Lost "My Network Places" icon & system files

I stupidly deleted my "My Network Places" icon (and
possibly the system files) many months ago, never dreaming
I would need them. Now I do. How can I easily restore that
part of the OS?
3 answers Last reply
More about lost network places icon system files

    Hi

    You have not mentioned how you deleted the "My Network Icon". Any way this
    can be disabled from desktop as well as you can remove it through a group
    policy in domain if the system is a member of the domain controller. In
    your case I am not able to understand the exact configuration. Even you can
    remove this icon by modifying the registry also. Before doing all these
    please have a look at your network card configuration and tcp/ip settings
    whether they are enabled or not. You can do a workaround with the help of
    the following link

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826

    Hi,

    All I did to delete the My Network Places was to delete
    the icon from the desktop.

    I will follow up your suggestion to check out the items in
    the referenced KB article when I get back to my house next
    week, where the affected PC resides. I will come back on
    to the group if I can't get at the root of the problem
    then. Thanks.

    Vic

    us;825826

    >.

    Vic - deleting the desktop icon did nothing except delete that icon.

    To replace the icon on your desktop:
    - open Explorer,
    - size Explorer so you see both it and the desktop,
    - leftclick on Explorer's "My Network Places" icon, and
    - drag and drop it over on the desktop.

    Vic Ridgley wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > All I did to delete the My Network Places was to delete
    > the icon from the desktop.
    >
    > I will follow up your suggestion to check out the items in
    > the referenced KB article when I get back to my house next
    > week, where the affected PC resides. I will come back on
    > to the group if I can't get at the root of the problem
    > then. Thanks.
    >
    > Vic

Microsoft Windows