Problem Reinstalling Win 2K Pro - Error Code 7 (halacpi.dll)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Hello,

I have the following problem when trying to format my laptop. I have
Windows 2000 Professional, which includes 4 floppies and a Cd. After I
am asked to insert floppy #2 (while booting computer), and error
message appears saying the following:

File \halacpi.dll could not be loaded.
The error code is 7
Setup cannot continue. press any key to exit.

I have tried numerous things to bypass this problem, including trying
to boot from the CD-ROM (after having changed my booting order in the
BIOS). I have also started Windows and have tried to go into the Cd’s
"English" folder (the only folder on the Cd) but the computer
replies "Do you want to format the CD-ROM drive"!!!???. I have put
the Cd in another computer to verify whether or not is working
properly and I was able to access the "English" folder as well as
activate the setup directly from the Cd; thus, the Cd should be fine.
The one thing I did not try was to boot that other computer with the
floppies; I don’t want to format that other computer now. Please let
me know what can I do to fix this error and be able to do a full
format of my harddrive. By the way, I have used these floppies and Cd
before to format that same laptop and the other computer I mentioned
with no problems (about three years ago).

Thank you,

Jorge

PS: My laptop is a Pentium 800Mhz with 256MB and 20GB of HD.

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-Problem-Reinstalling-Win-2K-Pro-Error-Code-halacpi.dll-ftopict189350.html

    Two things come to mind; You might try clearing (resetting) cmos to factory
    default. You may have a defective RAM module.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "eurojourney" wrote:
    | Hello,
    |
    | I have the following problem when trying to format my laptop. I have
    | Windows 2000 Professional, which includes 4 floppies and a Cd. After I
    | am asked to insert floppy #2 (while booting computer), and error
    | message appears saying the following:
    |
    | File \halacpi.dll could not be loaded.
    | The error code is 7
    | Setup cannot continue. press any key to exit.
    |
    | I have tried numerous things to bypass this problem, including trying
    | to boot from the CD-ROM (after having changed my booting order in the
    | BIOS). I have also started Windows and have tried to go into the Cd's
    | "English" folder (the only folder on the Cd) but the computer
    | replies "Do you want to format the CD-ROM drive"!!!???. I have put
    | the Cd in another computer to verify whether or not is working
    | properly and I was able to access the "English" folder as well as
    | activate the setup directly from the Cd; thus, the Cd should be fine.
    | The one thing I did not try was to boot that other computer with the
    | floppies; I don't want to format that other computer now. Please let
    | me know what can I do to fix this error and be able to do a full
    | format of my harddrive. By the way, I have used these floppies and Cd
    | before to format that same laptop and the other computer I mentioned
    | with no problems (about three years ago).
    |
    | Thank you,
    |
    | Jorge
    |
    | PS: My laptop is a Pentium 800Mhz with 256MB and 20GB of HD.
    |
    | --
    | http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    | Topic URL:
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-Problem-Reinstalling-Win-2K-Pro-Error-Code-halacpi.dll-ftopict189350.html
    | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=555669

    Could be that the second disk is faulty. If you go onto
    the CDROM and find the "BOOTDISK\" directory and at the
    DOS prompt type "MAKEBOOT a:" to recreate the boot
    floppies.

    You'll need 4 blank floppies for this, and probably need
    to do it from another PC.

    Hope this helps

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"eurojourney" wrote:
    >| Hello,
    >|
    >| I have the following problem when trying to format my
    laptop. I have
    >| Windows 2000 Professional, which includes 4 floppies
    and a Cd. After I
    >| am asked to insert floppy #2 (while booting computer),
    and error
    >| message appears saying the following:
    >|
    >| File \halacpi.dll could not be loaded.
    >| The error code is 7
    >| Setup cannot continue. press any key to exit.
    >|
    >| I have tried numerous things to bypass this problem,
    including trying
    >| to boot from the CD-ROM (after having changed my
    booting order in the
    >| BIOS). I have also started Windows and have tried to go
    into the Cd's
    >| "English" folder (the only folder on the Cd) but the
    computer
    >| replies "Do you want to format the CD-ROM drive"!!!???.
    I have put
    >| the Cd in another computer to verify whether or not is
    working
    >| properly and I was able to access the "English" folder
    as well as
    >| activate the setup directly from the Cd; thus, the Cd
    should be fine.
    >| The one thing I did not try was to boot that other
    computer with the
    >| floppies; I don't want to format that other computer
    now. Please let
    >| me know what can I do to fix this error and be able to
    do a full
    >| format of my harddrive. By the way, I have used these
    floppies and Cd
    >| before to format that same laptop and the other
    computer I mentioned
    >| with no problems (about three years ago).
    >|
    >| Thank you,
    >|
    >| Jorge
    >|
    >| PS: My laptop is a Pentium 800Mhz with 256MB and 20GB
    of HD.

    >| --
    >| http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted
    by author's request
    >| Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
    standards
    >| Topic URL:
    >http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-
    Problem-Reinstalling-Win-2K-Pro-Error-Code-halacpi.dll-
    ftopict189350.html
    >| Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    abuse:
    >http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=555669
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Error code 7 means:

    The storage control blocks were destroyed.

    Seems like you may have a RAM problem, as Dave Patrick
    suggested.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    "anonymous1" wrote:
> [...]

    Can these problems be associated with a virus? Since I had the CDROM
    for Windows Millenium (which I really don’t like) I tried to install
    it. It seems to work so far. I will try to reinstall Windows 2000 now
    and see if I can get it to work. I am concern about the potential RAM
    problem. If that is the problem in the end, will buying new RAM solve
    the problem or am I facing an unrepairable condition with my Laptop?
    Let me know...

    Thanks,

    Jorge

    --