Watercooled PSU

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
its total waste of money and power

but i am building a system with one for my good friend with deep pcokets

get a 1000w 85% or if you got $500 that you must spend on a psu get the power and cooling standard

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If your pc was in a class 1 clean room and the water you used was double distilled and deionized a leak wouldnt do much. It would be hard to use the pc, but still.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hmm... If im ever rich im going to build a pool in a clean room, fill it with double distilled and deionized water, and throw a bunch of towers and monitors in. Think, i could have a desk 30ft underwater, with computers all around, crunching away. I could swim around underwater in scuba gear with a laptop, reading THG. I wonder how far down a laptop would operate? Im sure i could go down a few thousand feet... Or a few hundred feet. I would have to swim down to the botton this crazy pool (which is apparently 3000ft deep.) and super glue wifi capable routers everywhere. If i didnt whats the point? I couldnt browse the interwebnets. Although i could get a really, really, really, long ethernet cable. I wonder how far a wifi signal could penetrate underwater? Eh, if im rich enough to build a 3000 foot deep pool filled with ultrapure water inside a class 1 clean room im sure i would have enough money to make the walls out of LCD screen.

Um... Yep...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Congrats on 8000.

Whats the point of my $6000 heated scuba suit then? I would cool the water to -1000c.... Wait, water freezes... Ok, screw water, im going to fill this crazy 3000ft deep pool inside a class one clean room with liquid oxygen. Or maybe liquid helium, whatever is cheaper. I wonder what it would be like to swim around in liquid oxygen?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
SUP, i was on xoxide when i saw this baby; a 1200WATT power supply wit a watercooler! this has enough power a Xfire X2800XTX without a problem. thought it would be a kool thing to show. heres the link; http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-psu-1200atx-12s.html .

l8er :)

What a lump of crap that PSU is.

1) PG delay 100~500.....they can't even nail down the "on" function.

2) Draws the same wall outlet amps as a PC Powercooling yet delivers more watts? Must be "new math" in action.

3) Modular connections! Thats a tip off if nothing else gave it away.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
but i am building a system with one for my good friend with deep pcokets

Dude, you are either a very good salesman or you have really stupid friends. Maybe both. You seem to be building/have recently built just about everything here...

mrmez

Splendid
Yes. 1.2Kw will provide MORE than enuf pwr for that.
But yeh i agree bad idea.
With a p180 type case with lots of room id suggest 2x650W psu's. With a little effort it can be just as simple to use. and should easily cost under $200USD.
If u got the $ to burn and NEED 1kw+ in a single unit... I personally would get an air cooled unit. If u think it will run hot, its pretty easy to add a 120mm fan inside or out. If ur hardcore crack it open, get some thermal adhesive and glue some heatsinks on the existing ones, possibly leaving the psu case off?

Id say u would get 2-3years of good usage (assuming it comes properly filled?), maybe even 5 years if they do a good job be4 u have to crack it open. Just too much hassle imo.

Looks bad azz tho :twisted:

Labs23

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Not just your system.... your house, anyone? :twisted:

:D Well not just the house itself.. :lol: Anyone who wish to use this PSU should buy a Fireproof overall, aka. firefighter's bathing suits.. just in case, and before i forgot, that suit can tolerate 2K volts of electric current... :lol:

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I just touched my LED on the case's front panel, and it feels 3deg above room temperature.
I want to overclock the LED. Should I watercool it or should I go with micro peltier coolers?