WINDOWS 2000

When turning on the computer it loads up Windows until it
geys to opening the Desktop but it stops and just leaves a
completely blank screen.

I go control-alt-delete and using Task Manager I restart
the computer and it goes through the start up sequence and
opens the desktop properly.

How do I get it to open properly from the start up?

dl

Tried boot logging option, from the safe mode option screen, to identify
problem device?

"Chilla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When turning on the computer it loads up Windows until it
> geys to opening the Desktop but it stops and just leaves a
> completely blank screen.
>
> I go control-alt-delete and using Task Manager I restart
> the computer and it goes through the start up sequence and
> opens the desktop properly.
>
> How do I get it to open properly from the start up?

Chilla <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| When turning on the computer it loads up Windows until it
| geys to opening the Desktop but it stops and just leaves a
| completely blank screen.
|
| I go control-alt-delete and using Task Manager I restart
| the computer and it goes through the start up sequence and
| opens the desktop properly.
|
| How do I get it to open properly from the start up?

Chilla,
You're not alone with this one !
Seen it several times, but never really known how to fix it good and proper.
It does seem to be associated with the loading of virtual device drivers
while the 'Starting Windows' progress bar is going. It also seems to be
dependant on the hardware: some machines never show it, some show it from
first build and some after a change of hardware.
You didn't mention if it is a new machine build, or of it used to work but
now doesnt. If the latter case, then the question has to be: what has
changed just before the problem started ? This seems to occur most often
with hardware which was made after Windows 2000 was written.
Fixing this seems to be a question of using the 'F8' boot menu to give a
startup log and then seeing from the log where the problem occurred (look at
the last entry in the log). From there you can use the 'Recovery Console' to
disable the errant load module and try again.
Another possibility to try is to install a copy of Windows 2000 with the
latest Service Pack 'slipstreamed' into it - this effectively gives you a
later version of Windows 2000.
The Microsoft Knowledge Base doesn't seem to be too helpful with this -
there's a good opportunity for somebody to come up with a definitive
solution. Anyine ?
Kevin.