trouble formatting drive

I'am installing w2k on a older win ME box. using the
recovery console i'am trying to format the drive. i type
in the format command..get the typical "all data will be
lost" proceed? y/n...i type in y, hit enter...and nothing
happens! it just goes back to the command prompt(c:\winnt>)
any ideas why its not responding to the format command??
i've also tried format c: /q and format c: /fs:ntfs....
thank you in advance for your ideas,
Monroe
6 answers Last reply
More about trouble formatting drive

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    monroe wrote:
    > I'am installing w2k on a older win ME box. using the
    > recovery console i'am trying to format the drive. i type
    > in the format command..get the typical "all data will be
    > lost" proceed? y/n...i type in y, hit enter...and nothing
    > happens! it just goes back to the command prompt(c:\winnt>)
    > any ideas why its not responding to the format command??
    > i've also tried format c: /q and format c: /fs:ntfs....
    > thank you in advance for your ideas,
    > Monroe

    Why are you using the recovery console, rather than just booting from the
    Win2k CD, choosing a new install, deleting/recreating the partition,
    formatting (NTFS, ideally), and doing a clean install?

    between which OS to start....so I thought I was running
    dual OS....so I decieded to format the drive and start
    fresh.

    BTW I've reloaded w2k again...I still get the msg on start-
    up which windows to start, w2k or windows ?????

    Probably because you did a quick format. The second startup option doesn't
    work does it? You'll need to delete the options you want removed from the
    boot.ini, it's a system, hidden file in the root of the system partition. So
    you'll need to show-all-files in Explorer. Explorer|Tools|Folder
    Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files and folders" *and*
    also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system files". You should
    end up with something like this (below). The timeout value is not functional
    when there is only one startup choice.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    --

    "monroe" wrote:

> [...]

    Thank You! Problem solved!
    Monroe

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"monroe" wrote:

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    --

    "monroe" wrote:
    | Thank You! Problem solved!
    | Monroe

Format Formatting Command Prompt Windows