newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
OK.. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I looked a bit and couldn't find it posted.

I have an older gateway desktop running windows xp home edition..

I have a laptop that runs XP pro, and I'm getting ready to buy another desktop that will probably be windows media center..

I already have a wireless network for the internet. But, I want to be able to see the hard drive of my desktop from my laptop in windows explorer, and vice versa.. I'm confused about how to do this. I guess I need to know the IP address of the computer I want to see.

TIA... :?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You say you have "wireless network for the internet". What does that mean, exactly? Do you have a modem (cable, DSL) connected to or integrated with a wireless router? Which of your current computers are connected with this wireless network and how are they connected? Have you run the Windows home network setup wizard on your machines?

newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi Tom,

It is DSL.. My desktop is connected witha cable, and my laptop is wireless.

No, I haven't run the home network setup.. Maybe I should try this?

Thanks..

joan

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yes. Run the home network setup wizard on both of your current machines. Use the same workgroup name with a unique computer name for each machine. Once that is done, then enable sharing on the drives or folders you want to share.

newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
:D

Thanks.. that was so easy!! Now, one last question. I want to share all folders on both PCs. I assume this is something I do under administrative tools, but I don't see where..

sturm

Splendid
in my computer, right click the drive you want to share and select sharing and security.
It would be better to only set certain folders to share for security reasons but its up to you.

newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
thanks... OK.. when you say.. only set certain folders.. is this because when I have my pcs networked, to each other, it opens a security threat from outside sources.. (i know you are probably lol right now)..

because I am the only person that is ever on the PCs here, and my work is not confidential, but of course, i don't want predators seeing it..

newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
ok.. one last question.. what security settings do you recommend in terms of firewall, etc?

I have norton live update on, and windows firewall

however, I have internet security turned off. It drives me crazy constantly asking me to grant acess to stuff..

tia