100% CPU Usage

Hello,
When I boot up W2K Pro, I get a 'flying windows' screen
and nothing else. If I call up the task manager, which
takes forever, I get a list of processes running and the
cpu usage is at 100%.
If I boot up in safe mode, the pc runs quite quickly. I
suspect a virus but Stinger can't find anything.
Any suggestions? Is there a list somewhere of which
processes are viruses?

Since you can come up in safemode run your virus scanner to look for
viruses.

Also in safe mode run MSCONFIG and disable all services except for
Microsoft Services, then reboot. If it works in that condition, then
you have a tedious but very easy task ahead of you.

Keep running MSConfig and enabling services one by one or a few at a
time and reboot until you find the service that is hammering your PC.

You may be right about it being a virus.
Look at the services running and a lookup any that you don not know
what they are.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:23:18 -0700, "Steve Wilson"

>Hello,
>When I boot up W2K Pro, I get a 'flying windows' screen
>and nothing else. If I call up the task manager, which
>takes forever, I get a list of processes running and the
>cpu usage is at 100%.
>If I boot up in safe mode, the pc runs quite quickly. I
>suspect a virus but Stinger can't find anything.
>Any suggestions? Is there a list somewhere of which
>processes are viruses?

got rid of it, everyting was good.
Thanks for your help.