iPaq 6315 on Cingular

At work, we've been demoing the iPaq 6315 from TMO. Although I've been
somewhat satisfied with the device, TMO's network coverage isn't very
good, at least not in the NYC/Northern/Northwestern NJ area.

I've been an AT&T (formerly Cell One) customer for about ten years. I
currently have the Sony Ericsson t62u, and I've learned to deal with
all its quirks. Having TDMA & analog when needed is very handy. My One
Rate plan has long since expired.

So, here's my plan. Before I go to a Cingular sales drone and try to
explain it all, I was wondering if this is even possible..

- Sign a new contract with a new GAIT voice plan and unlimited data
plan
- Go out and buy an unlocked iPaq 6315
- Freely swap the SIM from my t62u into my 6315. I'll usually use the
6315, but I'll have the ability to use my t62u whenever I want --
i.e., when I'm in a TDMA-only area.

So, what's wrong with my idea? I know I'm missing something. What
'special' things do I need to do on the 6315 to make it work in this
scenario?
13 answers Last reply
More about ipaq 6315 cingular

    So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
    cingular SIM card.

    You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.

    Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
    the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.

    HI,

    I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims from
    cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
    Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
    took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up and
    running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
    and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
    but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k sims
    for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
    GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
    get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.

    Best Regards,

    Estel J Hines
    ejhines@comcast.net
    "Ted Klugman" <tedklugman@yahoo.no.spam.com> wrote in message
    > At work, we've been demoing the iPaq 6315 from TMO. Although I've been
    > somewhat satisfied with the device, TMO's network coverage isn't very
    > good, at least not in the NYC/Northern/Northwestern NJ area.
    >
    > I've been an AT&T (formerly Cell One) customer for about ten years. I
    > currently have the Sony Ericsson t62u, and I've learned to deal with
    > all its quirks. Having TDMA & analog when needed is very handy. My One
    > Rate plan has long since expired.
    >
    > So, here's my plan. Before I go to a Cingular sales drone and try to
    > explain it all, I was wondering if this is even possible..
    >
    > - Sign a new contract with a new GAIT voice plan and unlimited data
    > plan
    > - Go out and buy an unlocked iPaq 6315
    > - Freely swap the SIM from my t62u into my 6315. I'll usually use the
    > 6315, but I'll have the ability to use my t62u whenever I want --
    > i.e., when I'm in a TDMA-only area.
    >
    > So, what's wrong with my idea? I know I'm missing something. What
    > 'special' things do I need to do on the 6315 to make it work in this
    > scenario?

    They tried to find the 32k sim at the Cingular store, and even called
    around, but could not find any within the Cingular store chain.

    The way we discovered that the 32k Sim worked, was, after the 64k Sims
    failed, we tried the Sim from the Store Clerks cell phone, it worked, and we
    noticed that it was a 32k Sim, then we tried another clerks Sim, it worked
    and was also 32k.

    They would have put one in free if they had one. When I went to Best Buy, I
    found they had only the 32k Sims, and none of the 64k Sims, so it was an
    easy choice for me.

    It isn't clear when the New Manufacturers 64k Sims will get out into the
    distribution channels, and I wasn't willing to perhaps wait, for 1 or 2
    months on them.

    Best Regards,
    Estel J Hines

    In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
    "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:

    > HI,
    >
    > I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims from
    > cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
    > Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),

    Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

    > In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
    > "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> HI,
    >>
    >> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
    >> from
    >> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
    >> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
    >
    > Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

    Just bought one on Ebay for 9.99, postage paid.

    >> took it back to Cingular, they programmed it, and no problem, I was up
    >> and
    >> running using my outlook contacts, and everything, I bought it as a test,
    >> and will be putting it on ebay shortly,
    >> but never fear, it will work fine, you just have to get one of the 32k
    >> sims
    >> for it. (Cingular has contracted with another manufacturing other then
    >> GemStar with GemPlus, and when those 64k sims
    >> get out in the pipeline, they will also be compatible.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,

    > In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
    > "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> HI,
    >>
    >> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
    >> from
    >> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
    >> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
    >
    > Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.

    I just bought a Motorola V551 while signing up with Cingular. I asked for a
    64k SIM. They installed one but warned me that they had had a little
    trouble with some of them. They also told me that if I had trouble, to
    bring it back and they would install a 32k SIM. They charged $0.00 for the
    64k SIM. Yes, nothing. I made sure to check before I left the store,
    expecting to pitch a fit.

    Charles Perry P.E.

    Hi guys,

    Before going to Best Buy and buying the 32k sim, and while still at the
    Cingular store, they tried 3 diff. 64k sims, and none of them worked. YOu
    must also make sure that the Sim you get, is for your area, Best buy had
    them for my area, so that helped a lot. The Cingular Store installed it of
    course, at no charge. Something to do with the first 5 numbers being 89014
    as required for my location in Indiana.

    Best Regards,
    Estel J Hines
    ejhines@comcast.net

    In article <32ul72F3p6q4jU1@individual.net>,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <2aadnZ7Ec6B6kVfcRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
    > > "Estel J. Hines" <ejhines@comcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> HI,
    > >>
    > >> I bought an unlocked 6315, and found that the currently used (64k)sims
    > >> from
    > >> cingular don't work with it, but no problem, I went to Best Buy, bought a
    > >> Cingular sim (32k) (it cost 29.99),
    > >
    > > Allegedly Cingular will sell one a 64K sim for $20.
    > >

    > I just bought a Motorola V551 while signing up with Cingular. I asked for a
    > 64k SIM. They installed one but warned me that they had had a little
    > trouble with some of them. They also told me that if I had trouble, to
    > bring it back and they would install a 32k SIM. They charged $0.00 for the
    > 64k SIM. Yes, nothing. I made sure to check before I left the store,
    > expecting to pitch a fit.

    Free with new phone, yes. $20 for a phone over 30 days old.

    Marius wrote:
    > So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
    > cingular SIM card.
    >
    > You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
    >
    > Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
    > the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.

    Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >Marius wrote:
    >> So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
    >> cingular SIM card.
    >>
    >> You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
    >>
    >> Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
    >> the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
    >>
    >Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.

    Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
    Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
    saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
    job of helping out the customer before me.

    Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <2nvos0h0grhu33jkfuth77ejh2cjchghne@4ax.com> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:42:03
    -0500, Ted Klugman <tedklugman@yahoo.no.spam.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Marius wrote:
    >>> So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
    >>> cingular SIM card.
    >>>
    >>> You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
    >>>
    >>> Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
    >>> the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
    >>>
    >>Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
    >
    >Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
    >Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
    >saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
    >job of helping out the customer before me.
    >
    >Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(

    And it doesn't support EDGE.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:57:41 GMT, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >>Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
    >
    >And it doesn't support EDGE.

    What PocketPC device does?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Ted Klugman wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:40 -0600, Shrktank <shrktank@charter.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Marius wrote:
    >>
    >>>So you want to go from ATTWS to cnglr? - you will have to get a new
    >>>cingular SIM card.
    >>>
    >>>You will have to get cingular to add you to the correct GAIT/GSM plan.
    >>>
    >>>Your ATTWS GSM handset will need to be unlocked before doing all this.
    >>>the iPAQ will also need to be unlocked if not already.
    >>>

    >>Just get the Siemens SX66 from Cingular and you will be very pleased.
    >

    > Just noticed that on the Cingular website yesterday. Even went to a
    > Cingular store yesterday evening and was *very* impressed with the
    > saleswoman there. She was very knowledgeable and did a very impressive
    > job of helping out the customer before me.
    >
    > Anyway, she said that the SX66 wasn't out just yet. :(
    Ted

    Go to Cingular.com and you can order the SX66 today. I ordered mine last
    Sunday and received on Tuesday. Great device. Does not support EDGE, but
    with wifi and GPRS I am rather pleased. The pullput keyboard is
    pretty nice as well

Cingular Ipaq Internet Service Providers