No Post for me on PB5 Deluxe - Memory or Board Problem?

CheddahYetti

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Hello. I am having a fun time getting my new system to work. On pressing power button, processor and case fan start up and work, but screen stays blank. I get no beeping. I know the speaker works because i get the correct error response (the beep codes) if I boot up with no memory installed. Both the 24 and 8 pin power connectors are hooked up correctly.

I'm at wits end. I've tried taking the motherboard out of the case and put it on a wooden table to make sure it wasnt a grounding short. All components are brand new, and much better than the old junk I've been using so I don't have anything I can swap out to try to limit down what is wrong.

Here's what I have in the system (when stripped down):

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
P5B Deluxe
Antec Smart Power 2.0 SP-500 500W Power Supply
COSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
GeForce 7600GT (no external power needed)

Is this likely the memory or the motherboard? Is there any cheapish memory I could go pick up at a Best Buy/Circuit City/Comp USA place that I could use to test? If I don't figure this out soon it's gonna stay in my head and possess me - and that's not cool.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bryan

CheddahYetti

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
The powersupply has both a 2x2 and a 4x2 plug for powering the processor. The motherboard has a 4x2 connector slot, with 2 of the slots covered with a removable plug. I took out the plug, and have been running it as 4x2.

I have a hard time imagining that's the problem..but could it be? I feel like I've tried so many different solutions that I'm running out of ideas.

If you get beep codes with no memory installed but no beep codes with it installed, it kind of sounds like the memory is not passing the RAM test and is hanging the system. I would suggest trying one stick at a time. If you can boot and get into BIOS, manually set the RAM voltage to the specs for that RAM or try to borrow a cheap stick of RAM and see if you can boot with that.

Also, I've noticed quite a few threads concerning early versions of Antec SmartPower PSU's having trouble with motherboards that have delayed powered-on, such as the P5B's. Related thread.
Since you are getting beeps, however, I would suspect that the PSU is working but the RAM is the first on the list to check out.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
The powersupply has both a 2x2 and a 4x2 plug for powering the processor. The motherboard has a 4x2 connector slot, with 2 of the slots covered with a removable plug. I took out the plug, and have been running it as 4x2.

You are winding us up, right :?

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007

You are winding us up, right :?

Why would this be a wind up? You can run in either configuration afaik.

I would suggest that the problem is with the board and not with the memory (lots of similar reports with the P5B dlx). When you boot and the screen is blank try pressing the reset button - this will bring my machine into post sometimes. If that don't work try switching off the power at the PSU, leave for a few minutes then try again. If that still don't work RMA and get a new board.

The 8-pins he's referring to is the CPU power connector. Most motherboards (and PSU's)have a 2x2 (4-pin) connection. The P5B-Dlx has a 4x2 (8-pin) connection but half of it comes from the factory with a cap on 4 of the pins so you can use a 4-pin CPU power connector if need be. I have an Enermax Liberty PSU which has the 8-pin plug so I use all 8 pins on the P5B-Dlx.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, and the power connectors are 1 x 24pin and 1 x 4 pin(near CPU), so I had assumed that other boards in the same family would have a similar setup.

Thanks for clarifying that for me rwpritchett :)

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
When I built mine. I had to put some other ram in to get it to get it to boot (I used some 533 ram out of the kids Dell) and update the BIOS and then add my other memory.The motherboard has memory issues that is fixed with the BIOS updates. I think it has to do with the 1.8 Volt memory deal. Because my PQI memory is 2.0 Volt.

ASUS P5B-Deluxe/WiFi
E6600@3.15
4X 1 GIG PQI Turbo Ram 667@700
X1900 AIW
3X 320G Seagate 7200.10 RAID0