Boss changes rolled back

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2005 8:07:53 PM

Got home and fired up CoH, and started receiving a download. Looks
like the boss changes are being rolled back:
http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/updates.html
Should make some of the badges I need easier to get.

More about : boss rolled back

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:40:00 PM

On 1 Feb 2005 17:07:53 -0800, "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Got home and fired up CoH, and started receiving a download. Looks
>like the boss changes are being rolled back:
>http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/updates.html
>Should make some of the badges I need easier to get.

Oh, thank god. :p  This was, I hear, hell on the less..."sturdy"
builds. IE, non-scrappers. :p  This is another good thing that went in:

>Experience bonus for groups of 4 or more has been increased.

Hopefully when I return I'll have missed the worst of the shakeups. ;)

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:18:58 AM

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Got home and fired up CoH, and started receiving a download. Looks
> like the boss changes are being rolled back:
> http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/updates.html
> Should make some of the badges I need easier to get.

Boss rollback is good.

They also changed Burn back to having a fear component - villains run away
from it. DARN! Firing Burn and having it beat up every foe in range,
without chasing them away, was lots of fun.

Although I fired it today a couple of times and didn't notice any great
chasing-away...

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:18:58 -0000, Shenanigunner
<nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

>They also changed Burn back to having a fear component - villains run away
>from it. DARN! Firing Burn and having it beat up every foe in range,
>without chasing them away, was lots of fun.

Herr, yeah, there it is:

>Fixed a problem in Burn and Ignite that was causing villains to not be afraid
>of the fire. Villain behavior to Burn and Ignight should, once again, work as
>it used to work.

Funny, the fear component was put in before I3 and taken OUT
intentionally because of how badly it screwed fire tankers...

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:19:40 AM

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

>>Experience bonus for groups of 4 or more has been increased.
>
> Hopefully when I return I'll have missed the worst of the
> shakeups. ;)

No wonder I picked up 3 bubs closer to 39 tonight.........

Nice.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:13:13 PM

> Funny, the fear component was put in before I3 and taken OUT
> intentionally because of how badly it screwed fire tankers...

I think the difference is that when it was first put in, you could not
provoke them back into the flames. I don't have a flame tanker though, so
maybe someone can verify that you can now provoke mobs back into the burn
radius?

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

The Soliphist <fatmanlittleboy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Funny, the fear component was put in before I3 and taken OUT
>> intentionally because of how badly it screwed fire tankers...

> I think the difference is that when it was first put in, you could not
> provoke them back into the flames. I don't have a flame tanker though,
> so maybe someone can verify that you can now provoke mobs back into
> the burn radius?

When I first took Burn, about the middle of Ish2, it would make all foes
except those being provoked by direct aggro run like hell and usually
fail to come back. Some would move in again, but rarely.

When Ish3 went live, I discovered that no foes would run - they would
just stand there and toast. Lovely!

Supposedly, now, the fear/runaway component is back, but you couldn't
tell it by me. I've fired Burn in several situations since the new
download and don't see any more propensity for foes to run than before.

I don't have taunt or provoke to test it, but it seems unnecessary. I'm
not exactly sure what the Devs have done, here...

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:43:17 PM

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in

> Supposedly, now, the fear/runaway component is back, but you couldn't
> tell it by me. I've fired Burn in several situations since the new
> download and don't see any more propensity for foes to run than before.
>
> I don't have taunt or provoke to test it, but it seems unnecessary. I'm
> not exactly sure what the Devs have done, here...

All tanker attacks (once you hit L5, IIRC) automatically generate hate and
increase the aggro that you are receiving. The tanker secondary Taunt has
been changed from a single target to an AoE effect. And the Provoke (from
the Presence power pool) has been changed to a Single Target attack. They
might have changed the names as well (switched them around), but I don't
recall exactly. Also, I think that any power pool attack (air superiority,
drop kick, etc) that is used by a tanker automatically generates hate as
well. (Much like all scrapper attacks have a chance for a critical attack)

As for the fear changes, I think (and I may be mistaken), that they changed
the way that fear was working. It used to be that they would run. Now they
changed it so that they would cower in fear. If attacked, they would attack
back, but then cower in fear again.

(Note, I don't have a tanker, so can't confirm this)

I think the problem was that the mobs were running from the fire like they
would Rain of Fire or something like that (to escape the damage) and not
reacting to the fear component.

--
Marcel
Anonymous

In article <Xns95F15C62D5C5Cnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>, Shenanigunner wrote:
> The Soliphist <fatmanlittleboy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Funny, the fear component was put in before I3 and taken OUT
>>> intentionally because of how badly it screwed fire tankers...
>
>> I think the difference is that when it was first put in, you could not
>> provoke them back into the flames. I don't have a flame tanker though,
>> so maybe someone can verify that you can now provoke mobs back into
>> the burn radius?
>
> When I first took Burn, about the middle of Ish2, it would make
> all foes except those being provoked by direct aggro run like
> hell and usually fail to come back. Some would move in again,
> but rarely.
>
> When Ish3 went live, I discovered that no foes would run - they
> would just stand there and toast. Lovely!
>
> Supposedly, now, the fear/runaway component is back, but you
> couldn't tell it by me. I've fired Burn in several situations
> since the new download and don't see any more propensity for
> foes to run than before.
>
> I don't have taunt or provoke to test it, but it seems
> unnecessary. I'm not exactly sure what the Devs have done,
> here...

It's most likely your punch-voke that's keeping them there, now.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> I don't have taunt or provoke to test it, but it seems
>> unnecessary. I'm not exactly sure what the Devs have done,
>> here...

> It's most likely your punch-voke that's keeping them there, now.

Certainly, for the ones I'm punching... but I still get several relative
lowbies just stand arounding and burning. It's possible that if I were
seeing blue/white minions, they'd run, but Burn has always had less
chase-away effect on yellows and up.

It still works fine for me, although I'm finding that the time to fire it
off isn't usually worth the net result - I can get in a couple of punches
and finish off a foe by the time Burn starts burning, and it's only been
useful when I'm swarmed by yellow minions. Oh, and to take out large
quantities of Swarms, too, while I'm punching down a DE Herder or boss.

--
!