Windows 2000 Dos install

Hi,

i am trying to install windows 2000 onto a laptop which
doesn't have a CD ROM drive. When i got the laptop it had
Windows XP installed and 2 partitions. I managed to
network it and copy the I386 directory to the secondary
partition with all its relevant drivers, now im may of
messed up here but what i did next was boot the latop up
from a windows 98 boot disk deleted the primary partition
holding XP OS, i then enabled smart drive and ran the
winnt.exe from the I386 directory on the secondary
partition. Everthing worked from there, it copied the
files etc but when it needs to reboot to start the setup
nothing happens, all i get is 'Missing operating system'.

I tried running Fdisk from the 98 startup disk creating a
a primary dos partition and making it active but this
doesn't work neither all i get get is 'Missing operating
system'.

Can someone help, any suggestion would be appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 install

    I am not sure if i am definately correct with this but i
    think the problem is that you copied over the i386
    directory but there are other things that go with it not
    just the files in that directory. Also since it was
    upgraded to xp deleting from a partition you could of lost
    some of your crucial files. just a thought
    Kathy

    "Jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am trying to install windows 2000 onto a laptop which
    > doesn't have a CD ROM drive. When i got the laptop it had
    > Windows XP installed and 2 partitions. I managed to
    > network it and copy the I386 directory to the secondary
    > partition with all its relevant drivers, now im may of
    > messed up here but what i did next was boot the latop up
    > from a windows 98 boot disk deleted the primary partition
    > holding XP OS, i then enabled smart drive and ran the
    > winnt.exe from the I386 directory on the secondary
    > partition. Everthing worked from there, it copied the
    > files etc but when it needs to reboot to start the setup
    > nothing happens, all i get is 'Missing operating system'.
    >
    > I tried running Fdisk from the 98 startup disk creating a
    > a primary dos partition and making it active but this
    > doesn't work neither all i get get is 'Missing operating
    > system'.
    >
    > Can someone help, any suggestion would be appreciated

    Since you installed WinXP when booting from a Win98 boot
    disk, your primary partition must be FAT32. You can now
    do this:
    1. Boot the machine with your Win98 boot disk.
    2. Run fdisk.exe and make double sure that the WinXP
    partition is set to "active".
    3. Get a copy of bootpart.exe from
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm
    and run this command:
    bootpart winnt boot:c:

    If this does not help, do this:
    1. Boot the machine with your Win98 boot disk.
    2. Run fdisk.exe and make double sure that the WinXP
    partition is set to "active".
    3. Type this command:
    sys c:
    4. Reboot the machine. It will now boot into DOS7.
    5. Run this command:
    bootpart winnt boot:c:

    If this does not help then you need to examine your WinXP
    installation. You can do this with a WinXP boot disk:
    - Format a floppy disk on some other WinXP/2000 PC.
    Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work.
    - Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD
    to A:\
    ntldr
    ntdetect.com
    - Copy the hidden file c:\boot.ini to a:\
    - Boot the machine with this disk.

    If it works then your installation is OK (but the boot
    environment is not). It it does not work then you
    have a problem with your WinXP installation.

    The i386 directory contains installation files only.
    It is never used for the day-to-day operation.

    > I am not sure if i am definately correct with this but i
    > think the problem is that you copied over the i386
    > directory but there are other things that go with it not
    > just the files in that directory. Also since it was
    > upgraded to xp deleting from a partition you could of lost
    > some of your crucial files. just a thought
    > Kathy

    Your problem is most likely the MBR, boot sector, or "active"
    partition setting (or lack thereof). See
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321626>.

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

    "Jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i am trying to install windows 2000 onto a laptop which
    > doesn't have a CD ROM drive. When i got the laptop it had
    > Windows XP installed and 2 partitions. I managed to
    > network it and copy the I386 directory to the secondary
    > partition with all its relevant drivers, now im may of
    > messed up here but what i did next was boot the latop up
    > from a windows 98 boot disk deleted the primary partition
    > holding XP OS, i then enabled smart drive and ran the
    > winnt.exe from the I386 directory on the secondary
    > partition. Everthing worked from there, it copied the
    > files etc but when it needs to reboot to start the setup
    > nothing happens, all i get is 'Missing operating system'.
    >
    > I tried running Fdisk from the 98 startup disk creating a
    > a primary dos partition and making it active but this
    > doesn't work neither all i get get is 'Missing operating
    > system'.
    >
    > Can someone help, any suggestion would be appreciated

Windows 2000 Partition Windows