To Pegasus!

Hi!
May be this is a silly question: but, I wonder if you
know anything about Linux. I am planing to repartition my
HD and I want to install on the prim part. w2k and on
extended Linux (redhat 7.2). I am not sure if I could do
that without help of an expert. I wonder if you could
tell me how. Many Thanks, L

Hi,

This can be a tough and interesting thing to configure.
You may be able to get it to work though you may have issues.

I do not recommend any of these ideas for a production environment.
Make sure that you are not doing this on a computer that does not have all
important data backed up.

Here are some Non Microsoft links
I have not tested these personally.
We do not support this configuration

They do appear to be written by people that have had some success with this
type of configuration.

http://linux.ittoolbox.com/documents/document.asp?i=2041

http://www.science.smith.edu/~ejensen/linuxclass/w2kboot.html

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/15683/15683.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/2/2002/12/1/8294

Kenneth C. Engelhardt
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

"Lebesgue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> May be this is a silly question: but, I wonder if you
> know anything about Linux. I am planing to repartition my
> HD and I want to install on the prim part. w2k and on
> extended Linux (redhat 7.2). I am not sure if I could do
> that without help of an expert. I wonder if you could
> tell me how. Many Thanks, L

I know next to nothing about Linux but I know that your
type of multi-booting system is easily implemented. I would
go about it like so:
1. Get a copy of the XOSL boot manager. It's free!
2. Partition your disk like so:
Primary: 5 GBytes (for Win2000)
Logical 1: 5 GBytes (for Linux)
Logical 2: 10 GBytes (for shared data)
Logical 3: 10 MBytes (for XOSL)
3. Install Win2000 in its partition.
4. Install XOSL in its dedicated partition
5. Add the Win2000 and the Linux drives to the XOSL menu.
6. Instruct XOSL to hide the Win2000 and the Linux drives
from each other.
7. Test the Win2000 boot.
8. Boot into Linux. The machine will lock up (because
you have no OS on that partition!) but the Linux partition
will be visible.
8. Install Linux.