Help! I have a secondary hd that failed.

I have experienced a secondary hard drive failure. Have
replaced the secondary hard drive. I need to re-install
Windows 2000 Pro. I want to preserve the file system and
all information on the primary hard drive. What's the
best procedure for this re-installation process?
..

Will Windows 2000 Pro allow me to integrate a second hard
drive back into the computer while preserving the primary
hard drive?
10 answers Last reply
More about help secondary failed

    Tell us the partition details of each drive, what is installed on the system
    partition, and what drive and partition the operating system was installed
    on?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Joe" wrote:
    |I have experienced a secondary hard drive failure. Have
    | replaced the secondary hard drive. I need to re-install
    | Windows 2000 Pro. I want to preserve the file system and
    | all information on the primary hard drive. What's the
    | best procedure for this re-installation process?
    | .
    |
    | Will Windows 2000 Pro allow me to integrate a second hard
    | drive back into the computer while preserving the primary
    | hard drive?

    Dave,

    My partition setup is very simple. The original
    installation configuration was two fat32 partitions, one
    per each hard drive, consuming the entire hard drives
    respectively. The primary hard drive has its partition
    set to active and the O/S was installed on the primary
    hard drive. Is this enough information for you to assist
    me?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"Joe" wrote:
    >|I have experienced a secondary hard drive failure. Have
    >| replaced the secondary hard drive. I need to re-install
    >| Windows 2000 Pro. I want to preserve the file system
    and
    >| all information on the primary hard drive. What's the
    >| best procedure for this re-installation process?
    >| .
    >|
    >| Will Windows 2000 Pro allow me to integrate a second
    hard
    >| drive back into the computer while preserving the
    primary
    >| hard drive?
    >

    >.

    Ok, this was a little confusing since you mentioned failure of the secondary
    hard drive. After you replace the drive you can partition, format and assign
    drive letters within the Disk Management snap-in.
    Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

    --

    "Joe" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | My partition setup is very simple. The original
    | installation configuration was two fat32 partitions, one
    | per each hard drive, consuming the entire hard drives
    | respectively. The primary hard drive has its partition
    | set to active and the O/S was installed on the primary
    | hard drive. Is this enough information for you to assist
    | me?

    I apologize for the confusion. What I mean is that my
    second hard drive died. I had to replace it. My computer
    won't boot and informs me that I need to replace
    the "ntoskrnl.exe" file in the "windows\system32" folder.
    I have replaced the hard drive, physically, with another
    one. I haven't attempted to partition it as to I am using
    a startup disk that I made some time ago with Win98. I
    would like to be able to start my systems using Win2000
    Pro, partition and use the second hard drive as normal.
    Does this clarify the situation better?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"Joe" wrote:
    >| Dave,
    >|
    >| My partition setup is very simple. The original
    >| installation configuration was two fat32 partitions, one
    >| per each hard drive, consuming the entire hard drives
    >| respectively. The primary hard drive has its partition
    >| set to active and the O/S was installed on the primary
    >| hard drive. Is this enough information for you to
    assist
    >| me?
    >

    >.

    As long as the drive jumpers are correct then the operating system should
    start as normal. Try removing the new drive, set the primary IDE drive
    jumpers (I'm assuming IDE) accordingly and see if it starts.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    |I apologize for the confusion. What I mean is that my
    | second hard drive died. I had to replace it. My computer
    | won't boot and informs me that I need to replace
    | the "ntoskrnl.exe" file in the "windows\system32" folder.
    | I have replaced the hard drive, physically, with another
    | one. I haven't attempted to partition it as to I am using
    | a startup disk that I made some time ago with Win98. I
    | would like to be able to start my systems using Win2000
    | Pro, partition and use the second hard drive as normal.
    | Does this clarify the situation better?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Your assumption is correct. The drives are ide. The
    jumpers are correct. I will give your solution an attempt
    later this evenig when I am home. If your solution fails
    to work I will be back to see if I can learn of another
    method. Thanks!

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >|I apologize for the confusion. What I mean is that my
    >| second hard drive died. I had to replace it. My
    computer
    >| won't boot and informs me that I need to replace
    >| the "ntoskrnl.exe" file in the "windows\system32"
    folder.
    >| I have replaced the hard drive, physically, with another
    >| one. I haven't attempted to partition it as to I am
    using
    >| a startup disk that I made some time ago with Win98. I
    >| would like to be able to start my systems using Win2000
    >| Pro, partition and use the second hard drive as normal.
    >| Does this clarify the situation better?
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It would seem quite a coincident but your Windows 2000 install may be
    damaged in an unrelated way. Either case you'll want to remove the
    possibility of the other drive from the picture for trouble shooting
    purposes.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Your assumption is correct. The drives are ide. The
    | jumpers are correct. I will give your solution an attempt
    | later this evenig when I am home. If your solution fails
    | to work I will be back to see if I can learn of another
    | method. Thanks!
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    on it.
    it will not afect your primary.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave, I tried the suggestion that you gave me and now my
    system fails to boot. I am now presented the message
    that "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer
    disk hardware configuration problem." What must I do to
    get the computer to start or reinstall the O/S that will
    preserve the information on the existing hard drive?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Your assumption is correct. The drives are ide. The
    >| jumpers are correct. I will give your solution an
    attempt
    >| later this evenig when I am home. If your solution
    fails
    >| to work I will be back to see if I can learn of another
    >| method. Thanks!
    >

    >.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    You'll need to correct the hardware configuration problem before you can do
    anything. Check the instructions for your disk drive for the correct jumper
    placement and the mobo manual for your drive controller settings. If you
    don't have these documents then check the manufacturer's web site for them.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Dave, I tried the suggestion that you gave me and now my
    | system fails to boot. I am now presented the message
    | that "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer
    | disk hardware configuration problem." What must I do to
    | get the computer to start or reinstall the O/S that will
    | preserve the information on the existing hard drive?

Windows 2000 Hard Drives Windows