DC in test enviroment

I am creating a test enviroment to prepare for a move to 2003 Server. We are
currently in a Windows 2000 Server/AD enviroment.
My thought was to add a server to the active domain and promote to a DC.
After AD replication - remove the server and place in my test enviroment so
that I have a DC that mimics my current enviroment.
I know I will need to manually remove the server from my active enviroment
(metadata cleanup, etc.)
Will I need to assign FSMO roles to the DC now that it is in the test
enviroment?
What potential issues would I have?
Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

You would need to seize the FSMO roles using ntdsutil for AD to run properly
and, I imagine, for the WS2003 upgrade to happen.

Just, whatever you do, make sure that box is wiped absolutely clean before
it goes anywhere near your production network again!

Oli

"rdw24" <rdw24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a test enviroment to prepare for a move to 2003 Server. We
>are
> currently in a Windows 2000 Server/AD enviroment.
> My thought was to add a server to the active domain and promote to a DC.
> After AD replication - remove the server and place in my test enviroment
> so
> that I have a DC that mimics my current enviroment.
> I know I will need to manually remove the server from my active enviroment
> (metadata cleanup, etc.)
> Will I need to assign FSMO roles to the DC now that it is in the test
> enviroment?
> What potential issues would I have?
> Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks

Thanks Oli !!
Ron