Signature(xxxxxx) in Boot.ini

David

Dear All,

Does anyone know about the "signature(xxxxxx)" of boot.ini stand for?

It is used after I do a "clean instal" of windows 2000 pro in a 16GB
partition.

After imageing a disk w/"signature(xxxxxx)" instaead of "disk(x)/scsi(x)" in
boot.ini and clone to anothe machine, the cloned machine can not start windows

Error message about "Windows can not found the disk drive to load Windows"

Is the "signature(xxxxxx)" refer to some unique id or MBR ?

Please reply if you know that, thx.

Regards,
David

My soloution: replace "signature(xxxxxx)" to "scsi(x)disk(x)"...

This may help.

;227704]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];227704

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"David" wrote:

| Dear All,
|
| Does anyone know about the "signature(xxxxxx)" of boot.ini stand for?
|
| It is used after I do a "clean instal" of windows 2000 pro in a 16GB
| partition.
|
| After imageing a disk w/"signature(xxxxxx)" instaead of "disk(x)/scsi(x)"
in
| boot.ini and clone to anothe machine, the cloned machine can not start
windows

| Error message about "Windows can not found the disk drive to load Windows"
|
| Is the "signature(xxxxxx)" refer to some unique id or MBR ?
|
| Please reply if you know that, thx.
|
| Regards,
| David
|
| My soloution: replace "signature(xxxxxx)" to "scsi(x)disk(x)"...

David

Thanks Dave,

I found what I need in the page you provided, thanks.

Another query: Imaging will not copy the MBR also?

;227704]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];227704
=========
Using the signature() syntax instructs Ntldr to locate the drive whose disk
signature matches the value in the parentheses, no matter which SCSI
controller number the drive is connected to.

The signature() value is extracted from the physical disk's Master Boot
Record (MBR). This unique hexadecimal number is either written to the MBR
during the Text-mode portion of Setup, or is written by an installation of
Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 or earlier.
=========

Regards,
David

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> This may help.
>
> ;227704]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];227704
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

I think it may depend on if you're imaging the disk or partition and
possibly as an option in your imaging software.

--

> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone know about the "signature(xxxxxx)" of boot.ini stand for?
>
> It is used after I do a "clean instal" of windows 2000 pro in a 16GB
> partition.
>
> After imageing a disk w/"signature(xxxxxx)" instaead of "disk(x)/scsi(x)"
in
> boot.ini and clone to anothe machine, the cloned machine can not start
windows

> Error message about "Windows can not found the disk drive to load Windows"
>
> Is the "signature(xxxxxx)" refer to some unique id or MBR ?
>
> Please reply if you know that, thx.
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> My soloution: replace "signature(xxxxxx)" to "scsi(x)disk(x)"...

Please paste the contents of c:\boot.ini into your post.

David

Thanks Pegasus,

After clean install (may have different as the file at workplace):
default=signature(8b467c12)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt

To boot in another machine successfully:
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt

David