iPaq 6315 on Cingular

Last response: in Network Providers
December 22, 2004 7:15:49 PM

At work, we've been demoing the iPaq 6315 from TMO. Although I've been
somewhat satisfied with the device, TMO's network coverage isn't very
good, at least not in the NYC/Northern/Northwestern NJ area.

I've been an AT&T (formerly Cell One) customer for about ten years. I
currently have the Sony Ericsson t62u, and I've learned to deal with
all its quirks. Having TDMA & analog when needed is very handy. My One
Rate plan has long since expired.

So, here's my plan. Before I go to a Cingular sales drone and try to
explain it all, I was wondering if this is even possible..

- Sign a new contract with a new GAIT voice plan and unlimited data
plan
- Go out and buy an unlocked iPaq 6315
- Freely swap the SIM from my t62u into my 6315. I'll usually use the
6315, but I'll have the ability to use my t62u whenever I want --
i.e., when I'm in a TDMA-only area.

So, what's wrong with my idea? I know I'm missing something. What
'special' things do I need to do on the 6315 to make it work in this
scenario?

More about : ipaq 6315 cingular

December 22, 2004 7:15:50 PM

So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
cingular SIM card.

You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.

Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:10:10 PM

HI,

I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims from
cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up and
running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k sims
for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.

Best Regards,

Estel J Hines
ejhines@comcast.net
"Ted Klugman" <tedklugman@yahoo.no.spam.com> wrote in message
> At work, we've been demoing the iPaq 6315 from TMO. Although I've been
> somewhat satisfied with the device, TMO's network coverage isn't very
> good, at least not in the NYC/Northern/Northwestern NJ area.
>
> I've been an AT&T (formerly Cell One) customer for about ten years. I
> currently have the Sony Ericsson t62u, and I've learned to deal with
> all its quirks. Having TDMA & analog when needed is very handy. My One
> Rate plan has long since expired.
>
> So, here's my plan. Before I go to a Cingular sales drone and try to
> explain it all, I was wondering if this is even possible..
>
> - Sign a new contract with a new GAIT voice plan and unlimited data
> plan
> - Go out and buy an unlocked iPaq 6315
> - Freely swap the SIM from my t62u into my 6315. I'll usually use the
> 6315, but I'll have the ability to use my t62u whenever I want --
> i.e., when I'm in a TDMA-only area.
>
> So, what's wrong with my idea? I know I'm missing something. What
> 'special' things do I need to do on the 6315 to make it work in this
> scenario?
December 23, 2004 12:34:41 AM

They tried to find the 32k sim at the Cingular store, and even called
around, but could not find any within the Cingular store chain.

The way we discovered that the 32k Sim worked, was, after the 64k Sims
failed, we tried the Sim from the Store Clerks cell phone, it worked, and we
noticed that it was a 32k Sim, then we tried another clerks Sim, it worked
and was also 32k.

They would have put one in free if they had one. When I went to Best Buy, I
found they had only the 32k Sims, and none of the 64k Sims, so it was an
easy choice for me.

It isn't clear when the New Manufacturers 64k Sims will get out into the
distribution channels, and I wasn't willing to perhaps wait, for 1 or 2
months on them.

Best Regards,
Estel J Hines
"Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
> from cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy,
> bought a Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
> took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up and
> running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
> and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
> but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k
> sims for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other
> then GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
> get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Estel J Hines
> ejhines@comcast.net
> "Ted Klugman" <tedklugman@yahoo.no.spam.com> wrote in message
>> At work, we've been demoing the iPaq 6315 from TMO. Although I've been
>> somewhat satisfied with the device, TMO's network coverage isn't very
>> good, at least not in the NYC/Northern/Northwestern NJ area.
>>
>> I've been an AT&T (formerly Cell One) customer for about ten years. I
>> currently have the Sony Ericsson t62u, and I've learned to deal with
>> all its quirks. Having TDMA & analog when needed is very handy. My One
>> Rate plan has long since expired.
>>
>> So, here's my plan. Before I go to a Cingular sales drone and try to
>> explain it all, I was wondering if this is even possible..
>>
>> - Sign a new contract with a new GAIT voice plan and unlimited data
>> plan
>> - Go out and buy an unlocked iPaq 6315
>> - Freely swap the SIM from my t62u into my 6315. I'll usually use the
>> 6315, but I'll have the ability to use my t62u whenever I want --
>> i.e., when I'm in a TDMA-only area.
>>
>> So, what's wrong with my idea? I know I'm missing something. What
>> 'special' things do I need to do on the 6315 to make it work in this
>> scenario?

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:38:52 AM

In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
"Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims from
> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),

Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

> took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up and
> running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
> and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
> but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k sims
> for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
> GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
> get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.
>
> Best Regards,
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:38:53 AM

> In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
>> from
>> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
>> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
>
> Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

Just bought one on Ebay for 9.99, postage paid.

>> took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up
>> and
>> running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
>> and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
>> but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k
>> sims
>> for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
>> GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
>> get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.
>>
>> Best Regards,
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:38:53 AM

> In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
>> from
>> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
>> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
>
> Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

I just bought a Motorola V551 while signing up with Cingular. I asked for a
64k SIM. They installed one but warned me that they had had a little
trouble with some of them. They also told me that if I had trouble, to
bring it back and they would install a 32k SIM. They charged $0.00 for the
64k SIM. Yes, nothing. I made sure to check before I left the store,
expecting to pitch a fit.

Charles Perry P.E.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:38:54 AM

Hi guys,

Before going to Best Buy and buying the 32k sim, and while still at the
Cingular store, they tried 3 diff. 64k sims, and none of them worked. YOu
must also make sure that the Sim you get, is for your area, Best buy had
them for my area, so that helped a lot. The Cingular Store installed it of
course, at no charge. Something to do with the first 5 numbers being 89014
as required for my location in Indiana.

Best Regards,
Estel J Hines
ejhines@comcast.net
"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
>> "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
>>> from
>>> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought
>>> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
>>
>> Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.
>
> Just bought one on Ebay for 9.99, postage paid.
>

>>> took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up
>>> and
>>> running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a
>>> test,
>>> and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
>>> but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k
>>> sims
>>> for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
>>> GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
>>> get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 4:54:10 AM

In article <32ul72F3p6q4jU1@individual.net>,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> > "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> HI,
> >>
> >> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
> >> from
> >> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
> >> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
> >
> > Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.
> >

> I just bought a Motorola V551 while signing up with Cingular. I asked for a
> 64k SIM. They installed one but warned me that they had had a little
> trouble with some of them. They also told me that if I had trouble, to
> bring it back and they would install a 32k SIM. They charged $0.00 for the
> 64k SIM. Yes, nothing. I made sure to check before I left the store,
> expecting to pitch a fit.

Free with new phone, yes. $20 for a phone over 30 days old.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:27:40 PM

Marius wrote:
> So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
> cingular SIM card.
>
> You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
>
> Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
> the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.

Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:42:03 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
wrote:

>Marius wrote:
>> So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
>> cingular SIM card.
>>
>> You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
>>
>> Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
>> the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
>>
>Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.

Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
job of helping out the customer before me.

Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 11:57:41 PM

In <2nvos0h0grhu33jkfuth77ejh2cjchghne@4ax.com> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:42:03
-0500, Ted Klugman <tedklugman@yahoo.no.spam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Marius wrote:
>>> So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
>>> cingular SIM card.
>>>
>>> You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
>>>
>>> Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
>>> the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
>>>
>>Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
>
>Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
>Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
>saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
>job of helping out the customer before me.
>
>Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(

And it doesn't support EDGE.

December 25, 2004 12:16:50 AM

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:57:41 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
>
>And it doesn't support EDGE.

What PocketPC device does?
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 7:23:33 PM

Ted Klugman wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Marius wrote:
>>
>>>So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
>>>cingular SIM card.
>>>
>>>You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
>>>
>>>Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
>>>the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
>>>

>>Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
>

> Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
> Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
> saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
> job of helping out the customer before me.
>
> Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
Ted

Go to Cingular.com and you can order the SX66 today. I ordered mine last
Sunday and received on Tuesday. Great device. Does not support EDGE, but
with wifi and GPRS I am rather pleased. The pullput keyboard is
pretty nice as well
!