HD input to computer

JimmyMcAwesome

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Alright, heres the deal, im building a new computer for University, and i want some way to connect my shinny new 360 up to it.

So im already planning on getting a 8800GTS 320, and ive read stuff about it having some sort of HDTV connectivity, but i dont know if it has component input on the dongle.

I also dont know what display to get, so if i can find something that has a HD tunner with component input for a reasonable price, i could get that, im looking for for a 19 or 20 incher that has a 1680x1050 resolution, 720p is a must. Something in the 200-350 dollar (Canadian) price range would be good. Well, i could use some tips on a decent gaming monitor with if any of you happen to know any.

And if i cant find anything like that, does anyone know of a tunner card i could get, i just need component input, no recording or anything else really.

I know thats a lot, but i like my 360. Any ideas or places to start would be great.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Your question seems to be the big challenge these days. Anybody see a huge marketing opp, here?

The only video cards I am aware of that have digital input are ATI cards. You're looking for a card that has VIVO -- video in, video out. All of the reasonably-priced TV tuners, and the VIVO cards, are composite input, not component. Unless you're willing to pop the big bucks, or have digital coax outputs on the 360, I don't currently see a reasonable alternative. I am aware the ATI Theater650 has an input block, but I don't know what those input options are, or if any are digital. I would be cautious of that unit, as it had hardware issues that resulted in a pull-back in October of last year. Don't know the status of the re-issue.

Here's a Tom's H/W article on the topic:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/22/video_capture/

cattbert

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I am just wondering why you want to go into the computer? To capture screen shots / video of your gaming? I have a friend that has his 360 hooked up to his monitor, but I don't know of anyone who has gone into their computer. Although I am familiar with quite a few video capture cards, I do not know of any that have anything better than s-video (the ATI HD is limited to over-the-air).

JimmyMcAwesome

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
I want it into my computer not for capture or anything, but because i dont have enough money for a tv to hook it up to on top of a computer, but i might just bite the bullet and buy a VGA adapter.