win2k install hangs after first reboot

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 20, 2004 8:15:02 AM

I couldn't find a thread with this problem so apologies if
I'm going over old ground.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a series of powercuts at home
and my PSU eventually gave up. I borrowed a spare one
from my neighbour, but I think it must have been faulty
cos my hard drive made occasional clunking noises as
though it was struggling to keep up the RPMs. Then my PC
wouldn't boot - got the 'missing ntoskrnl' message.

So, I tried the repair option but I couldn't get it to
work and because I had previous installs of Win2k on
there, I wasn't even sure the repair was trying to fix the
right one. By this time, I'd decided that either the PSU
or the hard-drive needed replacing, so I bought new ones.

I installed them and tried the win2k install. Everything
went fine, if a little slowly, until the point after the
install files have been copied to the harddrive and the
computer reboots.

When it restarts, it appears to attempt to start Win2k as
normal - it's a long time since I've installed it fully,
but I wasn't expecting it to startup at this point.
Anyhow, it gets as far as the white screen with the
windows logo, the scrolling blue bar and the progress
bar. However, the progress bar doesn't start although the
blue bar continues to scroll across constantly. I've left
the pc in this state for some time (several hrs) to see if
anything happens, but nothing does. I've tried safe mode
which brings up the 'starting windows setup' screen but
hangs there as well.

I've tried disconnecting all my other hard drives, USB
devices and removed all PCI cards so all that's connected
is my keyboard, mouse and graphics card.

I should point out that I've never had any problems
installing Win2k on this machine before and it used to run
perfectly, constantly switched on for weeks on end without
any problems.

Can anybody make suggestions as it's driving me mad and I
want to play my driving games!! :(

Thanks

MikieC
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:55:31 AM

Try starting a new install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows
2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be
created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on
the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit)
and follow the prompts.

Also you didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA,
or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows
2000 setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup
is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller
detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be
prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your
drive's controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mikiec" wrote:
|I couldn't find a thread with this problem so apologies if
| I'm going over old ground.
|
| A couple of weeks ago, I had a series of powercuts at home
| and my PSU eventually gave up. I borrowed a spare one
| from my neighbour, but I think it must have been faulty
| cos my hard drive made occasional clunking noises as
| though it was struggling to keep up the RPMs. Then my PC
| wouldn't boot - got the 'missing ntoskrnl' message.
|
| So, I tried the repair option but I couldn't get it to
| work and because I had previous installs of Win2k on
| there, I wasn't even sure the repair was trying to fix the
| right one. By this time, I'd decided that either the PSU
| or the hard-drive needed replacing, so I bought new ones.
|
| I installed them and tried the win2k install. Everything
| went fine, if a little slowly, until the point after the
| install files have been copied to the harddrive and the
| computer reboots.
|
| When it restarts, it appears to attempt to start Win2k as
| normal - it's a long time since I've installed it fully,
| but I wasn't expecting it to startup at this point.
| Anyhow, it gets as far as the white screen with the
| windows logo, the scrolling blue bar and the progress
| bar. However, the progress bar doesn't start although the
| blue bar continues to scroll across constantly. I've left
| the pc in this state for some time (several hrs) to see if
| anything happens, but nothing does. I've tried safe mode
| which brings up the 'starting windows setup' screen but
| hangs there as well.
|
| I've tried disconnecting all my other hard drives, USB
| devices and removed all PCI cards so all that's connected
| is my keyboard, mouse and graphics card.
|
| I should point out that I've never had any problems
| installing Win2k on this machine before and it used to run
| perfectly, constantly switched on for weeks on end without
| any problems.
|
| Can anybody make suggestions as it's driving me mad and I
| want to play my driving games!! :(
|
| Thanks
|
| MikieC
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:25:16 PM

This is how I've been trying to install it.

> The set of four install disks can be
>created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on
>the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit)
>and follow the prompts.
I've created the disks (had to do it at work as I no
longer have a functioning PC at home) and I'll try them
tonight. I've got two Win 2k install CDs, one which boots
and one which doesn't so I'll try the latter just in case
that's causing the problem.

>When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and
or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the
install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
I'll try this. I'm using a brand new drive so I can
reformat/repartition the drive as much as I like.

>Also you didn't mention the drive controller (possibly
SCSI, or ultra DMA,
>or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to
boot the Windows
>2000 setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very
important (at setup
>is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive
controller
>detection, and select S to specify additional drivers.
Then later you'll be
>prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000
driver for your
>drive's controller in drive "A"
Pretty certain it's UDMA, although I'll have to check. It
didn't come with a disk as it's an OEM part.

>If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers,
then it may be too
>late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already
assigned the
>resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Thanks Patrick. I'll try these and make sure I'm using
the correct cables and BIOS settings for the drive.

After a more thorough web search, it appears that a lot of
people have this kind of problem when the motherboard is
faulty, which is possible given the problems that the PSU
caused, so I might need to invest in a new one if all else
fails.

Mike

>"Mikiec" wrote:
>|I couldn't find a thread with this problem so apologies
if
>| I'm going over old ground.
>|
>| A couple of weeks ago, I had a series of powercuts at
home
>| and my PSU eventually gave up. I borrowed a spare one
>| from my neighbour, but I think it must have been faulty
>| cos my hard drive made occasional clunking noises as
>| though it was struggling to keep up the RPMs. Then my PC
>| wouldn't boot - got the 'missing ntoskrnl' message.
>|
>| So, I tried the repair option but I couldn't get it to
>| work and because I had previous installs of Win2k on
>| there, I wasn't even sure the repair was trying to fix
the
>| right one. By this time, I'd decided that either the
PSU
>| or the hard-drive needed replacing, so I bought new
ones.

>| I installed them and tried the win2k install.
Everything
>| went fine, if a little slowly, until the point after the
>| install files have been copied to the harddrive and the
>| computer reboots.
>|
>| When it restarts, it appears to attempt to start Win2k
as
>| normal - it's a long time since I've installed it fully,
>| but I wasn't expecting it to startup at this point.
>| Anyhow, it gets as far as the white screen with the
>| windows logo, the scrolling blue bar and the progress
>| bar. However, the progress bar doesn't start although
the
>| blue bar continues to scroll across constantly. I've
left
>| the pc in this state for some time (several hrs) to see
if
>| anything happens, but nothing does. I've tried safe
mode
>| which brings up the 'starting windows setup' screen but
>| hangs there as well.
>|
>| I've tried disconnecting all my other hard drives, USB
>| devices and removed all PCI cards so all that's
connected
>| is my keyboard, mouse and graphics card.
>|
>| I should point out that I've never had any problems
>| installing Win2k on this machine before and it used to
run
>| perfectly, constantly switched on for weeks on end
without
>| any problems.
>|
>| Can anybody make suggestions as it's driving me mad and
>| want to play my driving games!! :(
>|
>| Thanks
>|
>| MikieC
>

>.

September 23, 2004 12:21:08 PM

OK, it turns out it was the motherboard, so I ended up
shelling out for a new one, plus a hard drive, a CD-ROM
(cos the other one eventually died after trying to install
dozens of times) and new memory (cos I was using SDRAM and
I couldn't buy a compatible mainboard).

It's all hunky-dory now, though!!

Thanks Dave for your ideas.

Mike