Disinfect the adware

I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found but
an adware found :

Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll

Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
How can I disinfect it?
TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about disinfect adware

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074559

    "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
    >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found but
    > an adware found :
    >
    > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
    >
    > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
    > How can I disinfect it?
    > TIA

    Thanks for your response.
    Went to the link. Couldn't make out anything. What do I have to look for
    there?

    "plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074559
    >
    > "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
    > >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found
    but
    > > an adware found :
    > >
    > > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
    > >
    > > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
    > > How can I disinfect it?
    > > TIA

    Ben,

    From the page that plb posted, please access it and locate the Manual
    Removal under Detection and Removal. Please follow the instructions there to
    do a manual removal of those pests.

    Hope this helps. :)

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    > Thanks for your response.
    > Went to the link. Couldn't make out anything. What do I have to look for
    > there?
    >
    > "plb2862" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074559
    >>
    >> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
    >> >I went to Panda ActiveScan to scan for virus and adware. No virus found
    > but
    >> > an adware found :
    >> >
    >> > Adware: Adware/PowerScan at location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Intrigue.dll
    >> >
    >> > Ran Ad-aware and Spybot that I have, but it was not detected.
    >> > How can I disinfect it?
    >> > TIA

    Sorry for the delay. Had to go offshore for a bit.
    Under:
    " Detection and Removal
    Manual Removal
    Remove these registry entries if present:"
    I don't have any of those.

    Under:
    " Remove these files if present:"
    Went to "Search" function but it says systemroot+\system32 is not a valid
    folder. I think I haven't got something right there. Whats with the + sign?
    Its supposed to mean something else I think.
    Thanks

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:32:13 +0800, Ben Stevenson wrote:

    > Under:
    > " Remove these files if present:"
    > Went to "Search" function but it says systemroot+\system32 is not a valid
    > folder. I think I haven't got something right there. Whats with the + sign?
    > Its supposed to mean something else I think.

    Replace systemroot+ with the path to your Windows folder. Example:
    C:\Windows\system32\

    Took a glance at the directions you've been referred and it contains more
    of CA's shorthand. These two are a little more obvious than systemroot+:
    "programfilesdir+" usually translates to C:\Program Files\... and
    "favorites+" is typically C:\Documents and Settings\<your
    account>\Favorites.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User