Sign in with
Your question

Any chance of recovering or throw in bin time?

Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2007 2:09:44 PM

About a week ago I got the dreaded blue screen of death while doing a virus scan on my laptop pc.
It seems that my lappy HDD had decided it had done enough in this lifetime and failed. There were about 6 bad sectors found when running a disk check. It refused to boot up windows, so i replaced the HDD and reloaded everything I could.

I then decided to get an IDE converter and run the disk as a slave in order to recover as much as possible. Unfortunately the IDE converter had a 40 pin connector with no blocked off pin 20(?), so it wouldn't fit my IDE cable.
And the lappy hdd gave no indication as to which pin was pin 1 etc.

So I have mounted the HDD in an external USB caddy and plugged it into another machine.
Windows detects it and installs it as a removable mass storage device. Unfortunately the size of this storage device is 0 bytes. Error checking and fixing won't work because there is nothing to check! And running a backup programme backs up 0 bytes (unsurprisingly)

I am about to chuck the lot in the bin and put it down to experience, but if anyone knows anything else I can try, please let me know.
a b G Storage
March 6, 2007 11:11:48 AM

What works for me when external hard disks are not recognized in one computer is to plug it in another computer. For some reason the problems disappear.
March 6, 2007 11:40:43 AM

A bit strange.... my brother's external HDD did this once, just lost all his info for no reason... could be anything I suppose, windows deciding to delete the partition, power issues...? If windows recognises the HDD then the hardware must be okay, so I'd chuck it personally.
March 6, 2007 5:43:32 PM

I tried it in two PC's - no luck.

In the end, rather than chuck it, I decided on a full format and its working again.

I can't figure out why it couldn't find any of my info, when it was probably a problem with bad sectors only. Strange.

Anyway, I have lost some of my info (had about 90% backed up), but gained an external 2.5" HDD, so its not all bad!!
!