Disinfect the adware

March 16, 2005 11:18:11 PM

I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found but
an adware found :

Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll

Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
How can I disinfect it?
TIA

More about : disinfect adware

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:18:12 PM

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45...

"Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
>I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found but
> an adware found :
>
> Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
>
> Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
> How can I disinfect it?
> TIA

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:14:32 AM

Thanks for your response.
Went to the link. Couldn't make out anything. What do I have to look for
there?

"plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45...
>
> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found
but
> > an adware found :
> >
> > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
> >
> > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
> > How can I disinfect it?
> > TIA

March 17, 2005 3:21:56 AM

Ben,

From the page that plb posted, please access it and locate the Manual
Removal under Detection and Removal. Please follow the instructions there to
do a manual removal of those pests.

Hope this helps. :)

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!

> Thanks for your response.
> Went to the link. Couldn't make out anything. What do I have to look for
> there?
>
> "plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
>> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45...
>>
>> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
>> >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found
> but
>> > an adware found :
>> >
>> > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
>> >
>> > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
>> > How can I disinfect it?
>> > TIA

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:31:05 AM

Sorry for the delay. Had to go offshore for a bit.
Under:
" Detection and Removal
Manual Removal
Remove these registry entries if present:"
I don't have any of those.

Under:
" Remove these files if present:"
Went to "Search" function but it says systemroot+\system32 is not a valid
folder. I think I haven't got something right there. Whats with the + sign?
Its supposed to mean something else I think.
Thanks

"Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
> Ben,
>
> From the page that plb posted, please access it and locate the Manual
> Removal under Detection and Removal. Please follow the instructions there
> do a manual removal of those pests.
>
> Hope this helps. :)
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
> http://www.blizhosting.com
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response.
> > Went to the link. Couldn't make out anything. What do I have to look for
> > there?
> >
> > "plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45...
> >>
> >> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> > but

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:32:13 AM

Sorry for the delay. Had to go offshore for a bit.
Under:
" Detection and Removal
Manual Removal
Remove these registry entries if present:"
I don't have any of those.

Under:
" Remove these files if present:"
Went to "Search" function but it says systemroot+\system32 is not a valid
folder. I think I haven't got something right there. Whats with the + sign?
Its supposed to mean something else I think.
Thanks

"plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45...
>
> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found
but
> > an adware found :
> >
> > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
> >
> > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
> > How can I disinfect it?
> > TIA

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:32:14 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:32:13 +0800, Ben Stevenson wrote:

> Under:
> " Remove these files if present:"
> Went to "Search" function but it says systemroot+\system32 is not a valid
> folder. I think I haven't got something right there. Whats with the + sign?
> Its supposed to mean something else I think.

Replace systemroot+ with the path to your Windows folder. Example:
C:\Windows\system32\

Took a glance at the directions you've been referred and it contains more
of CA's shorthand. These two are a little more obvious than systemroot+:
"programfilesdir+" usually translates to C:\Program Files\... and
"favorites+" is typically C:\Documents and Settings\<your
account>\Favorites.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User