site