Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do I want a smartphone or a PDA?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
June 1, 2005 12:02:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
phone.

But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
them.

Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?

Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

More about : smartphone pda

June 1, 2005 6:23:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
> phone.
>
> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
> them.
>
> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
IF the phone service is adequate, definetly go with smartphone. I first
got the old Handspring "Visorphone" about 3 years ago. When it died, I
got my current TMobile pocket pc. I am now anxiously awaiting to have
the time in to qualify for an upgrade. I NEED bluetooth wireless
handset! In the meantime, as a property manager, I have my complete
owner data and tenant rent roll, all phone numbers with two taps to
dial, a fairly complete investment analysis program, access to the mls,
email, inspection checklists, and standard document templates which,
when I get bluetooth, I will be able to edit sitting in traffic, then
print instantly when I walk in the door! My only complaint is how slow
the (dialup speed) internet access is, but then I stop and think what I
had available in the field 5 years ago, and I get over it.
June 1, 2005 6:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>IF the phone service is adequate, definetly go with smartphone.

what exact model smartphone do you have?
Related resources
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That's a very personal decision, which is why there are several options. I
think you may not be fully aware of the difference between a Smartphone and
a Windows Mobile device that is closer to the Treo. Take a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/compare.... which outlines
PPC, PPC Phone Edition and Smartphones. I don't believe there is any
Smartphone on the market yet that has WiFi, though there may be some in
Europe or Asia. If you want WiFi then you are looking more at the Phone
Edition or a regular Pocket PC plus a cell phone. The Cell doesn't need to
be super, but you will likely want to look into a model with BT so that you
could use the phone easily as a modem when you are out of WiFi coverage with
your PPC. Take a look at all the info at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx. I took you straight to
the variation page above to get you up to speed on the differences.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Richard" <rflebbe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:429D1BFD.6080504@hotmail.com...
> me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>> phone.
>>
>> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>> them.
>>
>> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>>
>> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
> IF the phone service is adequate, definetly go with smartphone. I first
> got the old Handspring "Visorphone" about 3 years ago. When it died, I got
> my current TMobile pocket pc. I am now anxiously awaiting to have the time
> in to qualify for an upgrade. I NEED bluetooth wireless handset! In the
> meantime, as a property manager, I have my complete owner data and tenant
> rent roll, all phone numbers with two taps to dial, a fairly complete
> investment analysis program, access to the mls, email, inspection
> checklists, and standard document templates which, when I get bluetooth, I
> will be able to edit sitting in traffic, then print instantly when I walk
> in the door! My only complaint is how slow the (dialup speed) internet
> access is, but then I stop and think what I had available in the field 5
> years ago, and I get over it.
June 1, 2005 7:14:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>IF the phone service is adequate, definetly go with smartphone.
>
>
> what exact model smartphone do you have?
tmobile pocket pc phone edition 2003 p/n 99HL0011-00, I don't remember
if the desig is XDA or XDA II. Forgot to mention I also have a 1GB SD
card inserted with about 250 mp3's for "downtime". I've never upgraded
to the big battery, so their have been occasions it died early
afternoon, but rarely (although listening to mp3's about 1 1/2 hr before
40% warning).
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:00:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e1$t2ZlZFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> I don't believe there is any Smartphone on the market yet that has WiFi,
> though there may be some in Europe or Asia. If you want WiFi then you are
> looking more at the Phone Edition or a regular Pocket PC plus a cell
> phone.

<rant>

We can thank the GREED of the carriers in the states for the lack of WIFI in
a lot of the phone devices. The fear is that people will use more VOIP
instead of going through the carrier for the calls and that a potential
profit loss would then occur. In Europe and Asia the carriers appear to be
more competitive and offer more features and less hobbled phones. In time
as the minutes offered per package increase the carriers will realize that
providing a phone and wireless service will be enough for the profit model
to work ( not unlike Internet service providers that now offer unlimited use
within reason), but for now I am not sure that the cost and feature-robbed
device is better than separate units here in the states.

</rant>
June 1, 2005 2:57:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>That's a very personal decision, which is why there are several options. I
>think you may not be fully aware of the difference between a Smartphone and
>a Windows Mobile device that is closer to the Treo.

Yes you are right. I didn't the know the diff above

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <q52q91dp4si08qnto4225dd5h51q8en73a@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
wrote:
>Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>phone.
>
>But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>them.
>
>Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
>Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

As others have said, it's a personal decision. Up to about a year or two
ago I'd go for a PalmOS PDA (I've used Palm IIIx and currently have a
HandEra 330). Considering the hardware capabilities of modern Pocket PCs,
I'd say the PalmOS, at least for me, is not an option any more.

I've been evaluating the iPAQ h6340 smartphone. Initially I was very
impressed with the possibility of having WiFi, BT *and* GSM+GPRS on one
device.

But in the end, after considering other options, I'll keep GSM and PDA
separate. One of the reasons is that I want a *small* pocketable GSM that
is robust enough so that I don't need to worry about damaging it if I take
it to the seaside, skiing,... A PDA with a large LCD just isn't it.

So I'll keep my SonyEricsson T630 and get a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720.
Cheaper than iPAQ (the difference in price is almost 200 pounds), doesn't
have GSM, but it has VGA, 64MB more RAM, both CF and SD/MM slots, has an
inbuilt camera, is *much* faster, has a USB client (meaning you can
*directly* access USB flash keys and USB disks!). With the price
difference you can get a very good small GSM with BT and you have nearly
everything that you have on a smartphone, including dialup networking via
BT through the GSM.

The two downsides are having to synchronise two phonebooks (although I'm
sure there exists software that lets you dial a number from PDA phonebook
via BT on the GSM) and having to lug two devices along.

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
X ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML in mail and postings.
/ \ I'm a .signature virus. Copy me to help me spread.
June 1, 2005 3:05:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>But in the end, after considering other options, I'll keep GSM and PDA
>separate. One of the reasons is that I want a *small* pocketable GSM that
>is robust enough so that I don't need to worry about damaging it if I take
>it to the seaside, skiing,... A PDA with a large LCD just isn't it.

Well the above is kind of the reasoning I had as
well..... there might be times I don't want one device.
Might wanna carry a very small phone only such as when
swimming or something.

As long as both devices can "talk" to each other.....
maybe that's a better strategy?
June 1, 2005 3:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>We can thank the GREED of the carriers in the states for the lack of WIFI in
>a lot of the phone devices. The fear is that people will use more VOIP
>instead of going through the carrier for the calls and that a potential
>profit loss would then occur.

Ahhhh!

So that's the reason why!

Thanks
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Well the above is kind of the reasoning I had as
> well..... there might be times I don't want one device.
> Might wanna carry a very small phone only such as when
> swimming or something.

I have a XDAIIs which I use during the week at work. It's a great all
purpose PDA Phone. But I have kept my beaten up old mobile phone, and when
I go out hiking boating, etc, etc, I just transfer the SIM card from PDA to
phone. Best of both worlds.

Steve, UK
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:24:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That may be part of it, but it is certainly an unfounded fear IMHO.
Regardless of the hype, ubiquitous WiFi is not as widespread as it might
appear. Free is even less widespread. So the various carriers that offer a
HotSpot plan could even add to their revenue by pushing VoIP over their data
network when you can get it. Then they can hit for interesting charges for
dropping out of the VoIP network to a regular instrument, because in the
States it is still pretty geeky to find VoIP at both ends outside of a
corporate buy-in AFAIK.




--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:kmnr91pv157i61565ane0i83h8b5pvba72@4ax.com...
> >We can thank the GREED of the carriers in the states for the lack of WIFI
> >in
>>a lot of the phone devices. The fear is that people will use more VOIP
>>instead of going through the carrier for the calls and that a potential
>>profit loss would then occur.
>
> Ahhhh!
>
> So that's the reason why!
>
> Thanks
June 2, 2005 2:16:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

both :o )
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:16:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That sounds a little decadent, but it is what I'm doing at the moment. I
have an SMT5600 and a Dell X50v. Both sync famously with my home and work
PCs. I have a tremendous amount of data on a very viewable screen with the
Dell, and if I just want to take a phone, I still have the vast majority of
the data I would normally use in that situation.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
news:1117660592.24460.1@damia.uk.clara.net...
> both :o )
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:55:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:u2W2zKyZFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That may be part of it, but it is certainly an unfounded fear IMHO.
> Regardless of the hype, ubiquitous WiFi is not as widespread as it might
> appear. Free is even less widespread. So the various carriers that offer a
> HotSpot plan could even add to their revenue by pushing VoIP over their
> data network when you can get it. Then they can hit for interesting
> charges for dropping out of the VoIP network to a regular instrument,
> because in the States it is still pretty geeky to find VoIP at both ends
> outside of a corporate buy-in AFAIK.
>


Hey, some links on the topic. I totally agree that it might be an unfounded
fear by the carriers, but the evidence (phone pocket pc features) may point
otherwise. The Links:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand... (Nice
writeup, Darius)

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,67638,00.html
June 3, 2005 12:12:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Sven wrote:
> That sounds a little decadent, but it is what I'm doing at the moment. I
> have an SMT5600 and a Dell X50v. Both sync famously with my home and work
> PCs. I have a tremendous amount of data on a very viewable screen with the
> Dell, and if I just want to take a phone, I still have the vast majority of
> the data I would normally use in that situation.


Yep, I have a Nokia 6630 and an Ipaq. Both have their own uses, and I
wouldn't want to drain my phone listening to music and typing so much
that I couldn't make any phone calls. Buy a PDA, and get a smartphone on
contract.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 3, 2005 2:34:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>both :o )

so I could buy both a Treo 650 and PPC?

Or should I stick with windows based smart phone and a
windows based PPC?
!