Intel Mobos @ 1333?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I've seen them supporting 1333 and a few that have said they'll support future 1333 cpu's (ASUS). Does this mean any board supporting 1333 will/should be able to support the 45nm's? (Particularly the 680i boards) That'd make for a really nice upgrade path for sure. Quad-core with HT lol here we come >_>

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Generally, the possible support issues with Penryn would stem from voltage regulation (VRM) rather than bus speeds. I wouldn't worry about bus speeds and just wait to see what boards/chipsets will actually support Penryn.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
yes, I read somewhere that Intel was gonna change the VRM specification so we dont know yet if it is gonna be supported by current mobos. But any 1333mhz CPU at 65nm should work normally with any board supporting 1333mhz.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
ima swing with Eregular on this, the bearlake comes out soon, and it has things avalible,ddr3,pcix v2, and for sure, will be penryn compatible, well worth the wait

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
most likly yes - its hard to image they are going to make any changes like c2d lower voltage its already uselessly too low - well unless you have a lap top and battery life is important.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
dragonsprayer is a weird one, so mostly disregard what he says. lower volts, means less heat. If Intel does inded have the penryn operating at the same speeds as the conroes, at a much lower volt, then they should overclock a good deal higher

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
all things are relitive, bearlake will take you to the final,fastest penryn produced,and a year isnt bad for an enthusist board

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
From what I have heard, Socket B will probably be for servers - it will come with CSI and its processors will use an IMC (the reason Socket B has so many pins). Socket H is more for desktops - it will not use an IMC, and whether it has CSI is still up in the air. I have no idea what they will use for their mobile platform. I'm mostly just guessing what the sockets will be used for since so little is known about them.

These articles are about the most information that is known at this time:
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4182
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4295

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
From what I have heard, Socket B will probably be for servers - it will come with CSI and its processors will use an IMC (the reason Socket B has so many pins). Socket H is more for desktops - it will not use an IMC, and whether it has CSI is still up in the air. I have no idea what they will use for their mobile platform. I'm mostly just guessing what the sockets will be used for since so little is known about them.

These articles are about the most information that is known at this time:
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4182
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4295

Thanks for reposting the links, Is always good to keep them in your favorites in case you forget all this numbers :D

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
hmmmmmmm,im pretty sure Intel has decided the desktop will have the imc in it...let me se if i can find any links

Best as I understand it, Intel will do two versions of Nehelem.

There will be a CSI (a.k.a +/- Hypertransport) AND a FSB version for the lower end market.

Actually Intels CSI will be superior to AMD's current hypertransport, it's basically a full blown implementation of the proposed 5 link EV8 structure from the stillborn Alpha EV8 21464 project. - though I expect AMD to move closer and closer to the full EV8 structure over time as well.

When I look at the old Alpha architecture, you really have to wonder what wouold have happened if all those $Billions HP and Intel spent on the Itanic had been put into the Alpha what might have happened.

The Alpha was soooooooooooooo far ahead of it's time, it was just amazing.