Installing Win2k and Getting Error

I use boot disks, setup loads, I choose the formatted
partition to install on, then for a split second it looks
like it's going to start copy files for the actual setup.

then Bam! I get an error that says something about
sp4.cab being corrupted or something. so.....sp4.cab The
only thing I know sp4 to mean is service pack 4.but I
don't know.

Now, the strange thing is that this has happened twice! .
with two different disks. After the first time the error
occurred, I got another cd and tried that.

Since it happens on both disks, I'm thinking that it
could somehow be the pc and not the disk, though I have
no idea how that could be.

If anyone can tell me what's going on, or give me a link
to a win2k disk they know works, I'd be very appreciative.

PS. SOmeoe suggested to me that I am using "the original
disks with a sp4 slipstreamed install" and that's why
it's not working. I haven't been able to follow up with
that yet, though.
1 answer Last reply
More about installing win2k error

    John wrote:
    > I use boot disks, setup loads, I choose the formatted
    > partition to install on, then for a split second it looks
    > like it's going to start copy files for the actual setup.
    >
    > then Bam! I get an error that says something about
    > sp4.cab being corrupted or something. so.....sp4.cab The
    > only thing I know sp4 to mean is service pack 4.but I
    > don't know.
    >
    > Now, the strange thing is that this has happened twice! .
    > with two different disks. After the first time the error
    > occurred, I got another cd and tried that.
    >
    > Since it happens on both disks, I'm thinking that it
    > could somehow be the pc and not the disk, though I have
    > no idea how that could be.
    >
    > If anyone can tell me what's going on, or give me a link
    > to a win2k disk they know works, I'd be very appreciative.
    >
    > PS. SOmeoe suggested to me that I am using "the original
    > disks with a sp4 slipstreamed install" and that's why
    > it's not working. I haven't been able to follow up with
    > that yet, though.

    Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
    most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
    likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On much
    less frequent occasions, a bad CD or defective CD drive can also cause
    this.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: