Bad or Missing File While Installing W2k

I just rebuilt my system and couldn't install Win2k from either of my OEM
disks. Each time I tried, I got a message that certain files were corrupted
or missing (e.g., acpi.sys, cpqfcalm.sys). Each install attempt yielded a
different file "problem". I finally gave up and installed an older version
(booting from floppies). I have used at least one of these new OEM W2k CD's
on this exact system before with no problems. Any idea why this might have
happened?

- Magnusfarce

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Magnusfarce" wrote:
|I just rebuilt my system and couldn't install Win2k from either of my OEM
| disks. Each time I tried, I got a message that certain files were
corrupted
| or missing (e.g., acpi.sys, cpqfcalm.sys). Each install attempt yielded a
| different file "problem". I finally gave up and installed an older
version
| (booting from floppies). I have used at least one of these new OEM W2k
CD's
| on this exact system before with no problems. Any idea why this might
have
| happened?
|
| - Magnusfarce

Thanks for the help. I must say, however, that I'm pretty confused by this.
The system is straightforward, and uses the motherboard Ultra DMA (same as
ATA 133, right?) controller. I guess my problem is I've never had to
consider any of this before, and I've used one of these Win2000 CD Roms on
this machine (same mobo) twice before without any of these issues. Where
can I go to learn more about this?

- Magnusfarce

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
> setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
> inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller
detection,
> and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted
> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
> controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Magnusfarce" wrote:
> |I just rebuilt my system and couldn't install Win2k from either of my OEM
> | disks. Each time I tried, I got a message that certain files were
> corrupted
> | or missing (e.g., acpi.sys, cpqfcalm.sys). Each install attempt yielded
> | different file "problem". I finally gave up and installed an older
> version
> | (booting from floppies). I have used at least one of these new OEM W2k
> CD's
> | on this exact system before with no problems. Any idea why this might
> have
> | happened?
> |
> | - Magnusfarce

These may help.