Stop Error Message

Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
been scheduled. This is the first time this has happened,
and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).

It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed to
lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1% of
free space on the hard drive.

Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and
terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
corruption, and then restart your computer.

a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with up-
to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.

b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
the original, and there were no efforts to change config
or play with the wiring.

c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial splash
screen.

HELP.
4 answers Last reply
More about stop error message

    You can start the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    command;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk,
    fixboot,and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been
    validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
    to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
    computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

    Also you didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA,
    or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), you may need to *F6* very early and very
    important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive
    controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later
    you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver
    for your raid controller in drive "A"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "T Diesen" wrote:
    | Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
    | it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
    | been scheduled. This is the first time this has happened,
    | and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
    | ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).
    |
    | It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed to
    | lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1% of
    | free space on the hard drive.
    |
    | Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
    | and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
    | 0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
    |
    | If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
    | screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
    | again, follow these steps:
    |
    | Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
    | installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
    | your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and
    | terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
    | corruption, and then restart your computer.
    |
    | a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with up-
    | to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
    | viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.
    |
    | b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
    | the original, and there were no efforts to change config
    | or play with the wiring.
    |
    | c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
    | appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial splash
    | screen.
    |
    | HELP.

    Dave,

    Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to get
    your advice to work.

    As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
    CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
    the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
    see "boot from network" as an option, which I can probably
    do early next week, take it into work and use that to set
    the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
    be easier to do sooner in time.

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"T Diesen" wrote:
    >| Starting up my IBM T20, using Windows 2000 Professional,
    >| it started doing a check-disk run (claiming that it had
    >| been scheduled. This is the first time this has
    happened,
    >| and I don't remember scheduling it, being as I have not
    >| ever run checkdisk on this system in a year and a half).
    >|
    >| It made it thru steps/stages 1-4 fine, and then seemed
    >| lock up after spending 20 minutes checking the first 1%
    of
    >| free space on the hard drive.
    >|
    >| Trying to boot the system now results in a blue screen,
    >| and a message: STOP 0x0000007B(0x8185F030, 0xC0000102,
    >| 0x000000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
    >|
    >| If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error
    >| screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears
    >| again, follow these steps:
    >|
    >| Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-
    >| installed hard drives or hard-drive controllers. Check
    >| your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured
    and
    >| terminated. Run CHECKDSK /f to check for hard drive
    >| corruption, and then restart your computer.
    >|
    >| a) running the most recent version of Norton AV, with
    up-
    >| to-date Virus definitions this morning did not find any
    >| viruses, and this was the first bootup after that check.
    >|
    >| b) There are no new hard drives or controllers. This is
    >| the original, and there were no efforts to change config
    >| or play with the wiring.
    >|
    >| c) there is no way to run checkdsk, as the blue screen
    >| appears as soon as the OS changes from the initial
    splash
    >| screen.
    >|
    >| HELP.
    >

    >.

    Sounds like you're still not booting from the CD-Rom at this point. Possibly
    look for the key stroke at POST to start from the CD-Rom drive or check the
    mobo manual for instructions.

    --

    "T Diesen" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to get
    | your advice to work.
    |
    | As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
    | CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
    | the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
    | see "boot from network" as an option, which I can probably
    | do early next week, take it into work and use that to set
    | the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
    | be easier to do sooner in time.

    Thank you, I appreciate the help and suggestions.

    Will keep trying. They truly are wonderful toys.. right
    up to the point where they become glorified
    paperweights. :D

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"T Diesen" wrote:
    >| Dave,
    >|
    >| Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to
    get
    >| your advice to work.
    >|
    >| As the t20 I have does not have a floppy disk, I set the
    >| CD-ROM drive as the boot-from disk. I am still getting
    >| the message initially mentioned. Any suggestions (I
    >| see "boot from network" as an option, which I can
    probably
    >| do early next week, take it into work and use that to
    set
    >| the process in motion). I was just hoping that it would
    >| be easier to do sooner in time.
    >

    >.

Stop Error Hard Drives Windows