Weird E6600 Temperatures

Dakalador

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
I'm getting weird, and based off what I read, impossible temperatures.
This is all while idling, as I'm concerned about my CPU temperature.

TAT: core 0 47C and core 1 47C

SpeedFan: System 36C
CPU 52C
AUX 127C
Core 1 43C
Core 2 43C

Any ideas on what the problem could possibly be?

Dakalador

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Really? Because I thought the CPU temperature from SpeedFan was the Tcase in the Core 2 Duo temperature guide (Then Tcase would be far from 15C lower than the Tjunctions). Otherwise, what program is used to get the Tcase? (I've tried using CoreTemp, but I keep getting errors.)

I'm using the stock cooler. (No overclocking or anything)

Edit: Checked some other things too. The temperature my bios gave me was at about 46C just from booting up. Under 100% load from TAT (on one core), that core goes up to the 70sC in seconds.

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I too am experiencing some difficulties with my E6600. Speedfan shows Temps of CPU 29, Core 0 28, Core 1 28 (+/- 1, at Idle). This makes me suspicous, as the Temperature Guide sticky suggests that the Core readings should be around 15 higher than the case readings.

However, Coretemp is reading the same for Core 0 and Core 1, but a steady 85 for TJunction.

This does of course make me nervous...

Also, while running with FSB 400Mhz and Multiplier 6, CPU-Z reports 2.4GHz clock (as desired), but a number of other applications report 3.6GHz (one of them quoted 6 x 600 here, I can't find ANY reference to a '600' in my BIOS...).

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Speedfan shows Temps of CPU 29, Core 0 28, Core 1 28 (+/- 1, at Idle). This makes me suspicous, as the Temperature Guide sticky suggests that the Core readings should be around 15 higher than the case readings.

However, Coretemp is reading the same for Core 0 and Core 1, but a steady 85 for TJunction.

This does of course make me nervous...

Also, while running with FSB 400Mhz and Multiplier 6, CPU-Z reports 2.4GHz clock (as desired), but a number of other applications report 3.6GHz (one of them quoted 6 x 600 here, I can't find ANY reference to a '600' in my BIOS...)

I realize there's alot of information to take in, (new update this morning), so a re-read would help. From the Guide:

Interpretation

..."Core Temp" compensates ~ 2c higher, and shows Intel's Thermal Junction Maximum spec (Tj max) of 85c as the shutdown limit...

Troubleshooting

(H) Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c. This field is Intel's Tj max spec, is info only, and does not change.

Core Temp is obviously offset by -15c, which is reflected in SpeedFan 4.32.

Variables

...Tjunction temps can be erroneous due to calibration inaccuracies in chipsets, BIOS releases, driver versions, and motherboard utilities. Intel’s spec for thermal sensor accuracy is +/-1c, so temperatures can be quite accurate on hardware / firmware platforms free of manufacturer's deficiencies. Even false temperatures have offsets which can be analyzed, and when given correction factors, may still be reasonably accurate.

Troubleshooting

(C) SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets.

(D) Any hardware and / or software may misreport Tcase and / or Tjunction temps.

Offsets

If temperatures don’t meet the Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets. From the “Readings” tab, click on the “Configure” button, then click on the “Advanced” tab. Next, click on the “Chip” field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan’s “Help and HOW-TO” icon included in the installation Program Group. Under “Contents” click on “How to configure” then click on “How to set Advanced Options”. Read this entire section including “Other interesting options” and “Temperature x offset. When configured, SpeedFan will provide a means to display all 3 Tcase and Tjunction temperatures correctly. SpeedFan is also extremely useful for observing temperatures and voltages using the “Charts” tab, while thermal benchmarking with TAT.

As for your your misreported 400 Mhz FSB frequency, it's very unusual to run an OC'd FSB using a 6 multiplier on a 6600, which is compromising the programs reading the chipset. If you increase your CPU clock from 2.4 to 2.8 using the 7 multiplier, these anomalies may be resolved, without requiring any increase in Vcore. If your 6600 is "clean" silicon. then you may even be able to run 3.2 Ghz (8 x 400) without increasing Vcore.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)