turns on, but no display?!? help please :(

infamousloL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Hey all, well today I took off my cooler& processor and went to clean it with the rubbing alcohol, when I was finished I put them back in.
After, my computer doesn't seem to work... I can boot it up, lights/fans/HDs are on but nothing from the display. I know my videocard&monitor are working, tried it another computer.
I put the processor back in it's right direction, the pointy corner to the side without the pin, and I tried taking the CMOS battery away, but nothing.

Could it be my motherboard? or the motherboard's PCi-E slot? Oh one more thing, Sometimes when I turn my computer on.. it turns on for 3-5? seconds then shuts off for 1-3 but turns back again.. does anyone know the cause of this?

Please help, a little scared right now( don't want to lose my files, some really important ones) :(

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hey all, well today I took off my cooler& processor and went to clean it with the rubbing alcohol, when I was finished I put them back in.
After, my computer doesn't seem to work... I can boot it up, lights/fans/HDs are on but nothing from the display. I know my videocard&monitor are working, tried it another computer.
I put the processor back in it's right direction, the pointy corner to the side without the pin, and I tried taking the CMOS battery away, but nothing.

Could it be my motherboard? or the motherboard's PCi-E slot? Oh one more thing, Sometimes when I turn my computer on.. it turns on for 3-5? seconds then shuts off for 1-3 but turns back again.. does anyone know the cause of this?

Please help, a little scared right now( don't want to lose my files, some really important ones) :(

Why do I get the feeling you've got a Gigabyte mobo???

I had a similar prob with a former mobo. I'd have to hold the start button in for about 5 seconds when I clicked the PS on. It would start for about 3-4 seconds, then shut off. After that, it ran fine....until the next time I had to unplug the PS......then had to use the same routine again. :roll:

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
The screen is blank.. what color is monitor light (green or amber)?

Did you replace the thermal compound?
Did you reconnect the CPU fan?
Did you disconnect any power cables (ie. CPU power)?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Why do I get the feeling you've got a Gigabyte mobo???

I had a similar prob with a former mobo. I'd have to hold the start button in for about 5 seconds when I clicked the PS on. It would start for about 3-4 seconds, then shut off. After that, it ran fine....until the next time I had to unplug the PS......then had to use the same routine again. :roll:

when I had my winchester 3000+ and with my current a8n-E
when I oced too high, it would lock and dont turn on, doing that of unplugging the psu worked to fix that.. o_O

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Did you apply a LITTLE fresh paste, spread very thinly between heatsink and processor?
Have you put the 2x2 power connector back on the mobo?

TRENDING THREADS