any knowledgeable network person...

G

Ok, so basically I am looking for anybody that is nopt an asinine network support person from roadrunner cable. I am having a problem. I run two computers on a hub and then te hub runs to a cable modem and connects to the internet. Everything was fine for the first week that I had it, then my friend got a virus on his computer and so he decided to reinstall windows over again. So we installed that and all the drivers for things. Now we have a new problem... Every time he boots up his computer it will work for about 2 minutes or maybe less then it will stop working(I am talking about the internet connection here.) The other computer connected to the same hub and cable modem has a flawless connection and hasnt stopped working. I have figured out a way to make it start working for a few seconds or minutes more... I run winifcpg and reset and renew the IP address and everything works again for a little bit and I would have to do that again to get it to work again. I am trying to figure out what is wrong so I can fix it well. If you have any ideas as to what the problem might be, feel free to let me know. I have tried reinstalling windows several times and it is the same everytime... could it be the network card? and if so, why can it work everytime I refresh the IP... please help me

G

does your cable modem provider suply you with 2 IP addresses to use for the internet connection?
if not, that's the problem. Only one valid IP address, the virus probably had nothing to do with it.

G

We have bought two IP addresses. It worked for a full week then I had to reinstall windows and now it only works intermitently...

G

You might want to make sure the line speed in the properties for your nic is the right one.
Some modems (Motorola SurfBoard 3100 for instance) only support TP-HalfDuplex.
Your ISP might also only use half duplex, which your card should detect but might not.

RoadRunner is full-duplex compatible.