how to make second domain controller the only controller i..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 20, 2004 1:20:37 PM

windows 2000 mix mode domain. two DCs.

my problem is the first domain controller is totally dead. no way to
transfer roles and depromo it.

now the second controller is still able to authenticate users and run
exchange server. i have wins and dns all installed on this BDC.

what i want is to make the BDC the PDC and change to native mode domain.

what steps should I take to make this happen? can i just transfer roles on
the BDC and ignore the fact that the PDC is dead?

any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Simon
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 2:04:48 PM

If the original DC is offline you will want to seize the FSMO roles.
See:
Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain Controller

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

Flexible Single Master Operation Transfer and Seizure Process

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223787

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Simon Xia" <simonxia@xtsystem.com> wrote in message
> windows 2000 mix mode domain. two DCs.
>
> my problem is the first domain controller is totally dead. no way to
> transfer roles and depromo it.
>
> now the second controller is still able to authenticate users and run
> exchange server. i have wins and dns all installed on this BDC.
>
> what i want is to make the BDC the PDC and change to native mode domain.
>
> what steps should I take to make this happen? can i just transfer roles on
> the BDC and ignore the fact that the PDC is dead?
>
> any advise will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Simon

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 8:34:59 PM