When can you start trading between R/S/FR/LG?

If you start a new game in R/S/FR/LG, when can you start trading between
another cart (assuming you are done with the second cart)? I've heard
you can start trading when you get the pokedex, but I thought you had to
wait a while until the trading center was operating. If that's the case,
when is this?

Also, if you start a new game, when can you start transferring to Box?
Can you do this right away, without getting a pokedex or having the
trading centers open? (e.g. Get all the starters, put them in Box, then
start over again?)

John Salerno <johnjsal@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you start a new game in R/S/FR/LG, when can you start trading
> between another cart (assuming you are done with the second cart)?
> I've heard you can start trading when you get the pokedex, but I
> thought you had to wait a while until the trading center was
> operating. If that's the case, when is this?

As (IIRC) in all games, you can start trading between the opposite color as
soon as you get a 'dex. In R/B/Y/FR/LG, that's after you bring Oak the
"custom pokeball" from the mart. However, trading between lesser carts takes
longer. I believe there was some such "Time Machine" restriction in GS that
would stop trading from RBY until a certain point, but there is also a
similar thing in FRLG and RS.

As with RBY, you can trade between FR and LG (or FR and FR, etc) as soon as
you get the dex, but you have to do the following to unlock Hoenn trades:

1) Beat the Elite Four.
2) Explore the Sevii islands and find the Ruby and Sapphire plates.
3) Give them to the guy running the Net machine.

I think this also unlocks Box trades.

> Also, if you start a new game, when can you start transferring to Box?
<SNIP>

I have no idea about this, but I remember something about an 100 poke limit.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

"DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message news:<fYj6d.25064$Wa7.21772@trndny06>...
> John Salerno <johnjsal@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you start a new game in R/S/FR/LG, when can you start trading
> > between another cart (assuming you are done with the second cart)?
> > I've heard you can start trading when you get the pokedex, but I
> > thought you had to wait a while until the trading center was
> > operating. If that's the case, when is this?
>
> As (IIRC) in all games, you can start trading between the opposite color as
> soon as you get a 'dex. In R/B/Y/FR/LG, that's after you bring Oak the
> "custom pokeball" from the mart. However, trading between lesser carts takes
> longer. I believe there was some such "Time Machine" restriction in GS that
> would stop trading from RBY until a certain point, but there is also a
> similar thing in FRLG and RS.

Ok, so if I were to get Ruby, I could start trading with my Sapphire
as soon as I get my pokedex? I wouldn't have to wait for the trading
center to open? Because I know when I went up to the second floor of
Pokemon Center in LG, there was a message about trading not working
yet, so how can you trade if you get that message? (I wasn't trying to
trade with any particular game, I just got the message anyway).

> As with RBY, you can trade between FR and LG (or FR and FR, etc) as soon as
> you get the dex, but you have to do the following to unlock Hoenn trades:
>
> 1) Beat the Elite Four.
> 2) Explore the Sevii islands and find the Ruby and Sapphire plates.
> 3) Give them to the guy running the Net machine.
>
> I think this also unlocks Box trades.
>
> > Also, if you start a new game, when can you start transferring to Box?
> <SNIP>
>
> I have no idea about this, but I remember something about an 100 poke limit.

I think the 100 pokemon means you have to have at least that many
before you can put them back on the cart. But it'd be nice if you can
simply transfer them from cart to Box right away.

John Salerno <johnjsal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, so if I were to get Ruby, I could start trading with my Sapphire
> as soon as I get my pokedex? I wouldn't have to wait for the trading
> center to open? Because I know when I went up to the second floor of
> Pokemon Center in LG, there was a message about trading not working
> yet, so how can you trade if you get that message? (I wasn't trying to
> trade with any particular game, I just got the message anyway).

In LG, before you shuttle Oak his package, the trading feature WILL be
closed... that stops someone from, in the first five seconds, trading all
the starters to someone else. But yes, if you wanted to trade Ruby to
Sapphire, or Ruby to Ruby, or Sapphire to Sapphire, or Leaf Green to Fire
Red, all you need to do is get to the point where you have the pokedex. The
trading center on the 2nd floor of the Pokecenter should unlock right after
that.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message
>> John Salerno <johnjsal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If you start a new game in R/S/FR/LG, when can you start trading
>> > between another cart (assuming you are done with the second cart)?
>> > I've heard you can start trading when you get the pokedex, but I
>> > thought you had to wait a while until the trading center was
>> > operating. If that's the case, when is this?
>>
>> As (IIRC) in all games, you can start trading between the opposite color
>> as
>> soon as you get a 'dex. In R/B/Y/FR/LG, that's after you bring Oak the
>> "custom pokeball" from the mart. However, trading between lesser carts
>> takes
>> longer. I believe there was some such "Time Machine" restriction in GS
>> that
>> would stop trading from RBY until a certain point, but there is also a
>> similar thing in FRLG and RS.
>
> Ok, so if I were to get Ruby, I could start trading with my Sapphire
> as soon as I get my pokedex? I wouldn't have to wait for the trading
> center to open? Because I know when I went up to the second floor of
> Pokemon Center in LG, there was a message about trading not working
> yet, so how can you trade if you get that message? (I wasn't trying to
> trade with any particular game, I just got the message anyway).
>

>> As with RBY, you can trade between FR and LG (or FR and FR, etc) as soon
>> as
>> you get the dex, but you have to do the following to unlock Hoenn trades:
>>
>> 1) Beat the Elite Four.
>> 2) Explore the Sevii islands and find the Ruby and Sapphire plates.
>> 3) Give them to the guy running the Net machine.
>>
>> I think this also unlocks Box trades.
>>
>> > Also, if you start a new game, when can you start transferring to Box?
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> I have no idea about this, but I remember something about an 100 poke
>> limit.
>
> I think the 100 pokemon means you have to have at least that many
> before you can put them back on the cart. But it'd be nice if you can
> simply transfer them from cart to Box right away.

I think you need the the Net machine running before you can trade to box and
to pull poke's from Box you need to have 100 poke's in your dex.