Installing Win2k and Getting Error

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 2, 2004 8:47:31 PM

I use boot disks, setup loads, I choose the formatted
partition to install on, then for a split second it looks
like it's going to start copy files for the actual setup.

then Bam! I get an error that says something about
sp4.cab being corrupted or something. so.....sp4.cab The
only thing I know sp4 to mean is service pack 4.but I
don't know.

Now, the strange thing is that this has happened twice! .
with two different disks. After the first time the error
occurred, I got another cd and tried that.

Since it happens on both disks, I'm thinking that it
could somehow be the pc and not the disk, though I have
no idea how that could be.

If anyone can tell me what's going on, or give me a link
to a win2k disk they know works, I'd be very appreciative.

PS. SOmeoe suggested to me that I am using "the original
disks with a sp4 slipstreamed install" and that's why
it's not working. I haven't been able to follow up with
that yet, though.

More about : installing win2k error

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 11:00:16 PM

John wrote:
> I use boot disks, setup loads, I choose the formatted
> partition to install on, then for a split second it looks
> like it's going to start copy files for the actual setup.
>
> then Bam! I get an error that says something about
> sp4.cab being corrupted or something. so.....sp4.cab The
> only thing I know sp4 to mean is service pack 4.but I
> don't know.
>
> Now, the strange thing is that this has happened twice! .
> with two different disks. After the first time the error
> occurred, I got another cd and tried that.
>
> Since it happens on both disks, I'm thinking that it
> could somehow be the pc and not the disk, though I have
> no idea how that could be.
>
> If anyone can tell me what's going on, or give me a link
> to a win2k disk they know works, I'd be very appreciative.
>
> PS. SOmeoe suggested to me that I am using "the original
> disks with a sp4 slipstreamed install" and that's why
> it's not working. I haven't been able to follow up with
> that yet, though.

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On much
less frequent occasions, a bad CD or defective CD drive can also cause
this.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: