Word 2000 very slow to start up

a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 1:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to open
into a blank document.

Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run office
update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
seem to have helped.

More about : word 2000 slow start

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 1:54:03 PM

"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
> open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> seem to have helped.

Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Spyware is the leading cause of system slow down. Check Jim Eshelman's site
here for information on and tools for checking and cleaning
http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> seem to have helped.

a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 3:27:02 PM

I have an even longer time to desktop with Word XP and I constantly sweep for
spyware and adware.

"Bryan Henderson" wrote:

> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> seem to have helped.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 7:01:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
> open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> seem to have helped.

Something is badly wrong somewhere: on my system is opens more or less
immediately.

--
Derek
Anonymous

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> > and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
much
> > more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
> > open
> > into a blank document.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> > office
> > update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> > seem to have helped.
> >

> Something is badly wrong somewhere: on my system is opens more or less
> immediately.

what is your OS etc?
March 16, 2005 7:49:22 PM

Bryan Henderson wrote:
>>> I have two PCs
>>> one with _XP_ and 512 Mb RAM
>>> and an older laptop with _Win 98_ and 128 Mb RAM.

> what is your OS etc?

*BLINK*

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?
Anonymous

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win
98
> > and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
much
> > more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
> > open
> > into a blank document.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> > office
> > update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> > seem to have helped.
>
> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?

I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine and
AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 7:56:53 PM

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win
>>> 98
>>> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
>>> much
>>> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
>>> open
>>> into a blank document.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
>>> office
>>> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
>>> seem to have helped.
>>
>> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
>>

> I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine and
> AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.

Asked because some find the Anti-Spyware beta slowing up opening of Office
programs.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Bryan Henderson wrote:
> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with
>>> Win 98 and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop
>>> than on the much more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65
>>> secs on desktop PC to open
>>> into a blank document.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have
>>> run office
>>> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
>>> doesn't seem to have helped.
>>>

>> Something is badly wrong somewhere: on my system is opens more or
>> less immediately.
>>

> what is your OS etc?

Win XP Home SP2. Athlon 64 3400+. 1Gb DDR400. WD800JB. Word 2000 (9.0.3821
SR-1).

--
Derek
Anonymous

> Bryan Henderson wrote:
>> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Something is badly wrong somewhere: on my system is opens more or
>>> less immediately.
>>>

>> what is your OS etc?
>
> Win XP Home SP2. Athlon 64 3400+. 1Gb DDR400. WD800JB. Word 2000 (9.0.3821
> SR-1).

Now Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3). My quoting of the version number above, made
me think about checking for updates. No change in launch time.

--
Derek
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win
> 98
>> > and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
> much
>> > more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
>> > open
>> > into a blank document.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
>> > office
>> > update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
>> > doesn't
>> > seem to have helped.
>>
>> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
>>

> I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine and
> AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.

NAV has some kind of setting for office apps. If you open a lot of file that
you get from other people, you might want to leave that on, but if it's
mostly your own documents, you can probably turn that off and see if it
makes a difference.
March 17, 2005 9:29:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

As I recall, a while ago there was a major problem with Word and Nortons...
You might want to check on the symantic site.

--
sharkman.

Bryan Henderson wrote:
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with
>> > Win 98 and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop
>> > than on the much more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65
>> > secs on desktop PC to open
>> > into a blank document.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have
>> > run office
>> > update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
>> > doesn't seem to have helped.
>>
>> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
>>

> I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine
> and AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and
> AdAware.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 2:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win
> 98
>> > and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
> much
>> > more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
>> > open
>> > into a blank document.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
>> > office
>> > update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
>> > doesn't
>> > seem to have helped.
>>
>> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
>>

> I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine and
> AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.

What does it say on the Options>Miscellaneous page of Norton for Enable
Office Plug-in?

--
Derek
Anonymous

> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
Win
> > 98
> > much

> >> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
> >>

> > I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine
and
> > AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.
> >

> What does it say on the Options>Miscellaneous page of Norton for Enable
> Office Plug-in?

mine is enabled.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 9:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
Win
> > 98
> > much

> >> Do you have Microsoft Anti-Spyware installed on the WinXP machine?
> >>

> > I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine
and
> > AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.
> >

> What does it say on the Options>Miscellaneous page of Norton for Enable
> Office Plug-in?

I just disabled the office plug in and Word now opens right away so thanks
all for the help :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 9:11:46 PM

> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Win
>> > 98
>> > much

>> > I haven't heard of that one but I do have Norton AV on the XP machine
> and
>> > AVG on the laptop. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware.
>> >

>> What does it say on the Options>Miscellaneous page of Norton for Enable
>> Office Plug-in?
>>

> I just disabled the office plug in and Word now opens right away so thanks
> all for the help :-)

Cool

--
Derek
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It's Just word 2000's chracteristics. Does the same thing to Me.
"Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
> seem to have helped.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 1:43:57 AM

Bryan Henderson wrote:
> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with
Win 98
> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
much
> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC
to open
> into a blank document.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
office
> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
doesn't
> seem to have helped.

You must have confused the two computers. Go to see a doctor!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 12:22:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Your shepherd Aquila Deus (d2005xx)" <aquila.deus@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:1111387437.438055.281820@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Bryan Henderson wrote:
>> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with
> Win 98
>> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the
> much
>> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC
> to open
>> into a blank document.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> office
>> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it
> doesn't
>> seem to have helped.
>
> You must have confused the two computers. Go to see a doctor!

Or not:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.windows-xp/m...

--
Derek
Anonymous

Gene Abner piddled around and finally wrote:

> "Bryan Henderson" <bhendersonNOSPAM@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have two PCs one with XP and 512 Mb RAM and an older laptop with Win 98
>> and 128 Mb RAM. Word 2000 opens much faster on the laptop than on the much
>> more powerful desktop PC. 15 secs on laptop v 65 secs on desktop PC to
> open
>> into a blank document.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest reasons why there is such a difference? I have run
> office
>> update on the desktop hoping that would solve the problem but it doesn't
>> seem to have helped.
>
> It's Just word 2000's chracteristics. Does the same thing to Me.

You call simple-celled organisms genius don't you?
!