Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stop Error Message

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:21:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
been scheduled. This is the first time this has happened,
and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).

It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed to
lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1% of
free space on the hard drive.

Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and
terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
corruption, and then restart your computer.

a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with up-
to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.

b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
the original, and there were no efforts to change config
or play with the wiring.

c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial splash
screen.

HELP.

More about : stop error message

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You can start the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
command;
chkdsk /r
from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk,
fixboot,and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been
validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

Also you didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA,
or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), you may need to *F6* very early and very
important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive
controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later
you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver
for your raid controller in drive "A"

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"T Diesen" wrote:
| Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
| it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
| been scheduled. This is the first time this has happened,
| and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
| ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).
|
| It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed to
| lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1% of
| free space on the hard drive.
|
| Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
| and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
| 0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
|
| If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
| screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
| again, follow these steps:
|
| Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
| installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
| your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and
| terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
| corruption, and then restart your computer.
|
| a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with up-
| to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
| viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.
|
| b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
| the original, and there were no efforts to change config
| or play with the wiring.
|
| c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
| appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial splash
| screen.
|
| HELP.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 5:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to get
your advice to work.

As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
see "boot from network" as an option, which I can probably
do early next week, take it into work and use that to set
the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
be easier to do sooner in time.


>-----Original Message-----
>You can start the recovery console and from a command
prompt issue the
>command;
>chkdsk /r
>from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f
and /p)
>
>To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from
the Windows 2000
>Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you
do not have Setup
>floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
Windows 2000 Setup CD,
>use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
Setup floppy disks.
>Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
to repair a Windows
>2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
Console. The
>Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
password. If you do
>not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not
allow access to the
>computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
times, the Recovery
>Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the
registry is corrupted
>or missing or no valid installations are found, the
Recovery Console starts
>in the root of the startup volume without requiring a
password. You cannot
>access any folders, but you can carry out commands such
as chkdsk,
>fixboot,and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the
password has been
>validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
but limited access
>to the hard disk. You can only access the following
folders on your
>computer: %systemroot% and %windir%
>
>Also you didn't mention the drive controller (possibly
SCSI, or ultra DMA,
>or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), you may need to *F6*
very early and very
>important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the
setup to prevent drive
>controller detection, and select S to specify additional
drivers. Then later
>you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied
Windows 2000 driver
>for your raid controller in drive "A"
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"T Diesen" wrote:
>| Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
>| it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
>| been scheduled. This is the first time this has
happened,
>| and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
>| ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).
>|
>| It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed
to
>| lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1%
of
>| free space on the hard drive.
>|
>| Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
>| and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
>| 0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
>|
>| If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
>| screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
>| again, follow these steps:
>|
>| Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
>| installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
>| your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured
and
>| terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
>| corruption, and then restart your computer.
>|
>| a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with
up-
>| to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
>| viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.
>|
>| b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
>| the original, and there were no efforts to change config
>| or play with the wiring.
>|
>| c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
>| appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial
splash
>| screen.
>|
>| HELP.
>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:13:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Sounds like you're still not booting from the CD-Rom at this point. Possibly
look for the key stroke at POST to start from the CD-Rom drive or check the
mobo manual for instructions.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"T Diesen" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to get
| your advice to work.
|
| As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
| CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
| the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
| see "boot from network" as an option, which I can probably
| do early next week, take it into work and use that to set
| the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
| be easier to do sooner in time.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:13:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Thank you, I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Will keep trying. They truly are wonderful toys.. right
up to the point where they become glorified
paperweights. :D 



>-----Original Message-----
>Sounds like you're still not booting from the CD-Rom at
this point. Possibly
>look for the key stroke at POST to start from the CD-Rom
drive or check the
>mobo manual for instructions.
>
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"T Diesen" wrote:
>| Dave,
>|
>| Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to
get
>| your advice to work.
>|
>| As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
>| CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
>| the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
>| see "boot from network" as an option, which I can
probably
>| do early next week, take it into work and use that to
set
>| the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
>| be easier to do sooner in time.
>
>
>.
>
!