which 8800 gtx? evga or bfg?

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
im thinking of either getting an EVGA 8800gtx card for 365 pounds, or the BFG overclocked card which costs 375. other than these 2, theres also a OCuk one costing 350.

i like the idea of being able to step up with the EVGA card, which i guess id probably do if nvidia release an 8900 in under 3 months time.

Also is there any point getting the overclocked bFG card? i won't be overclocking any of my cards, i just wondered if it was worth an extra 25 pounds for however many extra frames.

I don't care about sli, as my motherboard has only 1 pci-e slot. Other than that, theres nothing fancy i need, i have only 1 monitor (an old lcd one)

EVGA card: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4BM0&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=8800&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50385

BFG card: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-035-BG

OCuk card: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-051-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=877

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I dont know much about OCuk but i suggest it, seeing as BFG/EVGA are North American based Companies and eVGA is going to cost you 60 EURO more its kind silly Also since all 8800GTX's are the same it shouldnt matter much.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I have the BFG and it runs great. They overclock well if you got XP. In vista you can't overclock because it won't let you for some reason. Anywho the 8800 GTX kicks ass.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
theres been some confusion, actualy what i wrote is that the ocuk one costs 350, and the bfg costs 375. so theres only a difference of 25 pounds, and then the evga one costing just 15 pounds more than the ocuk one. Also the bfg card has a lifetime warranty which sounds pretty nice.

does anyone know when nvidia is likely to release their 8900 card? has there been anything anoucned about this?

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
yes, i think ill go with the evga card. just a couple of questions though:

1. with the steup-up program do u get a refund for the amount which you paid to begin with, or just what your card is worth when you want to stepup? because obviousley the 8800gtx will drop a fair bit in price when the 8900 is released. However either way this doesnt put me off going for it

2. I think im gunna buy from Dabs.com, unless i can find it cheaper. Do they offer the stepup program to all the retailers? i was reading the information and it said that it offers to Europe so that should be ok.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Well your answer to 1 is that they honour the amount that you paid for it as long as your able to provide them an invoice to show them how much you paid.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have two Evga 8800gtx, the first was a dud, bad voltage regulator, I had to send it back and it was past the 30 days so Newegg wouldn't take it back and Evga wanted extra money to do a cross ship.

I was stuck, I had to buy a second 8800gtx in the meantime so I thought it must be just a fluke and I bought an 8800gtx KO AC3 the factory overclocked model thinking it would run cooler. It didn't, it ran hotter but it worked ok, no voltage problems.

I finally got the replacement 8800gtx, some generic green reference design but it works and synced up with the other one no problems.

So my judgement, get the extra RMA warranty, don't spend extra money on the fancy KO version, but if you have problems it is a lifetime warranty so you will eventualy be ok.

just some real life advise,...the kind I like, no speculations or skewed opinions

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
1. with the steup-up program do u get a refund for the amount which you paid to begin with, or just what your card is worth when you want to stepup? because obviousley the 8800gtx will drop a fair bit in price when the 8900 is released. However either way this doesnt put me off going for it

2. I think im gunna buy from Dabs.com, unless i can find it cheaper. Do they offer the stepup program to all the retailers? i was reading the information and it said that it offers to Europe so that should be ok.

Read this it will answer all your questions