[FRLG] Which Move to Keep?

If you had to drop one of the three FIGHTING-type moves, which would it be?

Low Kick
Seismic Toss
Karate Chop

I'm a bit perplexed as at least two of them seem to give variable damage.

Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed amount
of damage in comparision?

- Chad
who is holding off evolving his Mankey until these questions are answered
6 answers Last reply
More about frlg move keep

    "Notus00" <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > If you had to drop one of the three FIGHTING-type moves, which would it
    > be?
    >
    > Low Kick
    > Seismic Toss
    > Karate Chop

    Low Kick does more damage the heavier the opponent is. That is, it'd do a
    lot of damage to an Onix but not that much to a Cleffa.

    Seismic Toss takes away one HP from the opponent for every level of
    experience the user is on. Put simply, when the user reaches :L100, Seismic
    Toss will be at its most powerful, dishing out 100HP of damage.

    Karate Chop is a standard move, base damage 50 if I recall correctly, which
    has a higher-than-usual critical hit ratio.

    It really depends on your preference. Personally, I wouldn't use Seismic
    Toss on a physically powerful Pokémon in the main adventure, but you might
    like its reliability. Low Kick tends to get more useful the further you
    progress, since you'll come across more and more evolved forms, but
    eventually you'll need a better move anyway.

    Myself, I usually favour Low Kick.

    > Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
    > Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed
    > amount
    > of damage in comparision?

    Fury Swipes DOES have a fixed base damage - 18 for each swipe. At max,
    it'll do 90 base damage - 5 more than Body Slam, which is also Normal, will
    ALWAYS have 85 base damage, has a chance of causing paralysis, and countless
    other advantages you may care to mention.

    Fury Swipes is a pretty poor move, and after a certain point in the game,
    you certainly won't need it.

    --
    Steffan Alun

    http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
    http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

    Sapphire PokéDex: 201

    "Notus00" <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

    > Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
    > Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed
    amount
    > of damage in comparision?

    I find it really, and I do mean _really_, annoying when I use a muliple hit
    on the games' pokes and get two hits, and the game uses one and usually gets
    4 or 5. This can be the difference between winning and not winning the
    battle with that poke.

    Usually the accuracy is lacking, there is no power, and the "random" number
    of hits is not what you will need. Anything else is preferable, personally.

    daramark

    daramark wrote:
    > "Notus00" <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    >>Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
    >>Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed amount
    >>of damage in comparision?
    >
    > I find it really, and I do mean _really_, annoying when I use a muliple hit
    > on the games' pokes and get two hits, and the game uses one and usually gets
    > 4 or 5. This can be the difference between winning and not winning the
    > battle with that poke.
    >
    > Usually the accuracy is lacking, there is no power, and the "random" number
    > of hits is not what you will need. Anything else is preferable, personally.

    What daramark said. When evaluating these moves, assume you'll get
    the least possible damage as the "fixed", because you will all too
    often. (Unless you need little damage, like when trying to capture
    a pokemon - but there are better moves that cause a little damage,
    too.)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, daramark wrote:
    > "Notus00" <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
    > > Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed
    > > amount of damage in comparision?
    <<<snip>>>
    > Usually the accuracy is lacking, there is no power, and the "random"
    > number of hits is not what you will need. Anything else is preferable,
    > personally.

    It really depends on the exact move and the 'mon involved - for example,
    Bullet Seed is excellent to put on a Seedot/Nuzleaf since they have no Grass
    moves until you put the Giga Drain TM on them. And Fury Attack (slightly
    less powerful that Fury Swipes, which I'd never use, but also more accurate)
    on, say, a Spearow/Fearow does wonders until you can get Return on it. In
    most cases, though, it's probably not worth it...

    On 29 Sep 2004, Notus00 wrote:
    > If you had to drop one of the three FIGHTING-type moves, which would it be?
    >
    > Low Kick
    > Seismic Toss
    > Karate Chop
    >
    > I'm a bit perplexed as at least two of them seem to give variable damage.

    By the time you have to make such a choice, at least in FR/LG, in my
    experience, you've reached Celadon City and can buy the Brick Break TM to
    replace Karate Chop - and will have found one earlier as well, on the S.S.
    Anne. Seismic Toss is a keeper, of course, because the constant damage gets
    by any Defence - only Ghosts are immune. Low Kick, of course, comes in
    handy when you've got big, nasty, heavy things to fight... Karate Chop is
    expendable since the bonus to critical hits isn't nearly as good as it
    would've been if Karate Chop had given it back in R/B/Y/G/S/C.

    [my Mankey, BTW, was Karate Chop (general usage), Low Kick (for the heavy
    stuff), Seismic Toss (for the stuff that resisted Fighting) and Rock Slide
    (Move Tutor in the Rock Tunnel, as I recall; just so he didn't have to run
    from Flyers - used Rock Tomb (TM) before that for the same reason).
    Replaced Karate Chop with Brick Break after the S.S. Anne. He is now a
    Cross Chop/Low Kick/Seismic Toss/Rock Slide Primeape and good enough in a
    fight that I feel no urge to get a Machamp any tme soon :]

    "Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > daramark wrote:
    > > "Notus00" <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >>Also, what are your thoughts on the random, multiple hit moves like Fury
    > >>Swipes? Is it better to stick to moves that will cause a known, fixed
    amount
    > >>of damage in comparision?
    > >
    > > I find it really, and I do mean _really_, annoying when I use a muliple
    hit
    > > on the games' pokes and get two hits, and the game uses one and usually
    gets
    > > 4 or 5. This can be the difference between winning and not winning the
    > > battle with that poke.
    > >
    > > Usually the accuracy is lacking, there is no power, and the "random"
    number
    > > of hits is not what you will need. Anything else is preferable,
    personally.

    > What daramark said. When evaluating these moves, assume you'll get
    > the least possible damage as the "fixed", because you will all too
    > often. (Unless you need little damage, like when trying to capture
    > a pokemon - but there are better moves that cause a little damage,
    > too.)

    In that case of course it will critical hit. Especially if what you are
    trying to catch is rare. Or even just semi rare. I think all moves do
    that.

    daramark

Games Nintendo Video Games