how to make second domain controller the only controller i..

windows 2000 mix mode domain. two DCs.

my problem is the first domain controller is totally dead. no way to
transfer roles and depromo it.

now the second controller is still able to authenticate users and run
exchange server. i have wins and dns all installed on this BDC.

what i want is to make the BDC the PDC and change to native mode domain.

what steps should I take to make this happen? can i just transfer roles on
the BDC and ignore the fact that the PDC is dead?

any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Simon
2 answers Last reply
More about make domain controller controller

    If the original DC is offline you will want to seize the FSMO roles.
    See:
    Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

    Flexible Single Master Operation Transfer and Seizure Process

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223787

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Simon Xia" <simonxia@xtsystem.com> wrote in message
    > windows 2000 mix mode domain. two DCs.
    >
    > my problem is the first domain controller is totally dead. no way to
    > transfer roles and depromo it.
    >
    > now the second controller is still able to authenticate users and run
    > exchange server. i have wins and dns all installed on this BDC.
    >
    > what i want is to make the BDC the PDC and change to native mode domain.
    >
    > what steps should I take to make this happen? can i just transfer roles on
    > the BDC and ignore the fact that the PDC is dead?
    >
    > any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Simon

    thanks. it worked.

    Simon

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    > If the original DC is offline you will want to seize the FSMO roles.
    > See:
    > Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain Controller
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
    >
    > Flexible Single Master Operation Transfer and Seizure Process
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223787
    >

    > hth
    >
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >

    > "Simon Xia" <simonxia@xtsystem.com> wrote in message
    >> windows 2000 mix mode domain. two DCs.
    >>
    >> my problem is the first domain controller is totally dead. no way to
    >> transfer roles and depromo it.
    >>
    >> now the second controller is still able to authenticate users and run
    >> exchange server. i have wins and dns all installed on this BDC.
    >>
    >> what i want is to make the BDC the PDC and change to native mode domain.
    >>
    >> what steps should I take to make this happen? can i just transfer roles
    >> on
    >> the BDC and ignore the fact that the PDC is dead?
    >>
    >> any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Simon

Domain Controller Domain Controller Windows