Anyone E6300 Stock Fan OC?

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I am new and thinking about OCing. Should I bother with Wusy's guide if I just have the stock HSF? Has anyone else tried it?

Current Data:
TcaseIdle=29C
TjuncIdle=40C
TcaseLoad=46C
TjuncLoad=57C
Freq=1.866
FSB=266/1066
S3 Motherboard

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
If you put it on properly, you could get about 2.5 to 2.8 Ghz. Remember, that unless you are running weird SETi programs or benchmarks, temps never get as high as they do under testing (ie I get 65 with TAT, 50 Core Temp, playing Supreme Commander rarely goes above 30 with Core Temp)

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Looks like your the only one to try it...Thanks for the response! I am thrilled with the prospects you mention. I will have to give it a try.

I think I will start with 1333/2.3GHz and see how she runs!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
labortius, I'm sorry to pop your bubble, but Core Temp is false, and is offset by -15c. Core Temp must agree with TAT within ~2c, and Core Temp can not Idle near ambient.

I get 65 with TAT, 50 Core Temp, playing Supreme Commander rarely goes above 30 with Core Temp

From the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide:

Thermal Flow

Heat originates within the cores, and is highest where the dual Tjunction sensors are located. Heat is then dissipated throughout the CPU die to the socket and motherboard, and to the Integrated Heat Spreader, where the single Tcase sensor, located between the cores, is 15c lower. Heat is then transferred to the CPU cooler, and finally to air inside the computer case. CPU temperatures are then determined by computer case cooling efficiency and Ambient temperature. Regardless of Load, Tjunction is always ~ 15c higher than Tcase, and Tcase is always higher than Ambient.

Parameters

(A) Vcore should not exceed ~ 1.5v.

(B) Tjunction is always ~ 15c higher than Tcase.

(C) Tcase is always higher than Ambient.

(D) Tcase Idle should be ~ 2 to 15c higher than Ambient.

(E) Tjunction Idle should be ~ 15 to 30c higher than Ambient.

(F) Tcase Load should not exceed ~ 55c.

(G) Tjunction Load should not exceed ~ 70c.

(H) Idle to Load Delta should not exceed ~ 25c.

(I) Tjunction Results are highest core Idle and Load.

Troubleshooting

(A) Vcore will typically sag ~ .025 volts under Load.

(B) Offsets between Core #0 and Core #1 of ~ 3c are normal.

(C) SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets.

(D) Any hardware and / or software may misreport Tcase and / or Tjunction temps.

(E) 965 chipsets may misreport Tcase and Tjunction temperatures with +/-15c offsets.

(F) 6XX chipsets may misreport Tcase and / or Tjunction accuracy at upper or lower scale.

(G) TAT may not run on Vista. Orthos Priority 9 Small FFT’s simulates 88% load ~ 5c lower.

(H) Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c. This field is Intel's Tj max spec, is info only, and does not change.

(I) C2D’s manufactured with concave Integrated Heat Spreaders may report high Deltas and temps.

(J) An Improperly seated CPU cooler is the primary cause of abnormally high temperatures.

Offsets

If temperatures don’t meet the Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets. From the “Readings” tab, click on the “Configure” button, then click on the “Advanced” tab. Next, click on the “Chip” field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan’s “Help and HOW-TO” icon included in the installation Program Group. Under “Contents” click on “How to configure” then click on “How to set Advanced Options”. Read this entire section including “Other interesting options” and “Temperature x offset. When configured, SpeedFan will provide a means to display all 3 Tcase and Tjunction temperatures correctly. SpeedFan is also extremely useful for observing temperatures and voltages using the “Charts” tab, while thermal benchmarking with TAT.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Geckoeyes, rather than go over this again (CT has explained him/herself thoroughly in another thread about temps here)

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Post-E4300-Overclock-ftopict219450.html

and I'm gettin' a real sense of deja vu!

Some sources have said CoreTemp is right, and TAT is off by +15, and others say TAT is right and CoreTemp is off by -15. Confusion reigns! I've found that CoreTemp agrees with Speedfan and my bios mostly by a few degrees so I've tended to believe this. Ok even with 15 added, 45 under load isn't too bad, I don't think, and I'm on past 3Ghz.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'm using stock fan with 6400 @ 3.2
My temps are fine.
I could get lower with another probably but I wasn't about to spend more money.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
geckoeyes, sorry I initially skipped over your post. Your temps are fine, so you should be able to set 1.35 Vcore, then OC to the highest stable clock. The stock CPU cooler really can't maintain safe temps much above 1.35 Vcore, so plan on 2.8 Ghz, but get what you can.

Good luck,

Comp 8)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Some sources have said CoreTemp is right, and TAT is off by +15, and others say TAT is right and CoreTemp is off by -15. Confusion reigns! I've found that CoreTemp agrees with Speedfan and my bios mostly by a few degrees so I've tended to believe this. Ok even with 15 added, 45 under load isn't too bad, I don't think, and I'm on past 3Ghz.

labortius, what I see here indicates that I still haven't adequately decribed the thermal relationships between ambient, Tcase, and Tjunction.

I'm gettin' a real sense of deja vu!

Thermal Flow

Heat originates within the cores, and is highest where the dual Tjunction sensors are located. Heat is then dissipated throughout the CPU die to the socket and motherboard, and to the Integrated Heat Spreader, where the single Tcase sensor, located between the cores, is 15c lower. Heat is then transferred to the CPU cooler, and finally to air inside the computer case. CPU temperatures are then determined by computer case cooling efficiency and Ambient temperature. Regardless of Load, Tjunction is always ~ 15c higher than Tcase, and Tcase is always higher than Ambient.

Parameters

(B) Tjunction is always ~ 15c higher than Tcase.

(C) Tcase is always higher than Ambient.

(D) Tcase Idle should be ~ 2 to 15c higher than Ambient.

(E) Tjunction Idle should be ~ 15 to 30c higher than Ambient.

As you can see, the Tjunction values in Core Temp and SpeedFan 4.32 do not meet the Parameters. Let me be crystal clear about this; although all 3 programs can read, or misread the dual Tjunction sensors, in your situation, the majority does not rule. TAT is correct, and both Core Temp and SpeedFan 4.32 are misreporting Tjunction temps. Therefore, I strongly recommend that you uninstall Core Temp and forget about it. Use the advanced configuration within SpeedFan to correct the Core 1 & Core 2 -15c offsets, as shown in the Guide under Offsets:

Offsets

If temperatures don’t meet the Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets. From the “Readings” tab, click on the “Configure” button, then click on the “Advanced” tab. Next, click on the “Chip” field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan’s “Help and HOW-TO” icon included in the installation Program Group. Under “Contents” click on “How to configure” then click on “How to set Advanced Options”. Read this entire section including “Other interesting options” and “Temperature x offset. When configured, SpeedFan will provide a means to display all 3 Tcase and Tjunction temperatures correctly. SpeedFan is also extremely useful for observing temperatures and voltages using the “Charts” tab, while thermal benchmarking with TAT.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
This is great. Thanks for your help! I am testing everything and documenting so I have a good record of defaults.

Lucky for me Speedfan 4.3.2 and TAT...0427 are reporting the same temp for Tjunction (i didn't need to offset either).

There is a 4th temp (temp1) in speed fan I wish I knew what it was for on my Gigabyte S3 board. I can't run Easy Tune on Vista to figure it out. I also don't quite get the voltages in speed fan:
Vcore1: 1.33V (this seems like vCore)
Vcore2: 1.89V (why is this so high? memory voltage?)
etc.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Just to add a bit and set your mind at ease, the stock cooling is fine. My rig is running at 3.01 with temps at 55/54 at idle. Topped at 63 under full load, but I've never seen anything over 57 after a couple hours of gaming. Readings are the same from CoreTemp or TAT. Temps may be a touch on the high side, but are nowhere near dangerous. Also running at default vcore of 1.35.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If ambient is ~ 22c, then you're not on the high side at 63c with TAT. When you exceed 70c then you're pushing toward hot, but your comments are sound. Just visualize the colored temp scale in the Guide.

Comp 8)

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Ok. Taking baby steps. I get the following:

Tcase-34/53 SpeedFan 4.32
Tjunc-47/66 SpeedFan 4.32
Ambient-21
Chipset-965
C2D-e6300
Cooler-Stock
Freq-333/1333/2331
Load-TAT/PCMARK
MB-GA-P965-S3
Vcore-1.328

Memory
Vddr-2.1
800 5-5-5-15 1:1 runs @ 667 5-5-5-13

I had to bump the memory voltage to boot. The rest are default.
What do you think? Should I keep it here till I get a better CPU fan?
Will bumping up Vcore reduce temps?

Thanks so much.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Will bumping up Vcore reduce temps?

geckoeyes, sorry, it works the other way around. Temperatures increases with Vcore. This is covered in the Guide. Increase your OC while maintaining stock manual Vcore, as frequency has much less affect on temps. You still have a few degrees to play with, just don't exceed 70c with TAT @ 100%.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
my e6300 is at stock, i applied AS-5 though, but it seems there isnt much of an improvement (maybe 1-2c..oh well its been less than 12 hours since i applied it so i hope it gets beter soon)

ambient temps here are 33c and im getting these temps

IDLE
SPeedfan

Tcase 42c
Core 55c

Coretemp and TAT shows

around 55c too

LOAD

Speedfan

Tcase 57c
Core 67c

Coretemp and TAT shows roughly the same as Speedfan Core

I have a GA-965P-S3 motherboard

do you recommend overclocking my e6300?

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
lols yes..i was trying to look into the temps of other people OCing their conroes using stock fan..:)

dont get me wrong, at stock this processor still shines over my old A64 but if i can get extra speeds, that would be a bonus :D

since i have a P965 chipset, can you please elaborate more on this:

965 chipsets may misreport Tcase and Tjunction temperatures with +/-15c offsets.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I think we went over offsets, so check it out on the other thread. Regarding overclocking, the answer is still the same; under your computer's current environmental conditions with the stock cooler, you have very little ceiling with which to overclock. If you want to push your temps beyond 70c, it's your rig, but I don't recommend it.

Good luck,

Comp 8)

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
ok thanks...i guess ill have to wait a few more days and hope this AS-5 makes my rig cooler, ive been running it for 12 hours now but the temp decrease isnt noticeable :( and if it doesnt, maybe ill just get an aftermarket cooler

anyway, will using aftermarket coolers void my warranty?

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Here is where I am at today. Higher than expected with stock cooling setup. Hope this helps anyone else get started. Please advise if anyone has any fine tuning suggetions.

BIOS Settings
Bus CLK 400
DDR V 1.8+0.3=2.1
PCIE V Norm
FSB V Norm
MCH V Norm
CPU V Vcore (<1.35) 1.325

CPU-Z Data
CPU
Vcore Idle (<1.35) 1.312
Vcore Load 1.280
Core Spd 2800
Bus Spd 400
FSB 1600
Memory
Freq 400
FSB:DDR 1:1
DDR 5-5-5-15

Speedfan
HD0 42
T1 ? 42
T2 Tcase Idle (<35) 35
Tjun Idle (<50) 47
T2 Tcase Load (<55) 60
Tjun Load (<70) 70
Vcore 1 1.31
Vcore 2 (DDR) 2.08

PCMark Now 7042
PCMark Stock 5492

Ambient 21

Thanks for all your help CT!

geckoeyes

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Sorry. Was putting extra data for others reference.
Here are the vitals:

Temps from SpeedFan 4.32
Load from TAT
Tcase Idle-35
Tjunc Idle-47
Tcase Load-60
Tjunc Load- 70
Ambient-21
Chipset-965
C2D-e6300
Cooler-Stock
Freq-400/1600/2800