Using a Proxy connection to install programs.. not working..

I would like to install some programs that need access to
the internet to finish installation. To prevent corrupeted
software and ensure a smooth installation, I will need to
disable my AV, therefore I think it will be safer for me
to do the install in Safe Mode using a proxy connection.

However, I have not been successuful in connecting to the
Net in safe mode. Even after I choose "Advance Settings"
and gave the proxy's name and port my ISP provided me with.

What is that I'm doing wrong? Am I following the right
procedure to install using a proxy? And can anyone give
me an idea of why a proxy connection would be safer?

Thank you so much for you help! :)

Rocio

The ISP that provided you with the proxy information would be able to
troubleshoot this particualr issue for you in a much more efficent manner.
This is because they know exactly what type of proxy they have and what to
put into IE to configure it. They can also walk you through the process. To
simply configure a proxy in Internet Explorer you can review the KB
articles found here:

135982 How to Configure Internet Explorer to Use a Proxy Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=135982

This article is for configuring Proxy autodiscovery:
252898 HOW TO: Enable Proxy Autodiscovery in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=252898

Other pertinant articles include:
310296 HOW TO: Configure Internet Explorer 6.0 as a Web Proxy Client in
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310296

Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
or opinions of Microsoft.

Elijah,
It was not until today that I read your response, thanks for your
suggestions. I have changed the settings of IE and hopefully I will be able
to access the internet in safe mode as I install new programs.

I have also read some of the articles suggested which have helped to
increase my understanding of how to use a proxy connection.

Thanks again!

Rocio :)

""Elijah Landreth [MSFT]"" <a-elijal@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The ISP that provided you with the proxy information would be able to
> troubleshoot this particualr issue for you in a much more efficent manner.
> This is because they know exactly what type of proxy they have and what to
> put into IE to configure it. They can also walk you through the process.
> simply configure a proxy in Internet Explorer you can review the KB
> articles found here:
>
> 135982 How to Configure Internet Explorer to Use a Proxy Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=135982
>
> This article is for configuring Proxy autodiscovery:
> 252898 HOW TO: Enable Proxy Autodiscovery in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=252898
>
> Other pertinant articles include:
> 310296 HOW TO: Configure Internet Explorer 6.0 as a Web Proxy Client in
> Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310296
>
> Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
> Microsoft Server Setup Team
>
> Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
> Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
> See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
>
> NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
> others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
> more timely response. Thank you!
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
> implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
> merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
> The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
> not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
> Microsoft.
> or opinions of Microsoft.

TRENDING THREADS