Sign in with
Your question

What processors are compatible with D865PERL?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2007 8:28:47 PM

My rig is limited to 768Mb RAM so I am replacing the motherboard (and as little else as I can). I have purchased a D865PERL. It would not POST. I returned it and the seller tested it and it works fine. He suggests a processor incompatibility.

Below is the cpuid output for my processor. It is a P4 2.8GHz (without HT).

So where can I find information on EXACTLY which processors are compatible with the D865PERL? I have rummaged through the Intel information and all I can find is that it works with P4's with and without HT, as well as others. I can find no other specifics besides an Intel compatibility table that says a P4 2.8GHz should work.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_proc.htm

Unless I can find something that says my specific processor won't work, I don't know how to ensure my selection of another processor would be a good one, or have the same problem.

Oh and, what is the minimum hardware I need to connect to get it to POST? Should it POST with just power, Gfx card, and processor? Does it need RAM to POST? thanks!

======================================

Processors Map
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 1

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA (platform ID = 2h)
CPUID F.2.7
Extended CPUID F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping C1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2799.9 MHz (21.0 x 133.3 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 533.3 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no
March 4, 2007 9:01:37 PM

First, what processor is the seller using to test the board.
Second, what memory is the seller using and yes you need ram to post
Third, the bios may need to be upgraded to support the processor that you want to use.
March 4, 2007 9:02:23 PM

The link you posted does show EXACTLY which processors are compatible.

According to the chart your processor is supported and by all bios revisions so that really shouldn't be the problem.

You definitely need ram to post though.

Are you sure the board works? did you see the seller test it or are you just taking his word for it? Maybe you could ask him to install it for you for a few dollars and see if he can get it to work?

I'm not really sure what else could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like its your processor unless you have a broken/missing pin thats keeping it from working.
March 5, 2007 5:36:39 AM

Quote:
The link you posted does show EXACTLY which processors are compatible.

According to the chart your processor is supported and by all bios revisions so that really shouldn't be the problem.

You definitely need ram to post though.

Are you sure the board works? did you see the seller test it or are you just taking his word for it? Maybe you could ask him to install it for you for a few dollars and see if he can get it to work?

I'm not really sure what else could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like its your processor unless you have a broken/missing pin thats keeping it from working.
Not true...It's supported by all board revs. but only supported from BIOS v. P04 or greater. If it's a new board that's been sitting on a shelf for years, then it might be using the original BIOS still. You might also try a BIOS reset, with the "clear CMOS" jumper. GL :) 
Related resources
!